Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#2011   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-13, 10:06

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Just signing in here so that I can find this thread more easily.
Sponsored Links
  #2012   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-13, 17:57

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

Just to add a little life, I'll post my RP friendly recipe.

My intention was to make a more stick-to -your- ribs version of Atole which is a Mexican warm drink made from milk and corn meal/masa.
I would like to find an organic, bulk masa but so far am using organic cornmeal.

For each serving;
1 cup milk
1 T masa
a little salt
vanilla and sweetener to taste
Whisk while heating til thick.

To this basic recipe I added an egg which I beat separately and tempered before whisking in.

It turned out to be more like porridge which I ate out of a bowl with a bit of butter.....basically, it turned out like a stove top custard with cornmeal texture.

I cooked it very slowly so the meal was quite soft.

I added just a little sweetener and vanilla and it was too sweet. I am not a fan of sweetened hot cereals and would probably add less/none in the future.

BUT this turned out delicious and I will add it to my breakfast list (which is pretty short).

My next cooking experiment is to come up with a spoon bread like my mom made. It, too, is not sweet but like a baked cornmeal custard....the custard was thicker on the top if I remember correctly.

I'll check out the local co op for a good quality masa.

Hope you are all well and having a great holiday season.

Oh, I almost forgot; I added 1 tsp gelatin at the beginning w the cornmeal and cold milk.

Last edited by jem51 : Sun, Dec-08-13 at 18:46.
  #2013   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-13, 03:11

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Thanks for posting this! I'm always on the lookout for quick and easy breakfast ideas which contain more protein than your average modern breakfast.
  #2014   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-18, 13:43

Plan: ray peat
Stats: 180/220/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy B.
His foods are quite calorie dense, so it is not a quick fix for weight loss. But I believe by supporting the thyroid and adrenal glands by following his recommendations, as the body heals, the metabolism will increase and some weight can be lost. However, it may be that thyroid supplements would be necessary in order to restore the thyroid fully. You can monitor that by monitoring your pulse and body temperature.
Cathy

Just diving into Peat to try and heal my hypothyroid since 3 endocrinologists refused me Armour based on my numbers, not my symptoms.
I am reading everything but haven't seen how you can use your pulse and body temp to monitor thyroid function, could you point me somewhere?
Also I may not have gotten to that part yet, but has anyone healed hypo-t with Peat alone and no meds?
  #2015   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-18, 14:29

Plan: IBS Diet/Intuitive Eating
Stats: 321/194.2/199 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRed
Just diving into Peat to try and heal my hypothyroid since 3 endocrinologists refused me Armour based on my numbers, not my symptoms.
I am reading everything but haven't seen how you can use your pulse and body temp to monitor thyroid function, could you point me somewhere?
Also I may not have gotten to that part yet, but has anyone healed hypo-t with Peat alone and no meds?

Welcome, Miss Red! If you check out the link below, you will find lots of good Ray Peat information on tracking your pulse and temperature to assess your thyroid function.

I personally needed to supplement with thyroid despite following a pro thyroid diet. I think a lot of it depends on your age, diet, and general health.

As you can see, this thread is no longer active although I do still subscribe to it so I will see your comments/questions and respond. You might want to consider joining one of the Ray Peat Facebook groups, such as Ray Peat Inspired or Ray Peat Fans. And there are many Ray Peat articles available for free at raypeat.com.

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/20...cs-monthly-log/

I also wanted to add that Kate Deering has written an excellent book that is a great “beginners guide“ for someone trying to incorporate Ray Peat’s ideas into their everyday life. You can find out more about the book at the link below.

https://katedeering.com/book/

How to Heal Your Metabolism

Last edited by Cathy B. : Fri, Jul-20-18 at 14:37.
  #2016   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 12:30

Plan: Ray Peat
Stats: 126/129/128 Female 5'7.25"
BF:
Progress: 150%
Default Thyroid meds

I'm having trouble since the manufacturer of my WP Thyroid stopped making it. The substitutes I've tried aren't working for me. My hair is falling out and I am tired. This has been going on since last Sept.

I had switched to WP, when Armour sold once again and the formula was changed. It no longer worked and the price shot sky high, so I switched. Besides the substitutes for Natural Desiccated Thyroid that I've tried, I've also used Cynoplus which Ray says he uses.

