Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-19, 08:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Just bought a ketone meter

KHC M3 KETONE BREATH to be exact. Impressed with price point and their calibration instructions.

Felt the need to be all science-y since I plan to Keto For Life.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-19, 10:02

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Let us know how your tests go. I've got a couple (Precision Xtra & KetoMojo) that I use occasionally, more in the beginning and now for validation when I increase protein or change anything else.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-19, 10:30

BF:

This is a first for me, as I never used the strips. And those are only good when you are spilling ketones, I understand.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-19, 15:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Let us know how your tests go. I've got a couple (Precision Xtra & KetoMojo) that I use occasionally, more in the beginning and now for validation when I increase protein or change anything else.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm not planning to try raising my carb level or anything, but it seems quite useful to know how different things will affect me, moving forward.

Like I can have a few spoonfuls of fruit with heavy cream with no hunger issues or anything, but I would like to know what lightens my ketosis; and if my bulletproof coffee with coconut oil deepens it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-19, 05:32

BF:

Woot! On two fronts: my ketone meter is supposed to arrive today, AND this gadget seems key to helping DH get on the keto wagon.

When he tried low carb, getting a glucose meter really turned his head around on what his food was doing to him. With the keto diet being integral to his continuing health improvements, I think getting feedback on his “usual meals” will help him evolve.

Or if he’s going Keto Paleo: would he be DEvolving?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-19, 07:13

BF:

This is a great tool for all of that, and the blood ketone meter gives you confidence that you're testing the most accurate source and not interpreting urine strips on a relative scale or converting from breath to blood.

I'm confident your DH will find his way. The meter for me, as mentioned, enables me to test course corrections. While I remain firmly or very close to fat adapted during the fall, winter, and early spring months, there are a few foods that I eat in the spring/ summer that might move the needle, and it's good to know how to not venture far from using fat as primary energy for a portion of the 24-hour day during sleep. This keeps it real and enables me to consider food variety while staying close to my foundation. It's also informative to measure after workouts or exercise to see how ketones are used. Typically for me, using ketones during exertion shows a drop in ketone level. That's a good sign.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-19, 13:23

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Been playing with since 4/28/2016 - Mostly out of curiosity. I don't think it helps much as tool but it 's fun to use. My most surprising result is the level goes down after exercise. Fast for 3 days and you'll definitely see changes.

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/daily.txt

Also the most confounding thing is when I experiment with massive amounts of sugar and fat at the same time, like a dozen donuts the results skyrockt as far as ketones in the breath. I'm guessing those are left over from shock of having to deal with the sugar and perhaps oxidizing all the donut fats. Who knows... Have fun tho!!

https://www.ketonix.com/
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-19, 15:40

BF:

Okay, it was 0.13. Which is light ketosis. The reading first thing in the morning is what a person should go by, manual said.

Nice machine! Compact, does the timing for you with beeps. Big clear numbers.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-19, 16:29

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Okay, it was 0.13. Which is light ketosis. The reading first thing in the morning is what a person should go by, manual said.

Nice machine! Compact, does the timing for you with beeps. Big clear numbers.

I wonder what your readings are at other times of the day. Maybe do it for fun to see what happens?

edit: just reaad that's what Thud is doing
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 01:52

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I bought the KetoMojo meter a month ago and it’s loads of fun. I find that I’m usually in the 0.4-0.6 range in the morning and then before my late dinner, I’m in the range of 0.7-0.9. But I’m never over that. I’ve read a lot about some people never getting over those ranges. I do OMAD 5 days a week and TMAD on the weekends. But it doesn’t seem to make a difference with the numbers. The highest I’ve seen is when I’ve had a lot fatty meat, almost enough to make me nauseated and it was 1.1. 🤷‍♀️ I’m not at all stressed or discouraged about it, but I do wonder why. I’ve been keto adaptated for at least 2 years and low carb for much longer than that. So, maybe my body has become efficient at using the ketones for energy? My calories are quite low now, so maybe that’s where I’m getting most of my energy. Before I exercise in the evening, I’ll be at 0.7 or something like that, but 0.4 or less immediately after exercising. Anyway, it’s a relief to me to see anything other than the dreaded “Lo” reading that I’ve gotten twice.

But my favorite feature is actually the blood glucose function. I’m doing that way more often, trying to see how foods frequently on my menu affect me. That’s been super enlightening. And lack of sleep. Wow! It will raise my waking glucose levels by more than 20points! I can’t believe how important sleep is for sugar regulation. Anyway, have fun!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 05:29

BF:

Regarding the measurements, they vary, just like anything else, and 0.13 doesn't mean you're not burning fat or producing the necessary ketones. My ketone measurements have been lowest in the morning and rise during the course of the day. As mentioned, they are usually lower after a workout or any sustained exertion. Here's a really good interview by HIH with Ben Bikman, and I don't have the point in time, but they discuss ketosis, measuring ketones (BHB), and interpretations. The observation by Bikman based on his N=1 measurements and research is very interesting in that he challenges the 0.5-5.0 assumption as proof of ketosis and wonders whether those who have been in ketosis on a regular basis are more efficient at using them; therefore, a lower measurement is the result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zX3tfuKIlo
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 06:20

BF:

Second reading, and now I feel like a scientist! My morning reading was .008, which was lower than the 0.13. I see now that other commenters have had the same experience.

Truth be told, I had a portion of watermelon for dinner, since we lucked into a rare good one, and that's not easy to find here in the Frozen North I had previously not had any hunger problems with fruit as a dessert after a high fat meal, so that's kind of my racetrack of experimentation right now. I rarely wander outside of berries in any case.

