Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 16:43

Plan: Started Atkins 3/17/03 now CKD
Stats: 145/113/115 Female 65
BF:54%/21%/18%
Progress: 107%
Default :help: Pork Rind:confused:

Well, I FINALLY found pork rinds

I found fried pork rinds, that say they added salt. And boy are they salty. And I found BBQ pork rinds, which I haven't tried yet. Don't know if I'll end up liking pork rinds straight, but looking to use them in a breading

Now here's my question. I hear everyone saying they are NO carbs. Does that mean you can eat the whole bag and still have no carbs?? Guess I'm finding it hard to believe they contain no carbs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated would like to crumble up a bag and use them as bread crumbs with some chicken tonight BTW, before LCing, I used flour, egg and bread crumbs but now that I'm a LCer, I know I can still use the egg, but what keeps the crumbled pork rind together? or do you just dip the chicken in the egg and then dip it in the pork rinds? and cook as you can see, I'm very new to this and at times, my head spins
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 16:49

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 198.3/178.7/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

The Bakenetts pork rinds I get actually say "less than 1 g" of carbs per serving, which you can usually take as 1g per serving. Not sure on the breading thing as I've never cooked with them. I've loved pork rinds since I was a kid - southern Texas gal that I am
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 17:17

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi I dip the meat or what ever I am going to bread in beaten egg then in the crumbled pork rinds. Pat S
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 18:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-Induction
Stats: 193/173/170 Female 5'4
BF:33.1%/30.4%/24%
Progress: 87%

I also have a question about pork rinds. I bought some BBQ pork rinds and later noticed that the ingredients say sugar.. Will this affect me?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 18:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

i've had a hard time getting used to pork rinds! i can munch on the bbq ones a bit, but the regular ones have too strong a flavour for me.

don't know about the sugar, i've never looked.

but try to get away from the 'breading' mentality if you can. i just don't do breading anymore or look for ways to fake it. being a southern girl, it's taken some getting used to but now if i do slack off and eat something breaded, i just don't enjoy it as much. all that greasy bread (to me) sort of hides the flavour of what i'm actually after.

although i may try to use some pork rinds in a batter for dill pickles. fried dill pickles are something i miss, and you just can't do them without some kind of breading based batter.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 18:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

To the best of my knowledge, you should not eat any sugar during Induction.

Nevertheless, sugar can be harmful at any phase of this diet if it causes you to continue your cravings, or if it adds too many carbs to you diet. I occassionally have 2TBSP of marinara sauce that contains sugar on a doughless pizza. It's 3 carbs for those 2 little spoonfuls! Not a good deal in my opinion. But, once in a while I want pizza...so what's a girl to do?

There is a good lesson to learn here....ALWAYS READ LABELS!!! And just because you have read them once doesn't mean you never have to read them again.
I have a corn allergy. I had been buying Breyer's ice cream because it was made with sugar rather than corn syrup. (This was before Atkins, of course). They came out with some specialty flavors, and guess what? Bingo! They were made with corn syrup. I found out the hard way.

As far as pork rinds go, I thought animal products had no carbs. My bags say, "pork skins, salt, 0 carbs."

Can anyone else solve this mystery?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 18:54

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

WARNING: Unsolicited advice ahead:

Also, Mom2Girls, when you get down so close to goal, calories really start to count. You might take a look at the post about it. I just say that in response to "the whole bag" question
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 20:15

Stats: 185/164/135
BF:
Progress: 42%

i was never a huge pork rinds fan, but i found that dipping a few in a low-carb dip or cream cheese satisfied my salty cravings (good for watching movies, too, when everyone else is eating chips! )

also - when i'm in the mood for a sweet, but crunchy, fix, i melt some butter, pour it over the pork rinds, then add some Splenda and cinnamon - sounds weird but it's awesome! i first read about doing that on this site and wasn't a believer til i tried it!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 01:00

Plan: Started Atkins 3/17/03 now CKD
Stats: 145/113/115 Female 65
BF:54%/21%/18%
Progress: 107%

Thanks for the responses I was just curious if pork rinds really had no calories, as I assumed from reading threads on this forum that people were eating them liberally because they were NO carb And I really try to just get my carbs from healthy, nutrient enriched veggies/salad. I'm not perfect, but I do all right

MisJinx: I have NO intention of eating a whole bag of pork rinds, but thanks for the warning

suzanneM: if I do use them as a 'breading', and that's a BIG if, there won't be much on the one piece of meat that I'm eating I don't usually bread my meats, but at times I find that they are dried out and I think of breading it and Atkins suggests using pork rinds as a substitute

Pork rinds will be a hard one for me to swallow, as I HATE salt. Always have. I have never put salt on my food and always try to find things are don't taste salty

Pat S, thanks for the cooking lesson. I am always at a loss, and love that this board is SO helpful

Thanks again everyone
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 08:04

Stats: 170/132/122 Female 62
BF:23%
Progress: 79%

I was nervous about using pork rinds also, Not crazy about them by themselves. But I put some in a small food processor and grounded them up really fine, (seasoned them). Dipped pork chop in egg batter then into pork rinds, bake.

I fixed them and my family had shake and bake, My spoused tasted both and could not tell the difference. I can't wait to try it with a nice chicken breast.