Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-09, 10:46

Plan: General Low Carb 4/4/11
Stats: 193/188.4/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 6%

Being 5'2 and 200 pounds! Feeling sick all the time... unhappy about my life... feeling unattractive... and OMG... all of the cellulite.....

Looking at the beautifully toned young women and men I work with all day...

But yeah.. 200 pounds at the start of lat year. At some point last summer I lost weight although I was not trying and really did not even notice it. When I started to change my life on Dec. 7/08 I was shocked when I stepped on the scale and it said 186.

Seeing that gave me encouragement. I mean, suddenly instead of needing to loose 80 pounds, I only needed to loose 66. The number seemed so much more reachable. Where 14 pounds went, I do not know. Maybe I had been loosing a pound here and there all year, but it was so gradual that I did not notice. I did do a 6 day water fast at some point last summer.. and some pounds came off.

Anyway... that is it.. just feeling fat, sick, unattractive, and wanting so many parts of my old life back. And certainly feeling encouraged by knowing that in a few weeks, I could easily be in the 170's, which I have not seen in years!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-09, 17:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

For me it was still being able to wear the same pants I wore when I was pregnant with my daughter..I gained a lot of weight when pregnant with my daughter, and hadn't lost all of it before I got pregnant again with my son. Well, after having my son, a year or more later, I was still wearing the pants I wore when I was pregnant with his sister. I was apalled. My health was terrible, I was home with a baby and a toddler, and a husband who was out of sight and living it up in another state. I felt like my life, my everything was worthless, and a mess.

The day I finally decided to try atkins was the day that I ran to the grocery store and had to wrestle my son into his car seat. When I did that, I dropped the car keys, had to bend over to pick them up. When I did bend over to get them the entire zipper of my jeans came busting out!! I remember holding my pants closed, grabbing the keys, and getting in to the car. I cried all the way home. I felt like I should die.

When I got home I called my mother and talked to her on the phone about the day I had and explained to her what happened. She told me that "your Aunt has just started that Atkins diet. All the ladies who work in the hospital are on it too and she has lost 10lbs already."

I took tat name and went with it. I knew nothing about atkins. I went to the lib. and got info on it and emailed her asking what I needed to do. I went with it and for that year and a half I lost over 60 lbs. I have gained a lot of it back. And now,instead of my point being at 248lbs., it was at 226. The weight I was when I was pregnant with my daughter! I can't belive that I am here again in this place.
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-09, 06:54
Registered Member

Plan: a blend of what works
Stats: 211/198/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Ditto to the almost 200# and I am very short. My weight would be perfect if I were 6'.
  #79   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-09, 07:19
at peace with myself

Plan: Healthy choices
Stats: 201/191.6/144 Female 5 ft 8n
BF:
Progress: 16%

In my last week of pregnancy 2 years ago I got on my knees and prayed that I would not hit 200. There was just something mentally horrific about that number. I hit 199 then got back to prepregnancy of 176.

The next year my weight creeped up to 193. I would bounce around down to 188 then back up. One day it just clicked how close I was sitting to that 200 mark and that I weighed the same amount as my husband...maybe even a lb or 2 more.
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-09, 07:45

Plan: my own thing
Stats: 350/269.0/199 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%

When I was in onederland (which the last time was in Grade 8!!) I used to say crazy things like if I ever hit 200 pounds I will kill myself. Then when I entered the 200's, I would never dream I would get to 300. One of the "Issues" I have had, although i guess it is a good issue to have is that I never really let my weight hold me back. I wanted to study nutrition so I became a 250 pound nutritionist, I wanted to be a sales rep in the health food industry so for the last 10 years I have been doing that, I wanted to date alot and thats what I did before I met my husband. I guess I never really felt the urgency to get the weight off except for EVENTS such as our wedding.
Now that I am in my early 30's I am feeling the effects of all this weight on my body daily in the form of sore knees, sore back and the fact that it is not safe for us to start our family. THAT is what has made me say, NOW is the time!
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-09, 21:00

Plan: Atkins / High-Fat
Stats: 168/149/138 Female 5' 8"
BF:size: 12/10/8
Progress: 63%

Wow, it was really interesting to read everyone's "moments" and see how varied they are.

I remember the moment I realized I had gotten fat. I put on weight at puberty, and at age 14, I was standing outside my school waiting to be picked up, saw myself reflected in the glass doors, and realized I was bursting out of my jeans. I went from buying size 6 or 8 pants to buying 12s!

