Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 00:51
There and Back Again

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Cool Best of the LC Tortillas, Breads, and Muffins

Hello! I thought I would start a new thread discussing the best of the low-carb bakery stuff.

LA TORTILLA FACTORY TORTILLAS

I've seen posts praising La Tortilla Factory tortillas and I also think they are great... with 9 grams of fiber and 3 net carbs, they are wonderful toasted in a toaster oven with a slice of cheese. Although they do not quite taste like regular tortillas, they have more texture and flavor. I've tried all 3 varieties... the whole wheat, green onion, and garlic, and they are all good.

They do keep in the refrigerator for a long time as well. I bought them online at Atkinscenter.com, but found them in my nearby Vitamin Cottage in the refrigerated section--yipee!

FOOD FOR LIFE - Low Carbohydrate Bread

Also found at my local Vitamin Cottage, this 3 net carbs bread is very moist and toasts up nicely, but it is a bit pricey arourd $3 US per 1 lb loaf.

ATKINS - Banana Nut Muffin & Cranberry Orange Muffin mix

These 2-net-carb-per-serving-muffins are both not bad. Very fluffy and a nice flavor. Not very sweet, however. I prefer the Cranberry Orange ones, however because I don't like nuts on the inside of banana bread.

As a whole, low carb products are still hard to find in my neck of the woods. GNC carries a limited selection, and most of the regular grocery stores have almost nothing.

I just bought a bunch of Keto stuff (per recommendations on the Keto thread), so I'm trusting you folks to give out good advice

Has anybody experimented with different low-carb baking products? The Atkins bake mix is okay, but not fluffy. I made some decent pancakes but they were pretty flat. I'd like to experiment with using straight soy gluten as a flour substitute, but I didn't know if it would work.

I found a pancake syrup that is mostly sugar alcohols, Carys, at my local Safeway. 12 grams carbs, 11 of which are sugar alcohols. I slipped it on the kids pancakes and none of the 4 noticed that it was a "sugar free" product. Has a nice thick texture.

I think I'll stick to Atkins syrup even though it is watery, though, so as not to stall too much on those sugar alcohols.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 16:27
Registered Member

Stats: 279.5/205/215 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

For a pancake and waffle mix, I have been creating a blended mix using the Atkins p/w mix (30-40%) and the Flax-o-Meal pancake/waffle mix (60-70%) from www.lowcarbsuccess.com. I have tried only the banana walnut variety. This creates quite a tasty mix, especially if you top it off with the new Log Cabin sugar-free syrup. Following label directions, I substitute heavy cream for some of the water (50% cream, 50% water).

Sure it's not quite the same as IHOP, but after being on the diet for a few months you will certainly appreciate being able to eat pancakes or waffles this good.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 22:59
There and Back Again

Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Talking MMMMM... FlaxOMeal!!

Your recipe sounds great! If the FlaxOMeal pancake mix is as good as their wonderful hot cereal, I'm sure it's a winner.

My husband and I are both fans of the Strawberries and Cream FlaxOMeal.

It's probably the best low-carb replacement food I've had.

I bought some of the Log Cabin SF syrup but haven't tried it yet, sounds good.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 10:04

Stats: 165/154/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%
Thumbs up WOW! Corn Tortillas with 2g Carbs

Had to share this one with everyone. If you're looking for a low carb tortilla to make mexican food with, I found one called Gardunos Corn tortilla (made in New Mexico).

Here's the info from the package:
Serving size: 3 tortillas (55g)
Calories: 31
Calories from fat: 3
Total Fat: .4g
Cholesterol: .0 g
Sodium: 41.3 mg
Carbs: 6.9 g
Fiber: 1.0 g
Sugars: 1.0 g
Protein: 1.2 g

Couldn't believe it. Now I can have three tacos or even chicken enchiladas and not blow my carb intake! I know you can get them here in the grocery stores, but not sure where else. I'll do some searching if anyone's interested.