Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#2101   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-19, 08:15

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Good SATURDAY morning! - Sipping on my first cup of coffee and REALLY enjoying the posts I have had to skim over the last 3 days! Lordy! - I ended up working until about 9:30 last night and still have one chart to go!

Oh - of course BLUE you would pull the diamond from the post from NIC- not waiting to repeat the same life as our mothers.
Wowsa! - So for me that was pretty easy as my mother disappeared when I was a kid and didn't resurface for years. So there was nothing to compare that too. I just know that since I didn't have a mom growing up I would be totally HANDS ON MOM! So I guess it did effect me in that way. Which isn't s bad.
But to your point NIC- I worked full time and raised kids, and was a wife at the time.
So when my kids went to collage 2007 and 2008- I was in process of getting divorced and it was a shock to go from bleacher sports mom and wife to being single and "kidless".

But I see you NIC as transitioning in such a healthy way! - The fact that you're last kiddo out the door has had all the blessing of a stable and encouraging family is a huge bonus! - I KNOW you will dip your toe into the next chapter and totally expect you to look up to find yourself totally immersed!
You are hardly your mother! BLUE is correct in that "back in the day" women WERE identified by being a mother and wife. Thank goodness we have moved past all that!

As far as the point TRIG made about needing something to give us identity, I agree with her that we as women are not as imposed by that as say a guy. So I think it's awesome that we can choose to put our energy where we want to!
We also have the choice to just kick back like Trig - and just take life as it comes! She has "put in her time"!!!!!-

Interesting discussion! Kids- Again I so agree that at some point we need to let them fly. As hard as it is to watch them fall at times. We are not doing them favors by picking them up every time. But being present and listening is key.

I for the most part am so proud of my DD and all she is doing to raise the kids. However not everything is the way I would do it. But ya know, I had my opportunity this is hers so I keep my trap shut.
I do know she wishes I would be around even more, because she does get a bit overwhelm with 2 babies under 4. But I think it will make her a better person later.
Plus I have a life now too- so even with her I have had to set boundraries.

Cool conversation! I think it is so cool we can relate to so many topic as women! - Wonderful!
Thanks BLUE - for pulling that out!

BLUE- 7 pounds down- blew your goal of 5 out the window!!!!!- YEA! I sorta thought when you said that top "really" fit your were down! Awesome on the pool! I hope they keep it open for awhile for you!!!! Plus you are working on a new project! - You are in such a great place!

TRIG- - how is the Pork chop doing with his back? You are cutting it close with the turn around with clean up from last trip and prep for this upcoming trip!
It would drive me crazy to have a vehicle in the shop so much!
I know you will have a great last summer VACAY!!!-
Did you ever find the kiddo school clothes?

You are getting me motivated to purge my closet as well! I have been meaning to get that done now for weeks! I agree if I haven't worked it in over a year it's gone!
SO proud of you- you are back in your ZONE- less IS SO BEST!!!!

LORI- - I loved reading your post! I know your hubby is proud to show up with you! How very sweet his friend just Brough you right into the mix! Can't wait to hear about your night!
Please get a pic to us!
Are you wearing the "little black dress?" - Love that one!!!!!
So you are going to NYC- I would be terrified to drive that one too. Is it in the heart of the city, or a suburb? How long of a trip is that for you? Have the hubby drive and get a mask for your eyes and keep them shut!!!!! HAHAHAHAH
Have a great time tonight!

NIC- See above as well to you! - Wow on the CASA visit. I have a patient that calls me DAILY and talks real fast like that. I now recognize her number and sadly let it go to VM. She wears me out. So I totally get it. You just can't resign with mental illness. I know this gal I am talking about is manic bi-polar. When she is manic it is just as scary as her "down".
We just don't have the resources for Mental Health providers and patients. So everyone suffers. I can just picture your face as this woman went on and on and on! - Bless you!
---------------------------------------------------------
Date night ended up not happening. I had to work late last night. Rather than rescheduling we both agreed to move on. We are not in the same place. It's cool, no hard feeling at all.

So, I got another call from the Head honcho Medical director. She is over about 12 other medical directors. She is really high up there. Anyway- I have successfully handled about 3 cases for her that were each over million dollar patients. High utilizers. She wants to create a position for me- that will answer to her and her alone.

She ask me how things were going- I can speak so openly with her. She did tell me she noticed my dept is going down in flames and ask me my thoughts on why that is....... so I told her. She did tell me she does not see the program still running 6 months from now.
She did however ask me to "put up with the crap" and "keep your trap shut" for just a little while later- until she can pull me outta there! I just love her! - She is in serious meetings to put something in place. So for her I will
"keep my mouth shut- and fly under the radar and still how it falls. I now get why the managers are "writing up the entire team. They are panicked. They truly are in full FIRE SALE MODE. Not my circus.
Just a couple more months- to let the chips fall. Her call did a world of good to my attitude. It isn't me!

Ok- WOE, For the MOSt part it has been stellar this week. Last night I was just buried in a 14 hour day and didn't have time to cook what I wanted. I ended up ordering a Thin crust Pizza and scraping the topping off and kept on working. But I "feel it" this morning. It is NOT a thinner feeling.

However I splurged and bought a pound of GA shrimp and a serving of Chilean Sea Bass!!!!- Oh yes I did! I also bought some green beans and that will be Devine. I am not eating a pound of shrimp. That will be for tomorrow- but I will butterfly them and Devine them and marinate them for tomorrow. Tonight is sea bass. I love that- with a pat of butter on top! OMG yum!