So: I'm still in ketosis, and that's great

One thing I had not run across in the reviews and sales page: the mouthpieces are meant to be used 10-15 times and then replaced. Which is not unreasonable, especially since it's cited as both a hygiene and a calibration issue. They give you five to start with.

My engineer brain section approves of the whole thing. You flip out this sturdy block on the side and put the mouthpiece on it. Yes, one side is square and one is round so you don't fumble it! That's fine design Seems to be standard in the breathmeter industry. That and two AA batteries are the extent of the replaceables.

I figure it will be like my Keto app on my iPad: play with it constantly for a month or so, and once I learn the rules of this new setup, I need it less. Like the app, it can spring back into action at a moment's notice.

And really, I need data. I used a glucose meter for a few weeks to test my response to meals when I got into Atkins, and this is the same kind of good data feedback.

Recently read a blog post by a women reminded people that if they start to feel not as sharp and energetic while on keto; they probably aren't in ketosis. She thought she was, but carb drift had taken her out. It's worth the $50 just to head that one off, since I am still recovering, and may for a while yet. I hope, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE2BEME
The highest I’ve seen is when I’ve had a lot fatty meat, almost enough to make me nauseated and it was 1.1. 🤷‍♀️ I’m not at all stressed or discouraged about it, but I do wonder why. I’ve been keto adaptated for at least 2 years and low carb for much longer than that. So, maybe my body has become efficient at using the ketones for energy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
The observation by Bikman based on his N=1 measurements and research is very interesting in that he challenges the 0.5-5.0 assumption as proof of ketosis and wonders whether those who have been in ketosis on a regular basis are more efficient at using them; therefore, a lower measurement is the result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zX3tfuKIlo

This make total sense to me, since it's the way the body works with everything else, isn't it? Ruthless efficiency.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 06:31

BF:

Since this is a thread for the keto-curious and practioniers: I feel it. I feel why people talk about "this is your brain on keto" and it's fantastic.

I was very sick, and so this is working from a low baseline I have not been able to think this clearly in a long time, and I can do it for a much longer time, and --this is key-- it doesn't have an unpleasant aftermath.

I am back on caffeine again, only stopping before noon and that seems to work the way people want it to: a charge of energy that really does last all day, and not interfere with sleep.

And keto brain, especially on coffee, is like that. I'd dropped caffeine because the energy didn't last and came with a hangover.

But not any more.

After noon I'll do a big mug of green tea, which Dr. Fung says helps release the fat cells and turn them into energy, along with the caffeine, which also helps. So I feel like I have a working system I understand after six months of implementation, and this keto meter is going to help me fine tune moving forward.

Also during this six months, I lost 25 pounds, which went past my goal weight in a big way, and since I plan to stay in ketosis and not leave, I might lose a few more. Though I am already getting well-meaning cautions by friends about how dramatically the loss shows.

I now weigh what I did in junior high, when the obsessive dieting began.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 07:14

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Similar finding on my meter and timing Brandy. No need to experiment with carb/fat overfeed like me tho, Otherwise you'd think that eating donuts raises acetone in the breath, even 24 hrs after ingestion, it does!

I think in order for these meters are limited: 1) in accuracy 2) in our technique in using them 3) in our in ability to eat and move exactly the same way for any length (more than a day or two) 4) more stuff here

Use them for fun but don't fool yourself that if you had a little bit of food X the day before and your measurement the next day is Y that X is the condition for Y

Try an experiment for yourself - Plan out a week of eating, as close as you can (measure) the same thing - limit all of your activity to the same steps on a pedometer and see if you get even close to the same result each day. You likely will not, but if you can, let me know so I can try it

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE2BEME
I bought the KetoMojo meter a month ago and it’s loads of fun. I find that I’m usually in the 0.4-0.6 range in the morning and then before my late dinner, I’m in the range of 0.7-0.9. But I’m never over that. I’ve read a lot about some people never getting over those ranges. I do OMAD 5 days a week and TMAD on the weekends. But it doesn’t seem to make a difference with the numbers. The highest I’ve seen is when I’ve had a lot fatty meat, almost enough to make me nauseated and it was 1.1. 🤷‍♀️ I’m not at all stressed or discouraged about it, but I do wonder why. I’ve been keto adaptated for at least 2 years and low carb for much longer than that. So, maybe my body has become efficient at using the ketones for energy? My calories are quite low now, so maybe that’s where I’m getting most of my energy. Before I exercise in the evening, I’ll be at 0.7 or something like that, but 0.4 or less immediately after exercising. Anyway, it’s a relief to me to see anything other than the dreaded “Lo” reading that I’ve gotten twice.

But my favorite feature is actually the blood glucose function. I’m doing that way more often, trying to see how foods frequently on my menu affect me. That’s been super enlightening. And lack of sleep. Wow! It will raise my waking glucose levels by more than 20points! I can’t believe how important sleep is for sugar regulation. Anyway, have fun!!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 07:20

BF:

Yes Thud, I agreed, it should be treated as a guideline among others.

Like, I dropped the glucose meter when I could reliably interpret “hungry feelings after that food” as, “this food put me on the blood sugar roller coaster. I want off.”

It’s possibly my sailing with the wind approach with Keto will be backed up with other data, and I will use it less.

And the whole thing is worth it because DH can use it, and he should. It is my intention that I will encourage him to test throughout the day, and he will see that he is never in ketosis, and so, he will not reach the healing stage.

I think we can all use that kind of stark feedback