Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 17:49
Registered Member

Plan: inductioon
Stats: 270/270/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation Older? Wiser? A Lot To Lose? Newbie Seeks Connections

[B][SIZE=7][COLOR=Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS]
ON MY EIGHTH DAY OF INDUCTION DIET, FEELING VERY MUSHY MINDED AND NOT ABLE TO CONCENTRATE, ?
INDUCTION WAS ROUGH , BUT AT THIS POINT ,I THOUGHT THAT I WOULD FEEL MORE CLEAR MINDED????
I"M VERY OVERWEIGHT

(AND A VERY VITAL ,FUNNY 65 YEARS OLD,
I CAN"T BELIEVE IT!)

I REALLY NEED SOME PEOPLE TO TALK WITH!

SOME NEWBIE QUESTIONS;

WHEN WILL MY MIND BECOME CLEAR? I"M A SOCIAL WORKER AND IT WAS
SOOOO DIFFICULT TO DO MY REPORTS TODAY!IT FELT LIKE RUNNING IN THE MUD,
(AND I THINK THAT I PROBABLY DID THEM WRONG ANYWAY!)
WOLD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR WISDOM, EXPERIENCE AND ADVISE,
OR TO COMMISERATE WITH ANOTHER NEWBIE!!!

HOW MUCH CHEESE IS OKAY ? HAVEN'T BEEN LOSING WEIGHT THE FIRST WEEK AND I THINK THAT IT MAY BE THE CHEESE?

DO YOU KNOW WHY THE DIET IS THE SAME FOR EVERYONE REGARDLESS OF AGE OR WEIGHT???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 19:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello Susan and welcome to the board. Sorry you are feeling fuzzy but would you please turn off the Key Caps for your posts? That is known as "yelling" when used on bulletin boards. Much appreciated. It's also very hard to read.

Your stated plan is interesting. Did you mean "Atkins" and you are doing Induction? If so, then all you have to do is follow the rules in the book.

You might need to raise your carb amounts by 5 grams to 25 grams to handle the brain fog. Just eat more veggies and salad.

The cheese is limited to hard (not processed) cheese like real Cheddar or brick, and only 2 ounces per day of that. An ounce is a cube measuring 1 inch on each side. Don't use Velveeta, Cheez Whiz, soft cheese like Brie or cream cheese on Induction.

The foods you eat during Induction are the same for everyone but the results may not be.
--Men lose more and faster than women. --Post-menopausal women lose slowly.
--People who have been on low cal or low fat diets may lose slower for a while.
--You may be losing inches but not pounds to begin with. If you have been doing low cal for a while, you may be short of protein and now your body is grabbing all it can to make overdue repairs. Measure lots of body parts & keep track, or notice how your clothes fit.

I hope the nasty scales start to move soon for you.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 19:28
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Susan: I am a retired social worker, and given the volume of reports required, I have often felt as though I was "running in the mud" many times. It had nothing to do with low carbing though, just work overload.

Didn't happen with me, but I hear that some folks feel quite muddled (or muddied, in your case) for the first few weeks. And then things clear.

As for the cheese, I think it would be a good idea for you to look back over the Atkins Diet Revolution book. I can't remember the limitations at the moment, something like 2-4 ounces during induction as I recall, but I could be way off.

And as Tofi said, please do take your caps lock button off, as it is considered shouting.

I wish you well,

Kay
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-04, 21:22
Registered Member

Plan: inductioon
Stats: 270/270/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thank-you for the advise

Sorry about the " shouting", I didn't mean to be rude.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-04, 13:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/210/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Wink Just wanted to say hello and welcome

Hi Susandendy:

Nice to see some newbies. I am sort of new to this forum myself. I've only been on this forum for a couple of weeks. Lots of great people here.

I am 54 years young. Been LCing since Jan 2003 (the first time) and finally got remotivated this Feb 2004. Not sure how much I have lost so far since I can't find a scale that will give me a true reading. (I only know I am not 145 lbs. yet)
Darn!!! lol. All I know is that I am at my lowest. I've been using the clothes that I couldn't get into before to judge my losses. You will lose inches sometimes and it won't show on the scale. I know it is hard to get our heads around that but it is true.

I thought the foggy feeling was from menopause but maybe it is associated a little with the program. I am also on Atkins and really do like it a lot. I've tried everything in the past but this is by far my favorite WOE (way of eating). Hope that muddy feeling clears soon. Are you taking any multivitamins. Very important to do that.

If you are on induction the allowable ounces of cheese (hard) that you may eat a day is 4 ounces. This is not considered a free food so I would not eat it everyday. Or maybe just 1-2 ounces if you must. Did you do 2 weeks on the induction? That is key.

Well hope to see you around again. Don't give up it will happen when you least expect it.

" All things are possible" - Oprah

Marilyn
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 14:50

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

A few other low-carb plans advise older people against cutting carbs cold-turkey and recommend carb reduction gradually. Perhaps this is why it is taking you so long to feel better. It took me a full two to three weeks to feel great.