Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: For TDC'ers, how many minutes of formal exercise to you average per week?
0, Me exercise? You're kidding, right? 1 2.56%
1-50 minutes - I'm just gettin' started. 10 25.64%
51-90 minutes - I can't find any more time! 7 17.95%
91-120 minutes - I'm in it for the long haul. 2 5.13%
121-150 minutes - I need it to trim the fat. 3 7.69%
151-420 - I love the way it makes me feel. 14 35.90%
421 and higher - I wanna be a body builder! 2 5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 08:01

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%
Default How many minutes of exercise?

How many minutes of FORMAL exercise do you perform on an average per week?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 08:06
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

In an average week, I do four to five hours (240 to 300 minutes) of walking or swimming -- more walking in the winter and more lap swimming in the summer when my neighborhood pool is open, although I do swim at the YMCA sometimes in the winter. I walk at a pretty brisk pace and when I do it on the treadmill I set it for an uphill incline. I can walk about 3.5 miles in an hour and I can swim about a mile in an hour (I swim front crawl exclusively -- I never got good at the other strokes). Lately, when I do the treadmill, I have occasionally been alternating jogging (5 mph) for about a quarter of a mile at a time with walking. About a quarter of a mile is the longest I can jog right now, but I am trying to increase that.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 08:10

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Exercise? What is that?

I'm suppose to exercise!!!!!

If I I'd slap myself in the face.....

Kidding aside....I started walking.

Nothing "FORMAL" at this time.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 08:36
Fitday PC's #1 Fan

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 310/151.0/152.5 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 101%

I hike for 1/2 hr to 1 hour per day. Some of it is brisk walking, some slower, and some is steep hill climbing. When we moved to Ohio 18 months ago, we intentionally picked a property and jobs that encourage exercise.

We just finished fencing the perimeter of our 15 acres so now we don't have to keep as close an eye on the goats and dogs when we hike. Plan for the next year is to add some heavy work (cleaning up downed timber) to my exercise program.

Lynda

Last edited by UpTheHill : Sun, Jan-11-04 at 08:38.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 13:21
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

4 days a week I jog for about 20 minutes, then do very brisk walking for another 10, then regular walk for 10.
Another 2 days a week I walk for 40 minutes.

Every other day I do weight baring exercise to strengthen muscles.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 14:20
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

When I added my workout times together, I counted time spent weight lifting and walking together because they are both exercise to me. I average around 690 minutes a week and that is sometimes on the low side. So I guess according to the poll I want to be a body builder. (As if anyone would want to be muscle bound and bulky)

My weighlifting times vary depending on how long I rest between sets. Because my goal is weight loss and not increasing muscle mass, my high rep range is 20 with less rest and lighter weights, and my low rep range is 15 with heavier weights and more rest.

It's a funny thing, some people hear the words light, medium and heavy when it comes to weights and immediately compare it to their own strength level. Some lifters probably wonder how can you get big muscles if you lift light weights? I try to remember that one persons light may be heavier than some others can even lift for one rep, so it's all relative to the person lifting the weights.

Besides there are various goals to lifting weights other than lifting to ones max using heavy weights all of the time.

When I walk and lift weights, I try to be conscious of working both fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers so I feel like I got a good workout. Of course technically, according to the literature, to work fast twitch fibers you need to be sprinting or lifting heavy weights.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 15:57

Plan: Atkins - Modified OWL
Stats: 290/250/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 26%

I average about two twenty minute sessions on my stationary bike a week but I am planning on increasing that soon I hope
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 17:45

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 265/244/145 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I started Body for Life so I'm now getting 3 days of appx 50 min weights and 3 days of 20 min cardio for appx 210 min. a week, up 210 min from what I was doing this time last month!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 17:50

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 322.4/287/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 22%

The past week not much lol- been too cold to get out and I don't have anything here at home. Basically been running up and down the stairs a lot and dancing around with the little one. When it warms up I'll be walking around 6 to 8 miles 4 to 6 days a week. If hubby is home in the evenings I'll be going to the gym- but he's rarely home so I don't see that happening any time soon.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 17:51
Registered Member

Plan: Custom
Stats: 410/253/240 Male 72
BF:Wow/30%/???
Progress: 92%

Around 300 minutes.

Lift weights about 3 hours

Walk about 2.5 hours

On weeks I play golf, the total exceeds 450 minutes.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 18:20

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I go to the gym 3 times a week for weight training. On an average I spend about an hour there each time. I would like to start doing some kind of cardio on alternate days..(but i really hate cardio), so its always been a struggle.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 19:50

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I love my advanced tae bo tapes and do them 3-4 times a week (1hr each) alternating with leslie sansone's walk away the pounds videos on the other days.

also do a light amount of situps/leglifts and very light weightlifting

I really recommend those tae bo tapes (I did start out with the beginners one of course though!!!)
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 14:33
Registered Member

Stats: 200/192/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I do about 20 min of Pilates and approx. 45 min on my Gazelle daily. Every other day I add weights for toning (mostly arms).
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 19:37
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins for breastfeeding
Stats: 250/245/150 Female 5'5"
BF:2Much junk N trunk
Progress: 5%

I do aerobics five days a week, 1 hour each time.