Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 09:18

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 156/152/130 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Need Help, Please!

I will be 49 years old in July. Did Atkins 7 years ago, very successfully. Lost 20 lbs. quickly and with no problem. For the past couple of years, I've started and abandoned several diet plans, just didn't have the determination. A few weeks ago I began to get seriously motivated, and 2 weeks ago I started Induction on Atkins. I have never gone below 20 carbs in those 2 weeks. The first week I gained 4 lbs. This morning, at the end of week 2, I weighed myself again and have found that I gained another pound! How and why is this happening? I took my measurements last week and checked them again this morning---no change! What is going on? Has anyone experienced anything like this?? This past week, I've kept on eye on calories as well as carbs. I have not been working out, am shopping for a gym. I have a dog that I take for walks everyday and long hikes on the weekends. Has anyone had success with Atkins at this age when it is not the first time around with the program? I've heard it is more difficult to lose after the first time. I just don't know what to do. Should I switch plans? Try South Beach? This is not a good space for me to be in. I do not want to start gaining again. HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-26-05, 14:45

Plan: self-designed
Stats: 216/189/190 Male tad under 6'
BF:
Progress: 104%

I am a tad older than yourself (74) and have been low-carbing since the late 60s (although had a break of around 17 years as a vegetarian and that diet nearly killed me). I found low-carbing by far the best way to lose weight but to lose weight rapidly there needs to be a fair spell of time in between periods of dieting. The body seems to have its own memory and if the length of break is not sufficiently long the body goes into what is known as the starvation mode when it preserves its weight rather than losing it.

Age does not appear to be a hindrance. I like to think that dieting has slowed my advancing years and it certainly does seem like it. Regretfully, I lost my first wife (after 46 years of togetherness) almost 8 years ago to breast cancer. She had put faith into what the 'authorities' said about healthy dieting and it culminated in her earlier demise.

Ten month later I found companionship in another woman and we have been together now for 6.5 years and married just over two years ago. I am healthy, fit, and still have an active libido and I feel that low-carbing has benefitted me.

How you manage to put on weight is perplexing and without knowing exactly what your diet consists of it is a bit difficult to come to your aid. Do try to believe me that at the age of 49 you are young. It is when you reach 55 that you are at the beginning (only) of old age and 75 sees the beginning of advanced old age.

My wife (60) says that although I am at an advanced stage in life that I neither look nor act old. I am unable to see how others see me, except to being aware that most people whom I encounter these days are younger and, at the last count, 27 of my contemporaries have passed-on.

I hope you find some reassurance in this comment. The photo of myself was taken 3 years ago.

Last edited by Duparc : Thu, May-26-05 at 14:52.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-26-05, 15:12

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Everyone's different, but I can tell you my weight loss has been very slow. I started lcing during menopause, not the best of times to try to lose weight! I lost for about a year, 20 pounds altogether, and then the weight loss stopped and then started to creep up no matter what I tried. Then just recently, I was diagnosed with a yeast infection. Because of my history, I am considering myself to have systemic candida. I'm treating it with diet, supplements to keep the yeast in check, and probiotics. I'm not gaining now, and it looks like I might be losing, but at my own snail's pace.
Other things to check out are low thyroid, hormones or other drugs, food allergies...
Hope you figure it out. Gail
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-26-05, 15:52

BF:

Gailew; if you have not tried virgin oregano oil taken together with olive leaf extract for candida then it is worthy of a try. A small caveat: should you try those and feel unwell it will be due to poison from the rapidly killed bacteria (or whatever) but it will wear off within a day or two when you should feel much better than you have done for a long time.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-26-05, 19:23

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Thank you, I am on those and other things as well, I'm throwing everything at it and later will rotate them...after more than 25 years of misery, I am feeling very much better, and hope the fatigue lifts soon...It's the last to go, or there's something else going on. -Gail
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 02:10

BF:

Gailew, If you are taking polyunsaturated oil in your diet, including fish oil, then try excluding it for a while to observe what happens. You will be aware that polyunsaturates depress the immune system and the thyroid and this could be a contributory factor in the persistency of your complaint.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 08:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/235/150 Female 5ft 5.5inches
BF:Started May 26 '05
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMusic
I have never gone below 20 carbs in those 2 weeks. The first week I gained 4 lbs. This morning, at the end of week 2, I weighed myself again and have found that I gained another pound! HELP!!!

Hi there... I am sure it's just a typo, but you said never went below 20 carbs, did you mean above?