Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-07, 17:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/126.5/110 Female 5 foot
BF:
Progress: 50%

go to: http://www.annecollins.com/dietary-...rbs-alcohol.htm

It has all the carbs counts of different drinks.

I guess I will be drinking vodka and rum for now on.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-07, 20:12

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 168/128/115 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

The problem with alcohol isn't just in the carbs. It's the alcohol itself that's the problem, which is why even straight liquor isn't a good idea.

Our bodies will burn alcohol for energy before they turn to fat. In other words, you'll stop burning fat for as long as it takes to burn off the alcohol. This can be a problem if you're trying to lose weight.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-07, 20:15

BF:

Ya, I am not going to be drinking for a while, but if I am going out or its a special occasion, then I will opt for vodka and rum. I am not a big drinker anyway, and I know in induction period you can't have any alcohol.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-07, 20:18

BF:

Ooh! I just noticed we're the same height and have the same goal weight.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-07, 20:33

BF:

That is awesome!! We will both look totally hot when we get to 110!! Hehe, my goal is 110, unless I still feel like I need to lose more when I get to 110. I just started the diet, so wish me luck! You have stayed in "induction" the entire time? I think I am going to do it for a while too, you lose faster.. right?
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-07, 22:12

BF:

Actually, I stayed on induction until I got down to around 140 pounds, and then I moved on and started following it by the 2002 book. I've gone up the rungs as Atkins laid out. I was on the berry rung of the OWL phase a week ago, but my weight started bouncing up and down so I'm doing a week of strict induction. After this I'll go back up the carb ladder, first adding extra veggies, then dairy, nuts, berries, etc.

If I had to do it all over again (knock on wood!) I'd do it the same way... Stay on induction for a month or two and then go to OWL. Adding the carbs back in little by little the way the carb ladder lays it out makes it so enjoyable! I like my meat and eggs and salads on induction, but I get even happier with everything I add back in. I thought it couldn't get any better, but then I added the berries back in. I was in heaven!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-07, 02:44
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Pregame with sf syrup flavored vodka drinks. Otherwise, take shots and chase with diet coke.

It's never stopped me from losing, but I tend to get up early and work out after drinking. Great ideas in this thread.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 20:20

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 173.8/173.8/140 Female 5'7"
BF:jig/ggg/lee
Progress: 0%

i was always a screwdriver girl..i just don't like alcohol that much, pretty much only vodka - but i don't think it tastes good mixed with any pops...what diets do you mix vodka with?

and does anyone know the carb count of pucker?? i like diet sprite w/ cherry pucker, but i'm not sure of the carbs in it!

thanks!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-07, 12:21

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 306/298/160 Female 5', 5"
BF:BMI: 49.2/49.2/24
Progress: 5%

I try not to drink when I'm on Atkins - especially since our bodies are going through ketosis, it's not really a great idea to throw something in there that's hard on your kidneys. I do have an occasional glass of wine (if I'm dying for a drink).

But for those who will drink regardless, I have a great recipe. If you drink either Gin or Vodka (both interchangeable), try mixing them with those clear carbonated flavored waters. Make sure that they are the ones that are 0 calories. Like the kind that you find at the grocery stores - Private Select, or Albertson's, Ralphs, etc. Really generic brands. Try mixing it with peach, white grape, or any flavor you think you might like. The taste totally covers the alcohol flavor, and it's really fruity and refreshing. Be careful though - you can drink a lot, quickly (because it doesn't taste like alcohol), and it'll hit you fast.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-07, 23:50

Plan: My own L/C
Stats: 225/198/188 Male 179cm
BF:
Progress: 73%

The day after : Exercise Exercise Exercise … lots of water …. And you will be fine ..
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-07, 10:46

Plan: My own L/C
Stats: 225/198/188 Male 179cm
BF:
Progress: 73%

There is also a good post today about the same subject ... check it out ... here it is :
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=355191

good luck.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-08, 22:29

Stats: 185/179/160 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hey all, I am a university student in Nova Scotia and got back at school last week. Not drinking during induction has been tough, but i only have 4 days left.

Can't wait for next weekend, I'm hitting the town, on Captain and diet cokes of course. I'll keep yas posted about how the drinks effect my loosing.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-08, 10:47

Stats: 216/126/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 105%

Have fun and remember that it'll probably take less alcohol to get you buzzed/drunk/whatever than it did pre-LC!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-08, 00:48
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 142/136/115 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Well guys, I'm back at school. First night back I drank with some friends (weekend, not on a school night haha). Unfortunately, it lead to eating terrible food that night, and the entire next day. This means for me that I need to really watch how often I drink, how much, and my ability to control my eating while doing so. It has really taken a toll on my figure. I think I partially went down the binge path not only because of the drinking, but because of the reckless/celebratory mentality of being back at school with friends. Now that it's out of my system, and I am STILL seeing the horrid effects it all had on my belly, perhaps I'll be stronger.

I hope everyone else that decides to indulge in such enjoyable beverages does better than I did! haha
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 14:31
Registered Member

Stats: 165/154/130 Female 5'5'
BF:
Progress: 31%

wow.. it's so great to hear that vodka is acceptable in the long run for us LC-ers!!