Now I am trying Westminster's natural desiccated thyroid. Some say it works...

Will see how it goes. If you look at StopThe Thyroid Madness, you'll see a lot of reports similar to mine.
  #2017   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 12:39

BF:

I am taking Cynomel and Novotiral. Both seem to work well for me.
  #2018   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 11:42

Plan: ray peat
Stats: 180/220/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy B.
Welcome, Miss Red! If you check out the link below, you will find lots of good Ray Peat information on tracking your pulse and temperature to assess your thyroid function.

Tried to PM you Cathy but couldnt, just to thank you for taking time to come to this dead thread and help me out with more info. Appreciate it!
  #2019   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-18, 01:21

BF:

You’re welcome, MissRed. Happy to help! Sorry my inbox is full. Feel free to post a message for me in my journal.
  #2020   ^
Old Sun, May-12-19, 15:35

Plan: low carb
Stats: 225/225/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi,

I just joined this forum. I wanted to see who's still Peating from this thread? I'm new to Ray Peat. I'd like to get ideas of what to eat, recipes, support, etc.

Thanks,
Sharon
  #2021   ^
Old Sun, May-12-19, 15:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollyb
Jem51,
I've about given up on this forum and spend most of my RP time at the FaceBook Ray Peat closed group. There are several threads on cascara there.

I'd just like to find a magnesium I could take without diarrhea from only 100 mg. I would like to know if mag would be expected to have any of the same benefit that Peat expects from cascara though. If I could even take magnesium that is.

Just wondering which group that would be on Facebook? I'm on one called Ray Peat Inspired but if there's another, I'd like to join.

Regarding the Magnesium, have you tried Magnesium Glycinate? I don't seem to get diarrhea from that. I usually make the Mag Bicarbonate and do okay with that but sometimes have a problem if I drink too much but I've never noticed an issue from Mag Glycinate.
  #2022   ^
Old Sun, May-12-19, 16:16

Plan: cronometer + Ray Peat
Stats: 185/118.4/125 Female 5' 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 111%
Smile Welcome!

Hi there and welcome! I still follow some of Ray's guidelines, and Cathy B. does as well. You also might try joining the Ray Peat Forum although I find some people take it to the extreme.
  #2023   ^
Old Sun, May-12-19, 17:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesimply

- If it's well cooked and eaten with butter or other fat, it isn't too harmful to have gluten free pasta for weekly consumption.

I want to make my own gluten free bread since most of the commercial gluten free breads have high PUFA oils in them. I asked if any of the following ingredients should be avoided:
*brown rice flour
*sorghum flour
*cornstarch
*potato starch
*potato flour
*xanthan gum
*arrowroot flour
*tapioca starch

and he replied that potato flour actually has some nutritional value and the others are okay.

The recipe I am going to try is from here.

The other two that look good are GF Cheesy Hamburger Buns and GF Hamburger Buns

Jem, he does prefer white rice over brown rice; have you ever tried jasmine or arborio or basmati rice? There are lots of different "white" rices that have more flavor than plain converted long grain white rice.

I don't follow Peat's guidelines 100% but do the best I can.

I've been trying to do gluten free since I noticed some issues from eating wheat (not sure about celiac) so when I saw your post, I was interested in possibly making bread.

From what I've learned of Ray Peat so far, he doesn't recommend any of the gums but there is xanthan gum in your list. He did say that was okay?

Also, just an FYI for those who eat rice, I've learned that there's a lot of arsenic in rice. One way to minimize it is to cook the rice in a lot of water and throw the extra water away. Also basmati and jasmine rice tend to have less arsenic.

Thank you. I know the original post is old.
  #2024   ^
Old Sun, May-12-19, 17:27

BF:

Hi Sharon! Welcome. As Debbie mentioned, I still follow some of the Ray Peat recommendations, such as restricting PUFAs and eating a good amount of dairy. I try to eat shellfish once a week. I consume plenty of sugar in various forms including fruit, juice, honey, sucrose.

If you go on Facebook and do a search for Ray Peat, you should see links for several Ray Peat groups. You can just click on the link and request to join.
  #2025   ^
Old Sun, May-12-19, 17:38

BF:

Thank you Debbie for the welcome!