Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 05:10

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

I have been doing the gym thing on and off for a while now, I just signed up for another 20 month membership, I now have a personal trainer for 1 session per month (1hr long) and I can only do 5 minute slots on the treadmill and bike as I get too puffed but I can build on that but I LOVE weight training. I adore feeling strong and feeling that muscle developing (even if it is under a significant layer of insulation but I also am starting Atkins when I am already weight training so I guess I won't notice any difference in weight loss compared to it if I wasn't doing weights...

Fiona
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 06:42

Plan: Atkins started 1/2/03
Stats: 302/260/185
BF:47/38/23
Progress: 36%
Talking To quikdeb

You made me smile! I am glad I am getting someone to think about exercise. Certainly, if you have any questions, you can post them in my journal or send me a PM. Once again, not an expert, but I can speak to how good I feel!

On another note, I have not read this so I am not sure how good it works, but there are two books that talk about slow burn weight lifting, which means you do each rep for 10 sec! Doing it for soooo long helps to really burn fat and build muscle. An interesting concept! Oh, and did I mention that the two authors feel you can work out once per week and get results with their method. Like I said, I am not sure how much it works, but reading people's reviews is at least motivating. If you are interested, do a search on quick burn in amazon or yahoo.

On a side note, today is official weigh in, and it is still 3 lbs this week! Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely thrilled! I did an extra ab class last night, and I am paying for it today!!!!!!

Amy
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 08:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Ruth

hiya

Ruth if it hurts like that don't do it... there are other ways to exercise the hamstring without causing yourself pain... exercise shouldn't hurt... there's a difference between feeling some effort and feeling pain... real pain means it's either too much or improper form...

I too have a cranky knee and one of the best things for that is leg extensions... strengthens the tendons and such on either side of the knee and helps to balance it... not to mention working the front of the thigh...

best rule is don't buy that no pain no gain crap... effort is different than pain... if it hurts don't do it... and make sure you stretch...
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 09:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/288/197
BF:
Progress: 11%
Smile More ???

Ok another ??
To those of you who use Pilates. Do you find that when you are down on your back lifting your legs in the air that it hurts the top of your butt? Like on the hip area but more on your back side? Mine kills me like I am laying on 2 basketballs. I just wondered it anyone else had this problem. I stopped doing the Pilate floor ones because of that reason, and have just been lifting.
Thanks to all of you who responded! I have learned alot.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 18:33

Stats: 318/243.4/160 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:60%/41.85%/23%
Progress: 47%

Hi Pokey

I'm doing Intermediate Pilates right now. It's supposed to be the original version, although I actually don't know what all the different Pilates workouts are like. I follow a book by Brooke Siler as well as some Audio CD's by her. I really like it a lot! I never felt any pain like you describe. Are you sure your form is correct. If you're ab muscles are too weak to support your lower back then you can get pain then. Maybe what you could do is modify those exercises in such a way to still work your abs and yet prevent the back pain. I really do think that its lack of strength in your abs resulting in poor support of your legs that, in turn, over stresses the muscles in your lower back.

I hope that helps

Julie Huck
310/277/160

Last edited by Julie Huck : Fri, Feb-14-03 at 18:35.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 20:39
Fitday PC's #1 Fan

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 310/151.0/152.5 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 101%

I'm doing beginner Pilates now, using books by Brooke Siler and Alycea Ungaro.

I haven't exactly had the basketball thing you describe, but in doing the hundred, advancing from the modified one with bent knees to straight legs and then to lowering straight legs, I definitely have a point as I lower my legs that I don't yet have the abdominal and lower back strength to hold that position with good form. It IS uncomfortable and somewhat strained at that point, so I go back to the lowest point I can hold without strain and work it there.

I can see improvements in strength daily, first seeing more stability in the position, and then seeing the ability to move a smidge more away from modified form toward the full exercise. At this point, though, an inch up or down in my leg position makes a huge difference.

