Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 09:51

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

If a potato turns green from being exposed to sunlight, this part contains some of the toxins found in other parts of the plant. That is why it is a common recommendation to throw away the green parts of a potato.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 10:16
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom sawyer
If a potato turns green from being exposed to sunlight, this part contains some of the toxins found in other parts of the plant. That is why it is a common recommendation to throw away the green parts of a potato.
So who exposes their potatoes? Not I.
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 13:58
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom sawyer
The list I just checked shows a baked potato with a GI of 85, while sucrose (tabl;e sugar, the major carb component of a candy bar) is 65. So I was wrong about the potato being lower GI, that and the larger portion would make it a double whammy.

On the subject of supplements, sure Atkins sells a long list of nutritional supplements. That is how they are making money. Nothing wrong with that, just don't trot that out as proof that we must have supplements to be healthy. Yes Dr. Atkins did advocate certain supplements for certain conditions. Did he know how much longer or healthier we would be if we took these supplements? Did he have any data on that? Or was it just a hunch on his part? I haven't seen many conclusive positive results from studies of supplementation. My guess is, the difference is at best very small and at worst, the supplements may do more harm than good. They certainly do harm to your budget. Is supplementation worth an extra 3 months of life?

Same could be said of his opinion on low-carb dieting. Everything is said about supplements he backs up with his own personal experience with treating his patients and studies done by others. Its the very same standard and method he used to endorse his belief in low-carbing. I wrote out your paragraph below changing only those key parts.

On the subject of Atkins diet, sure Atkins sells a book and diet products. That is how they are makng money. Nothing wrong with that, just don't trot that out as proof that we must eat low-carb to be healthy. Yes Dr. Atkins did advocate retricting carbs and eating higher fat and proteins. Did he know how much longer or healthier we would be if we ate this way? Did he have any data on that? Or was it just a hunch on his part? I haven't seen many conclusive positive results from studies of low-carbing. My guess is, the difference is at best very small and at worst, the low-carb diet may do more harm than good. They certainly do harm your budget. Is low-carbing worth an extra 3 months of life?
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 14:04
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear
Thanks for your comments. I remember eating raw potato slices too when I was a kid. Perhaps the poster was referring to the fact that potatoes are a part of the Deadly Nightshade family of plants which are poisonous. The leaves and stems of the potato plant are what is poisonous, not the tuber itself. It is also true that grain can be eaten raw. There is even a mention of that in the Bible when Jesus was walking through the field of grain and ate it . Also remember all the pictures of little boys chewing on a stem of wheat? Whether we eat things raw or not is a matter of taste and in this day and age, a matter of sanitation---esp. with meat. So whether prehistoric humans ate a raw diet or roasted things over a fire is really a moot point.

I agree.
Just it seems that the poster I was commenting on actually believe grains and potatoes can't be eaten unless cooked.
I was suprised, I'd never heard of the "killer spud, terrible tater, toxic tuber", till I started researching.
  #80   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 14:39
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IthinkIcan
Same could be said of his opinion on low-carb dieting. Everything is said about supplements he backs up with his own personal experience with treating his patients and studies done by others. Its the very same standard and method he used to endorse his belief in low-carbing. I wrote out your paragraph below changing only those key parts.

On the subject of Atkins diet, sure Atkins sells a book and diet products. That is how they are makng money. Nothing wrong with that, just don't trot that out as proof that we must eat low-carb to be healthy. Yes Dr. Atkins did advocate retricting carbs and eating higher fat and proteins. Did he know how much longer or healthier we would be if we ate this way? Did he have any data on that? Or was it just a hunch on his part? I haven't seen many conclusive positive results from studies of low-carbing. My guess is, the difference is at best very small and at worst, the low-carb diet may do more harm than good. They certainly do harm your budget. Is low-carbing worth an extra 3 months of life?

Actually, I'm sure Dr. Atkins and others have saved a number of diabetics w/ CHD from certain death, amputation, and other horrific complications of a metabolism destroyed by sugar.

In these cases - and for those who show symptoms of sugar metabolism disorder (such as myself) - longevity of life is not only certainly significantly enhanced by a low carb regimen, but quality of that life (which is arguably more important than duration) is also vastly enhanced.

The efficacy of low carb for those with endocrine disorder from high sugar diet isn't a "hunch". This is fact. Talk to any of the diabetics on this board. Talk to any of the hypoglycemics and ladies with PCOS who struggled miserably on low or no fat for years.