I have always been a "healthy" eater (people always comment on it), and I've wavered from religiously committed to extremely negligent regarding exercise, but I remained the same size and shape for all of high school and college. The highest number I've ever seen on a scale was around 180.

My last couple months of college were extremely demanding and I had no time to exercise, and my weight was around 168. The day my last class ended, I committed to losing weight. Basically, I finished school and had way more free time, I figured I had no excuse not to get healthy. My older sister is extremely overweight, and I'm terrified of ending up in her shoes. After 1 month of unimpressive loss from low-cal diet/running, I stumbled across "What if it's all been a Big Fat Lie?" by Gary Taubes online...got a copy of DANDR... and now I think I'll be firmly committed to limiting carbs for the rest of my life. I really like it.
  #82   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-09, 05:32

Plan: IF
Stats: 219.3/174.8/147 Female 158cm (5ft 2in)
BF:Too much!
Progress: 62%

I had been planning on doing it again for months. I just never got round to it, and of course kept gaining more weight.

I chose my day and I started. I had no idea what I weighed, or how much I had gained back. I knew it was going to be at least a stone.

I weighed myself a few days after starting to get that start weight. I hadn't weighed myself for about 6 months. And OMG, how shocked was I to see the number on the scales. I had actually gained 2 stone... and was the heaviest I had ever been in my life. It was so depressing.

All my clothes got too small. I refused to go out and buy bigger sizes. I didn't want to go out shopping and go into a fitting room and see my disgusting self in those full length mirrors! Hell NO! So I picked out a top and trousers that just fit me and wore them. I got sick of it, so kicked my butt into gear.

I have all these new clothes that I bought a year and a half ago when I was 3 stone lighter... that I cannot wear (yet), they are about 3 sizes too small!

I also want to be a reasonable weight this summer. I cannot remember the last summer where I was slim. I hate that, I wont go out, I wont enjoy the sun. I have to wear certain clothes (ugly) clothes to hide myself... which normally are clothes that are too hot for summer. Not that we get great summers in the UK.

I want to be able to wear what I want (within reason) this summer. COME ON, I want to do it!
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-09, 05:41
Registered Member

Stats: 271.5/271.5/140 Female 64
BF:plenty of it
Progress: 0%

So many, many factors. The weight was 276 and a friend of mine who is much larger, talking about how we were co-dependent eaters while we were dining on what was probably a 2000 calorie dinner. I woke up the next day and said no way. I reflected on what my life has become over the last few years, the isolationism that I easy dropped into. I just want to start living instead of existing.
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-09, 05:43

Plan: IF
Stats: 219.3/174.8/147 Female 158cm (5ft 2in)
BF:Too much!
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlycn
I just want to start living instead of existing.

Ohhhh, how I can relate to that comment is unreal. You hit the nail right on the head there girl! I'm going to have to right that quote/comment down somewhere where I will see it daily, to keep me in check!
  #85   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-09, 07:27

Plan: General Low Carb 4/4/11
Stats: 193/188.4/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlycn
I reflected on what my life has become over the last few years, the isolationism that I easy dropped into. I just want to start living instead of existing.

True True!
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-09, 19:44
Registered Member

Stats: 365/338/185 Female 5 Foot 8
BF:
Progress: 15%

When Lane Bryant tells you "sorry, we don't carry your size!"
  #87   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-09, 08:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 126/118/105 Female 5' 2.5"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I'm normally a two when I eat right...I'm now a 6. Going up two sizes and having to get a new wardrobe, yet again is a deciding factor to always stay in the 2 to 4 range.
  #88   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-09, 13:57
Registered Member

Stats: 233/191/153 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 53%

When my size 16's were getting to tight. Seeing over 230 lbs on the scale. Miscarrying last year and completely blaming it on my weight. Getting engaged last year and not wanting to be a fat bride when the big day came. Having absolutely no self-esteem and no self-control. I can say that I have fixed most of these so far
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-09, 21:18

Stats: 174/148/125 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 53%

This time -- being able to wear the jeans that my boys (both over 6 foot and trim) can't keep up because they've been lengthening and leaning. Being able to wear boy jeans with no huge waist gap! Realizing that I am also isolating myself completely from the outside world because I just don't want to see any "looks".

The last part goes back to being over 200 and seeing the look.

Yes -- I'm shallow and I want to look good but also... the joint aches that mostly go away when I cut out the sugar and grains. Not carrying extra weight on my "bad" hip in hopes that the hip replacement will be 20 years away instead of 5. Wanting to spring out of bed again...