Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 01:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/139/120
BF:36%/29%/18%
Progress: 60%
Default Yoga is BS : My Rant

Over the last few years I have collected 10 or so Yoga and Pilates tapes. I have tried to work through a few of them during the last week. The tapes themselves are great - I think it is me that has the problem . They say how relaxing and 'focusing' yoga is. Uh, pardon me, but all I do is concentrate on not falling on my ass while standing on one foot with my arms in the air, lol. I honestly am having a very hard time seeing that there are any weight loss benefits to yoga.

I tried one of the Pilates tapes as well. I did feel muscles that I never knew I had and felt that I was getting a workout. The next day, I had no soreness. NONE. Shouldn't I be feeling at least some if it is going to be doing me any good ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 08:28

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Might not be for you.

Yoga certainly is getting great press these days. I have a routine I have built myself, with bits of yoga and several other traditions, and it works, and sometimes it helps me focus. I certainly wouldn't consider it a weight-reducing workout by any means, but I am a better person when I do it.

However, it's taken me almost a year to get to where I can tolerate even 20 minutes of yoga-like activity. I used to try the Ali McGraw tape and found myself binging on an entire loaf of bread half-way through when I finally realized it wasn't for me, as written, and it would be better to back off and take it a different way.

I think your experience--Tree pose?--is EXACTLY the point. Focussing on your body, your balance, this exact moment, is what you are supposed to be getting. What were you hoping for?

Yoga's 3000 years old. Anything that old, that people are still doing, has value. Perhaps in time I will come to see more of the value for myself, but at least today I am giving it a chance. Every now and then, I find a new muscle group that is asking for attention, and I get out my yoga book (Schiffman) and look for a pose that addresses that body part, and work it into my routine, and that's enough.

And you know, I think I am a little calmer, and clearer, and less reactive, than I was a year ago.

I have a shelf full of dance tapes that I never do, including one pilates video that bored me to tears. The dance tapes leave me jaggy, and I sprained my ankle during one. Decided that WASN'T what my body wanted.

take what works and leave the rest. You might try picking the poses that seem to do you some good and incorporating them into a cool-down, or warm-up, routine for some other form of exercise you prefer. Let your body tell you what it wants. (Which is, BTW, a core message of yoga.)
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 08:31
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

thin, I think you've got to give a little more time to feel comfortable with it. When you've got the routine down pat and can smoothly move from one pose to another you'll find it more beneficial. Concentraing on not falling on your ass is stressful!

With Pilates, you don't usually work your muscles to what is termed as "failure" in weight training so it won't make you sore. As your core muscles strengthen, the way your body looks will change. The biggest benefit at first is that you feel really good and it puts a positive "glow" on your attitude that you can use as a springboard into greater action. The effects are cumulative so be patient and you'll be rewarded.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 12:50

Talking Yoga / Pilates

I realise that both my body and I enjoy Pilates a lot more than Yoga. I will stick with the Pilates for the most part. I do have a 25 minute Yoga tape which is ok. It is short enough that I don't get bored to death. It also has some great stretches.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 17:11
Registered Member

Plan: my own/grain free/veg
Stats: 116/115/101 Female 5'2"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 7%
Default you might wanna give this a try

I read your post about yoga and just had some thoughts (each worth about a penny lol)

You might want to give an easier and shorter yoga tape a try. Something where you can just focus on how you are feeling and kinda getting in touch with you body and spirit. You could also go for just the seated and lying down poses so you don't have to concentrate on balance too much. And also if you still want to try it you could get a yoga tape that has lots of repetition so that you can practice and re practice the same pose. Maybe a bit of cardio and then follow it up with a little yoga rvrn so that you are all warmed up.

Also, there is a tape out called Yogalates whichi mixes yoga and pilates really well. There is a beginner and and intermediate. I think Denise Austin has some too.

In terms of Pilates, it is a matter of doing each move with as perfect form as possible. Honestly, I have been doing both off and on for yrs and find that Pilates is rarely as challenging for me sweat and stretch wise. Or maybe you need a more challenging, faster paced Pilates tape.

just some thoughts...........
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 00:24

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Yoga is BS : My Rant

Quote:
Originally posted by thininBC
They say how relaxing and 'focusing' yoga is. Uh, pardon me, but all I do is concentrate on not falling on my ass while standing on one foot with my arms in the air, lol.

LMAO Hysterically...This image really cracked me up!

Not that I've ever been tempted to try Yoga, but if the urge ever strikes, I'll vividly remember your colorfully put, not exactly ringing endorsment.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 11:03

Default LOL

I am so glad that my Yoga trauma was good for a laugh !
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 12:31

Stats: 166/155.5/135
BF:
Progress: 34%
Smile Give it a chance!

ThininBC,
Just have to tell you about my experience with Yoga. I had never taken it before and then a few months ago I joined a class at the gym in the university where I work. I don't know how I could do it from a tape, because a lot of times the instructor has to come by and physically "correct" my forms. But when you do it right you can really feel it. You end up concentrating so hard on your body, working your muscles as hard as they'll go, that you forget about all the stuff that was worrying you. I've been doing Haha (sp/) style yoga, which is lest medetative and more strength training. It's a great workout! MAybe try taking a class. Once you learn the moves from an instructor, doing tapes by yourself would probably be much easier. Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 14:53

Plan: To take over the WORLD
Stats: 85/72/65
BF:100/50/0
Progress:

well i've always heard that Yoga helps lose weight.....
But does it help to Firm the Body ???

just wonderin....
also any of you know any sites which would Shocase the FIRMING exercise, (especially for the ass an thighs)

if you don know ny firmin exercise... i don want any others... i really just wanna get rid of that blob of jelly that's called m,y behind an then I can b a happy man.....

can'ts go to gym s no time, an hate doin form TApes... so injust wanna see them an do them everyday Mornin... just a few exercise if any shold DO the trick
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 23:17

Stats: 225/194/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi,

I'm normally a fidgety, impatient exerciser but I have done yoga workouts periodically. Yoga is a good workout - mild strengthening and lots of stretching and loosening up - and after I stuck with it for awhile I really started to notice a difference.

Don't give up on it yet - try it for a couple of weeks and see how you feel. If you still hate it - maybe yoga just isn't the right exercise for you for now.

Sally
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 10:11
Registered Member

Plan: GI Index
Stats: // Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Re: Might not be for you.

Quote:
Originally posted by cs_carver
I used to try the Ali McGraw tape and found myself binging on an entire loaf of bread half-way through when I finally realized it wasn't for me, as written, and it would be better to back off and take it a different way.

Hi! I was wondering if you could clarify this. I'm not sure what you mean. I use the McGraw tape too. It's quite difficult (not for beginner's), and she does say that we should do the yoga session on an empty stomach. Is that what you mean? What do you think was making you binge on bread halfway through?

As for Yoga: it's been nothing but a positive experience for me. However, I never treated it as a "weight loss" exercise. I do weight training for that.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 14:17

Plan: To take over the WORLD
Stats: 85/72/65
BF:100/50/0
Progress:

LInk

link

link

for

Firming

or

weight losing

Exercises.

PELASE

PLESAE

PLESAE

PLEASE (whew, finally spelled that Right)