One nice thing about the Siler book is that the goals for the modified beginner series are different than the goals for the beginner level of the same exercises. You start out with goals that center on just getting the core of your body positioned right, and then you move up to then next step. It's worth taking the time to go slowly, even though the feeling of lack of strain might not be what you usually associate with exercise. You actually develop strength gains amazingly fast - even though you only work within your current comfort level.

Lynda
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 22:28

Stats: 269/245/150 Female 5ft 10in
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Note to Ruth

Hate to hear about anyone's knees hurting, ow! We need our knees to stay pain-free, we certainly rely on them everyday.
I'm curious to know if your gym has a pool. If so, does it offer water-aerobics? It's an exercise that is so easy on the joints because of the bouyancy factor.(I confess I just made up that word :blush And you can take the exercises at your own pace so as not to get your heartrate up too high in the beginning.
I'm so proud of you going to the gym. But don't be afraid to tell your trainer if you're in pain. There's a big difference between exertion and damage. You're paying good money for their advice and from my experience, you're going to be learning exercises that you can use all your life.
Keep up the great work. If we can turn off the idea that a goal is hard and think that it just takes alot of little steps to get there we're doing good.
Happy Valentine's Day
Elaine
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 22:52
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Elaine and PWW -

Thanks to both of you. I talked to my trainer today, and he agreed that this kind of pain wasn't what we were looking for, so we're going to work on strengthening the joint before we do more on that particular machine.

As to the pool, no, my gym doesn't have one, and I have to admit that even if they did, going public in a bathing suit at my weight is simply more than I can contemplate. It's about all I can do to appear fully clothed. Truth is, I'd borrow Harry Potter's invisibility cloak if I could!! The amazing thing is how kind everyone has been. Not once since I've been there has anybody looked at me with disgust -- or if someone has, I haven't seen it. I'm very thankful.

--Ruth
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 07:47

Plan: Atkins started 1/2/03
Stats: 302/260/185
BF:47/38/23
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally posted by RGale
Elaine and PWW -

The amazing thing is how kind everyone has been. Not once since I've been there has anybody looked at me with disgust -- or if someone has, I haven't seen it. I'm very thankful.

--Ruth

Ruth,

That has been my experience also. Most people seem to be thrilled that you are concerned about your body enough to work out. The amazing thing you may find, as I have, is that even the perfect bodies at the gym have blazing insecurities about themselves.

For example, I was at a special ab class the other night. Only 4 of us....me (pretty darn overweight), two very normal weight, and "Barbie". I was pretty nervous about doing some of the exercises in front of Barbie, because darn, she looks so good and has such good form, and already has a six-pack! Well, Barbie struck up a conversation with me, told me her real name is Barb , and was very very nice. She is insecure about the way she looks, more so than me in my opinion, and was not in the least judgmental about me or my weight. She was so concerned about her imperfections that I am not even sure she was aware of mine. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't as if she walked around like a wallflower, but just because I thought she looked perfect, she sure didn't!

Anyhow, I am just starting to ramble now, but I hope you understand what I am trying to say!

Amy
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 07:59
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Twenty years ago when I lived in San Francisco, the public pool near me had one evening a week reserved for women who wore plus-sized clothes. At that time, I somewhat resented it and thought about "sneaking" in (I think I was about a size 12 -- I definitely was not in plus-sized clothes then), because sometimes I wanted to swim on that night. (I've always been a lap swimmer.) Now I think, wouldn't it be wonderful if more public pools did that? It must have provided the women with a lot of support and an opportunity to connect with each other.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 17:36

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

It has always been a dream of mine to open a gym only for plus sized individuals. I think it would be so cool to have a safe place to go.

Deb
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 01:23

Stats: 269/245/150 Female 5ft 10in
BF:
Progress: 20%
Cool Check it out

Hey there all,
If you're reading this then you may be interested to see the thread "Body fat dropping". Amy just got back some great results from lifting weights.

And Ruth, glad to see your trainer is getting in there and working on strengthening your muscles so hopefully no knee aches. So proud of you going. Stay with that trainer, good value!
Elaine