Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 08:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/230/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%
Unhappy Need some help :/

Ok, I know this may sound corny.. but.. I am embarrassed to go outside, and I want to start walking *so* bad. I just can't seem to get the courage to do it. I have no problem going shopping, or to work, but I shudder at the thought of walking outside alone. I have this urge to take someone with me, kind of like the ladies going to the bathroom thingy, but alas, no one to join me.

Suggestions on how to deal with this? Mental exercises to tell myself to break the fear?

*blushing*
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 09:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default hmmm

it's not corny at all...

I've never had a problem going anywhere or doing anything regardless of my size... but there are a couple things you can do that might help..

determine where you will be walking... if you don't have to worry about getting run over then what I use is a portable mp3 player... mine uses discs I burn myself from my computer but you can get them with direct download from your machine... or even just a cd that you already have... the best part about mp3s is you can mix your own music and choose your favourite butt moving songs... slip the headphones on and be in your own headspace...

make sure you have the right gear... good shoes... comfortable clothes that you can sweat in... make a ritual of it... putting on certain clothes means you're moving into walking mode and that's all you think about during that time... not the environment so much as what you're doing to help yourself and to improve your health...

one thing I've found that's good for making sure you get your exercise is to make an appointment with yourself... even put it in your daytimer if you have one... if you make an appointment with the doctor or for a hair cut you make sure you're there on time and you allot the time required... do the same for your exercise and keep at it... eventually you won't even think about it... you'll just do it automatically...
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 10:04
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Do you have any neighbors that would let you borrow a dog? The dog could be your "cover".

Concentrate on taking deep, steady, breaths. It will calm you as well as give you the oxygen intake you need.

Look around you and find things of beauty to note. Doesn't have to be natural, the patterns of cracks on the road can look good too. Feel the air or the sun on you.

Start slowly. If you only feel comfortable with half a block at first, do it. Slowly work your way up to going a little further each day. Like anything else you want to get good at, all it takes is a little practice. You'll soon find that you have nothing to feel uncomfortable about.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 10:59
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I've suffered from various anxieties at various times in my life and went through some sessions of cognitive therapy about five years ago to help me deal with anxiety. I can't repeat the entire cognitive therapy process in a post (and urge you to see a cognitive therapist if your anxieties continue), but what I learned to do with the cognitive therapist is think through the entire situation. What is the worse thing that can happen if someone sees you taking a walk? How will you react to that? Is it really that awful? Sometimes just working through an issue in your head helps deal with the general feeling of panic. Sometimes it even helps to write down a whole scenario for a walk (or whatever else you are anxious about) like it is a story.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 11:45

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 285/227/170 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Heya Fantasia!

Would you feel comfy with headphones and mp3's doing laps in some commercial place? Our hick town has two (count 'em, 2) malls, one of which has an organized walking program. Once around the perimeter is half a mile (or some such distance) ... people bring walking sticks and other things like ski poles. Every shape and size of human being is welcome and encouraged to join the club, and they keep records FOR YOU to chart your progress. And ... people in malls are pretty much invisible to people who are there to shop. =D

When I walk outside I bring my sweet doggie with me. I think people are less likely to hassle a woman with a potentially lethal canine companion. Got a pet?

Anyway, you are determined, and I KNOW you will find a way. Thanks for asking a question that will probably help a LOT of people!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 13:24

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

I agree with Netters and Karen. Try starting out small. Go a block and add to it each day until that initial feeling of dread goes away. I promise it will. I felt the same as you, but after a short time I looked forward to that freedom and that time to myself to have an uninterupted thought. I always carried a phone for safety, but noone was allowed to call me.

The mall is a great place to. I'm sure you don't think twice about being alone there. Just don't go into any stores. You'll be exercising, and noone will know or care but you.

Keep us posted.

Deb