Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-20, 17:14

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I also love those vegans who won't eat meat, but will gladly tote around a leather handbag or satchel ... the list goes on and on.

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/anim...dden-cow-parts/

Another: https://www.businessinsider.com/sur...w-parts-2017-10

Nobody said that becoming a vegan was going to be easy!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-20, 16:31

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

There is a lot of veggie propaganda going on now. The industrial frankenfood industry is looking for more profits and don't care about your health. The vegan fanatics want you to bend to the rules of their religion too. Just resist.

Bob
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 11:03

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think they're trying to trick people into ordering this frankinfood by mistake. Burger King has a new fake burger patty and the Logo on the packaging look something like this.

100%
0%
BEEF
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 08:50

BF:

I haven't eaten at a fast food store since the 1970s.

Life is too short to eat mediocre food.

Bob
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 10:48

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I think they're trying to trick people into ordering this frankinfood by mistake. Burger King has a new fake burger patty and the Logo on the packaging look something like this.

100%
0%
BEEF

I had the same impression !!!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 12:31

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
But if we know one thing about the animal agriculture industry, it is that they are always looking for a way to turn a profit, so many of these “leftovers,” which include hooves, skin, bones, and glands that are used in other ways.

From this that Bawdy Wench posted;

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/anim...dden-cow-parts/
I love how this is put. When looking at native Americans or other aboriginal groups, using as much of the animal as possible is often put in a positive light--not being wasteful, honouring the animal's sacrifice by putting everything to the best use, etc. But if modern industry does the very same thing, it's a greedy, capitalistic plot to turn a profit.

I'm fairly left-leaning, but I'm not sure how people expect us to share the wealth without at some point generating some.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 16:36

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Interesting observation, Teaser. And about that fake meat being mistaken for the real deal...I looked through my local Aldi ad, did a double-take at the expensive price (for Aldi anyway) on an apparent picture of some ground beef, read the description and it was the vegetarian stuff. Being a specialty item that's popular right now it's rather pricey, so no danger I'm going to accidentally pick it up instead of the lower priced real meat.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 21:18

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I just read the other day that anyone taking Metformin should supplement because it depletes the body of B-12.

Oh crud! I eat beef maybe 4 times a week, fish or chicken the other three days & eggs every day. I'd like to think it's enough, but if the Metformin is messing with the absorption, then I probably will need to supplement.

Any guidelines on B-12 (& other Bs) for Metformin takers? (So I don't have to do the work of looking it up myself. )
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 05:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Oh crud! I eat beef maybe 4 times a week, fish or chicken the other three days & eggs every day. I'd like to think it's enough, but if the Metformin is messing with the absorption, then I probably will need to supplement.

Any guidelines on B-12 (& other Bs) for Metformin takers? (So I don't have to do the work of looking it up myself. )

They don't do guidelines, they say to get a blood test. Also, this effect is noticed in people eating the SAD. Might not apply to low carbers.

I find it ironic the risks include "permanent nerve damage" since it's supposed to treat diabetes. They were treating diabetes better a hundred years ago than they are now!
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 07:03

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
They don't do guidelines, they say to get a blood test. Also, this effect is noticed in people eating the SAD. Might not apply to low carbers.

Thank you! I just happen to have an appointment with my diabetes doctor next week - I'll ask her about testing. I probably should ask her about testing vitamin D also, tho I already supplement with that.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-20, 04:32

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The BBC weighs in on a Vegan diet. B12 and much more.

How a vegan diet could affect your intelligence

The vegan diet is low in – or, in some cases, entirely devoid of – several important brain nutrients. Could these shortcomings be affecting vegans' abilities to think?

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/...r-intelligence?
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-20, 09:18

BF:

7 Nutrients you can't get from plants:

https://www.healthline.com/nutritio...9-11-07&apid=#1
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-20, 09:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
The vegan diet is low in – or, in some cases, entirely devoid of – several important brain nutrients. Could these shortcomings be affecting vegans' abilities to think?

Something is!
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-20, 14:59

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
The BBC weighs in on a Vegan diet. B12 and much more.

How a vegan diet could affect your intelligence

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/...r-intelligence?

The article says "Though it’s important to take supplements, she explains that a person’s cardiovascular and brain health are inextricably linked, and vegans tend to have healthier hearts." I followed the link that was highlighted and it leads to an epidemiological study of three groups: vegetarians, fish eaters, and those who didn't do either (the British equivalent of SAD) and were labeled meat-eaters. OF course, those who lived on fast food and other junk fared worse than those who were trying to live healthily .
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-20, 09:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
The article says "Though it’s important to take supplements, she explains that a person’s cardiovascular and brain health are inextricably linked, and vegans tend to have healthier hearts." I followed the link that was highlighted and it leads to an epidemiological study of three groups: vegetarians, fish eaters, and those who didn't do either (the British equivalent of SAD) and were labeled meat-eaters. OF course, those who lived on fast food and other junk fared worse than those who were trying to live healthily .

Look at it this way. Meat eating animals are smarter.

Nobody says "as Smart as a Sheep" or "as Sly as a Cow", or "as Wise as a Pigeon", or "as Cunning as a Rabbit", those adjectives are exclusively associated with meat eating animals.

There is a convincing argument that human's brains started expanding when we started eating cooked meat. It goes on to say that cooking makes meat makes it easier for our body to digest and extract the healthy benefits.

It's just a theory and we will never really know.

Meanwhile I have (1) the teeth of an omnivore (2) the enzymes of an omnivore (3) the alimentary canal of an omnivore - so it makes sense that I eat an omnivorous diet.

Bob