Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 08:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/128.5/125
BF:
Progress: 83%
Talking Angie's New Mexican Breakfast Taco!!!

I finally got a hold of some La Tortilla Factory tortillas so I was able to make a New Mexican style breakfast taco! yay!
I have found that breakfast tacos in Texas, where I live now, are just unsatisfying. They don't fulfill the two requirements of the new mexican breakfast taco(or rather, burrito):
1. Must be filled to the point of possible explosion.
2. Must have either red or green chile, or both (known as "christmas")
So here is my low carb breakfast burrito with APPROXIMATE carb count. You can find chile sauce and chile at almost any grocery store in the ethnic aisle, or go to a mexican grocery.

Ingredients:
1 low carb tortilla (I used green onion, any flavor is fine) - 3g
2 eggs - 1.2 g
1-2 oz shredded cheddar cheese - .5-1 g, depending on cheese and amount (you can substitute other types of cheese if you prefer)
1 tbsp cream - .5 g
1 tbsp butter
salt and pepper to flavor
2 slices bacon (may substitute breakfast sausage)
2 tbsp green or red chile enchilada sauce(or both for christmas style), at your own preferred level of spiciness, but try the hot for authentic flavor, you may also add green chile from a can for chunks of chile - 3 g (approximate)
Total approximate carbs - 8 to 8.5 carbs

Mix the eggs with the cream, and salt and pepper as desire. Cook in butter as you would scrambled eggs (in skillet, medium-low heat, till cooked through). As you cook the eggs, do the following: cook the bacon (I cook in a microwave, but you can cook in a skillet as well) or the sausage if you don't want bacon. Heat the tortilla ONLY SLIGHTLY in a microwave (only 5-10 seconds, no more!). Heat the chile sauce in microwave till hot, 20-30 seconds. Once eggs are done, put them on the tortilla in a line down the center. Cover with cheese (the cheese will get a little melty, which is good), then the bacon (or sausage) and finally the chile sauce (and chile if added). Done! Now wrap up and enjoy!

This taco is very "full" and about to burst. If you don't like it that way, try making it with only one egg to lessen the bulkiness.

This taco is very very good in the morning, and very filling. And its a great spin on the "eggs and meat" breakfast.

Note, since you have only used a little of your chile sauce, you may wonder what else you can do with it. In new mexico, chile can be put on almost anything. How about:
Burgers!!! ( in my home town, even the fast food places, sonic and mcdonalds, have a chile cheese burger!!) Very good!
Chicken (there is another recipe on the main dish board for enchilada chicken which is great)
Any other meat
Mixed with cheese and used as a dip
Mix chopped green chile into guacomole (use the chopped chile, not the sauce)
Poured over veggies for extra flavor
Be creative!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 20:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 240/220/170
BF:34%/29%/15%
Progress: 29%
Default yum

I love mexican food, this sounds spectacular, now i have to get ahold of some of those tortilas. thank you