YOu do raise some valid points, IthinkIcan. But on this one you are wrong. There is no comparison between vitamin pills and the efficacy of low carb. Vitamin pills may help people, whereas low carb has most definitely changed thousands of peoples lives for the better - mine included.
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 15:28
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWoooo

YOu do raise some valid points, IthinkIcan. But on this one you are wrong. There is no comparison between vitamin pills and the efficacy of low carb. Vitamin pills [i
may help[/i] people, whereas low carb has most definitely changed thousands of peoples lives for the better - mine included.

I said, the same of what he said, could be said and replaced. I do not agree totally that lowering your carbs isn't good, nor do I agree totally that supplements are merely a hunch, rather than proof.

What I believe, is that almost all foods are good. I especially believe that we are a nation of extremes, alpha and omega types. I honestly think we enjoy picking on our food. Its fairly simple to cognize that way. We like to create rules and lists. It illuminates a struggle that otherwise, seems too daunting to accomplish.

Back to the previous discussion on supplements. Sure, this type of diet guideline can be prescribed to help those who have ailments, that carbohydrates are certain to aggrivate the problem and/or cause it to get worse.
That being said, I am going to use my own personal educated guess, that the percentage of people who are jumping on the low-carb bandwagon, are seeking a cure for the ailment of obesity and its side effects mostly.
In this quest, people have discovered that they can lose weight eating low carbs and are not hungry. That's ALL the proof they need before they begin demonizing any starchy food, be it rice or a potatoe. I didn't consume large amounts of plain potatoes, plain carrots, or just plain rice. It was french fries, glazed carrots, or fried rice heaped with sweet n sour chicken. I can almost guess most of those people didn't eat any better than I.

When I was on Atkins, I felt the exact same way. I couldn't ever imagine putting a bite of a nasty toxic tuber on my tongue again. I was sure, at least I hoped, I'd found the magic cure. I just don't believe its that simple anymore.
  #82   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 15:38
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IthinkIcan
I said, the same of what he said, could be said and replaced. I do not agree totally that lowering your carbs isn't good, nor do I agree totally that supplements are merely a hunch, rather than proof.

What I believe, is that almost all foods are good. I especially believe that we are a nation of extremes, alpha and omega types. I honestly think we enjoy picking on our food. Its fairly simple to cognize that way. We like to create rules and lists. It illuminates a struggle that otherwise, seems too daunting to accomplish.

Back to the previous discussion on supplements. Sure, this type of diet guideline can be prescribed to help those who have ailments, that carbohydrates are certain to aggrivate the problem and/or cause it to get worse.
That being said, I am going to use my own personal educated guess, that the percentage of people who are jumping on the low-carb bandwagon, are seeking a cure for the ailment of obesity and its side effects mostly.
In this quest, people have discovered that they can lose weight eating low carbs and are not hungry. That's ALL the proof they need before they begin demonizing any starchy food, be it rice or a potatoe. I didn't consume large amounts of plain potatoes, plain carrots, or just plain rice. It was french fries, glazed carrots, or fried rice heaped with sweet n sour chicken. I can almost guess most of those people didn't eat any better than I.

When I was on Atkins, I felt the exact same way. I couldn't ever imagine putting a bite of a nasty toxic tuber on my tongue again. I was sure, at least I hoped, I'd found the magic cure. I just don't believe its that simple anymore.

I totally agree IthinkIcan, with the content of your message.
I just was pointing out that it wasn't an appropriate comparison since the positive benefits of reducing carbs are seen immediately and are significant, unlike with vitamin supplements.
  #83   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 15:48

BF:

The difference between low carb and supplements, is that with low carb you see results. And results are proof that it works. With supplements, in the majority of cases you do not experience any difference. That fish oil pill isn't going to make you feel any different. OK in the initial stages of Atkins you get cramps and pottasium helps, you mentioned this and it is one instance where supplementation helps. Similar effects may be seen by those who are experiencing some sort of problem to begin with.

But when healthy people take supplements, the majority of the time they are simply not going to make a big difference in the way you look or feel. Not in the short term anyway. You might benefit down the road, look better 30 years from now, live a little longer, etc. But how does one do controlled experiments that show that there are truly benefits? You can't.

Low carb has been proven experimentally, by more than just one doctor. As great as Atkins was, he was only one man. And being right about something, does not make you right about everything. Look at Linus Pauling.
  #84   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 15:58

BF:

I don't think we're as far off as you might think. I believe there are lots of instances where a supplement might do someone some good. Its just that I don't buy the idea that vegetables aren't as nutritious as they once were, or that we can't get the majority of what we need through a healthy balanced diet that has mostly unprocessed foodstuffs. The human body has the ability to hold onto many of the things it needs. Just look at how long the vegans can go without supplementing with B vitamins.