Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 09:26
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Sugar, Vending Groups Take Action Against Obesity Claims

washingtonpost.com

Sugar, Vending Groups Take Action Against Obesity Claims

By Caroline E. Mayer and Dina ElBoghdady
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, January 13, 2005; Page E01

Two more food industry groups are taking the offensive against claims that their products play a role in the nation's growing obesity problem.

Concerned about efforts to curb the sale of junk food in schools, the vending machine trade association is teaming up with pro football Hall of Famer Lynn Swann to announce today its own $1 million campaign against childhood obesity. One feature will be rating the nutritional value of the food in the machines. A red sticker on a candy bar, for example, would mean it should be chosen rarely, while a green sticker on a granola bar would mean it's more nutritious and can be selected more frequently.

Meanwhile, the Sugar Association, worried about the declining sales, is going to spend at least $3 million a year for the next three years to give consumers "permission to use sugar," according to Melanie Miller, a spokeswoman for the association. "In moderation, it's not evil," she said, noting a teaspoon is only 15 calories.

The industry-sponsored drives come as the food industry is being blamed for the growing number of obese Americans, particularly children. The number of obese children has more than doubled in the past 30 years.

Many health care professionals and consumer activists are calling for greater government oversight of food advertising to kids, while dozens of school districts have started to change the mix of products in vending machines, replacing soda with water and chips with fruit.

Responding to those concerns, many companies are reformulating their products to make them more healthful. Others are launching programs to promote greater physical activity in school children. Yesterday, the nation's largest food company, Kraft Foods Inc., announced it would curb radio, TV and print ads for many of its snack foods, such as Oreos and Chips Ahoy, to children under 12.

The company and industry-wide efforts "are offensive, defensive and good strategy," said Paul Kurnit, head of KidShop, a New York marketing firm that advises food companies on promoting products to kids. "Manufacturers, marketers and advertisers are certainly feeling the heat about the whole issue of healthy lifestyles and obesity, and it's not going to go away."

The $30-billion-a-year vending machine industry has a lot at stake, with 16 percent of its 7 million machines in schools. Most of the machines are locally owned and operated by people "who are parents too and are just as concerned as everybody else about the whole devastating impact of childhood obesity," Richard M. Geerdes, president of the National Automatic Merchandising Association, said in a telephone interview yesterday.

"We feel vending machines can be part of the solution by offering the right kind of products," Geerdes said. His group's campaign will include special events and after-school programs to promote physical activity and nutrition, he said.

Helping launch that campaign will be a paid appearance by former Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Swann, who also serves as chairman of the President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports. His council role was noted in the trade group's initial notice about today's news conference, according to the Web site Corporatecrimereporter.com. That reference was a mistake and was dropped in subsequent notices, said the trade group's spokeswoman Jackie Clark, who added that Swann is appearing on his own behalf and is not representing the president's council.

Swann was unavailable to comment. Bill Pierce, a spokesman for the Department of Health and Human Services, which oversees the council, said Swann's presence is permissible and will further the administration's goal to encourage all programs that promote exercise and better nutrition.

The sugar association's advertising campaign is only its second, Miller said. The first, launched 20 years ago, was followed by a 12 to 15 percent increase in sales, she said. Now, sales are declining again -- down 4 percent last year -- a result of health concerns, low-carb diets and the popularity of alternative sweeteners, particularly sucralose, which is known as Splenda.

"We'd like to take back our identity," Miller said. "Instead of 'Splenda and spice and everything nice,' we'd like to go back to 'sugar and spice and everything nice.' "

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...av=rss_business
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 10:02

Stats: 280/215/194 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

"sugar in moderation is ok"

I hear this all the time. All the time. I think we all have a pathway to diebetes. For some of us it is 100 miles long others maybe 10 miles. But every gram of sugar is a step down that road.

Lets see, only 15 calories but absolutely zeo nutrition. It rots your teeth, makes you feal bad. Makes you eat more and probabaly leads to all kinds of other diseases. How do you promote that with a good conscious?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 10:31

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

I agree that sugar in moderation is okay for the average person. The problem is that the average diet is not moderate in its use of sugar.

As a low carber, I ues no sugar, but I recognize that others are not low carbers. My wife has no weight issue and enjoys a low to moderate use of sugar. She has a pop once or twice a week. That does not work for me, so I have diet pop...

So really, I agree with the sugar industry that moderate use of sugar should be the goal. They just need to realize that means cutting their market about in half.

Bruc
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 10:35
Blood,Sweat and Pain

Plan: My Own Home Grown
Stats: 231/153/160 Male 172cm
BF:
Progress: 110%
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn
I think we all have a pathway to diabetes. For some of us it is 100 miles long others maybe 10 miles.

I think I sprinted down the whole path and fell off the cliff at the end of it!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 13:49

Stats: 263/241/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:Above Avg.
Progress: 28%
Default Vending machine industry launches anti-obesity program

Vending machine industry launches anti-obesity programBy ASSOCIATED PRESSWASHINGTONUSA -

The vending machine trade association is launching an anti-obesity campaign to encourage healthful food choices, hoping to fend off efforts to remove machines from schools and improve the industry's image as concerns grow about the fattening of America.

The program, "Balanced for Life," is being unveiled Thursday at an event featuring pro football Hall of Famer Lynn Swann.

The effort by the National Automatic Merchandising Association includes a color-coded rating system for food sold in vending machines, indicating healthful choices and those that should be eaten in moderation.

The group hopes to influence public opinion by encouraging nutrition education and physical activity programs in schools and through media coverage, the association's Web site says.

On the Net: National Automatic Merchandising Association: http://www.vending.org

This should be very interesting to see. However, I'll give them credit for trying and putting some thought into the growing concerns of our future.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 14:53

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

It won't work for kids. Just like every teen wants to go to 'R' rated movies and shuns 'G' ones, the big demand will be for the RED forbidden items.