Today is cleaning up leftover work, laundry, and cleaning and cleaning. this week has been rough with putting stuff away. I pull it out, or dump my laundry on a chair, I need to clean it up.
Jammie day.
Slept in too!!!!! - Needed it, but I will have a busy day, at my pace!

Have a wonderful Saturday!
Sponsored Links
  #2102   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-19, 11:07

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Cake update: Success!! It went a lot better than I imagined. All 3 cakes delivered to the venue with no mishaps! Whew! Now DH off giving his history of our little town tour and then he'll be home for a shower and to get ready and head off to a small reception from 3-5. At 5 he'll head across the street to the reunion party venue to set up last minute stuff. I'll arrive around 5:30. It is only 1 mile from our house, so no problem to each have our vehicles there.

Jaz....no, not the little black dress for tonight. It is a knee length blue specked number with a side tie and I have turquoise wedges to go with it. It is a very comfy pull on style dress, but it does show the curves, I'm afraid.

When we drive into NYC it will be right into Brooklyn. DGS16 plays 2 days down near Coney Island and then up in Queens for 2 days. I know google maps will help us get where we're going. I need to quit being such a chicken and embrace the adventure!

Have good days!
  #2103   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-19, 17:48

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all.

Short one tonight. Just home from my nephew's "house warming party." He and his girl friend just moved into a new house. Quotes because that was the cover story.

Mid party he got down on his knee and proposed to her in front of about 50 friends and family and surprised the heck out of her and all of us. It was adorable and lovely and I was glad to have my sunglasses on because it made me so teary. So much happiness in that back yard!

Almost impossible to stay on plan w/what they served---turkey and ham wraps and all kinds of chips, dips, cookies and deserts. I wish I'd had something to eat before I went because I was darn hungry. I wanted tomorrow to be my treat day as we are going to an art fair that will be loaded w/food trucks.

Oh well. Didn't do too badly, didn't stuff myself, didn't go hog wild.

Anyway, I'm so tired. Didn't sleep well last night at all. I'm off to the sofa to read, but will probably just fall asleep. It was so hot/humid and sunny this afternoon and that just really wipes me out.

Back tomorrow w/more zing.
  #2104   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-19, 17:49

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Lori- Have fun! Sounds like it has all gone well so far.

Blue- Wow good job with the seven pounds down! That is fantastic. Well done!

Re: my pool: we didn't open it because we are having the back area near it torn up and regraded, the concrete area (parts of it) redone and the deck removed and a new one put on. That all being said, it took WAAAY longer than anticipated to get all that going and so we COULD have actually had our pool open. Now *that* being said, I am very curious about costs of running the pool filter etc bc our electric bill was WAAAY low for the month of July, even though July was pretty darn hot, so we'll see what August looks like. It was HALF as much as it has been in July past.

Trig- Interesting convo and good to hear your perspective on yourself and your biz through the years etc. You still have a lot to do on your property etc to occupy your time for sure, too.
I do think there is a difference, at least for me, in having a 'career' that defines me, or that I define myself by, versus wanting something meaningful to devote my time to. I find that with too much free time on my hands I tend to do a whole lot of 'not much' and while I love to have blocks of time to do that, too much time isn't healthy for me. I need some degree of focus or else I move into inertia.

Plus, I want to make sure that I have my own interests and things that fully allow me to step away strongly from thinking about my kids so much. You know? I need to make sure to allow them the freedom to move and fail and fly.. keeping myself active and occupied will help me to train my thoughts away from them as much. OTOH in no way, shape or form do I want to be working even remotely full time! I'm thinking a nice half day schedule a few days a week would do me just fine.

Glad the RV is back and you can start getting ready for the next vacay. This is a beach one, right? How long?

Jaz- I hope that Medical Director ultimately comes through for you and you end up with a job that allows you to work with her. That would be great. With this company though I don't trust it til I see it!

Re: your DD I have no doubt that all my kids will do things with their kids that I don't agree with. I guess each generation probably does. We can just keep repeating that they are not our monkeys.. they are grandmonkeys! LOL. You are wise to keep your mouth shut IMO.

•••••

And then there were four!

DS17 got home from camp around 2 and it was so great to see him. Honestly I had missed him so little that I was not sure how I'd feel about him coming home. But then when he came in the door I was just overjoyed to see him and hug him and hear about camp. I'm sure all that joy will wear off soon enough but it's great to have 'the baby' home.

Then DS20 pulled in around 4:30 or so. Very nice to see him too and he'll be home for a few days before he goes back to College Park to get the rest of his stuff to bring back. Then we were all in the kitchen and it was the usual family mayhem of everyone talking at once, all over each other and things flying through the air etc etc etc.. It's good. Like, I don't want to be back to this full time but still, it's good.

Did a little doula stuff today- not a crazy amount but started to get a general idea of how I'd like my website to have on it, picked out some ideas for what I might do for a logo etc. SoIL will be working on that with/for me. Then I really narrowed down exactly what I need to read for each category to fulfill the reading requirements etc. DD24 is going to help me with doing a spreadsheet for the resources listing I have to do also. Nice to have people willing to help and pitch in.

That's about it for now, on track and doing fine.
  #2105   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-19, 17:59

BF:

Blue! We crossposted..

CONGRATULATIONS to your nephew! How lovely that you were all there to share such a special moment. Happy for you!!

Good job on keeping it to a not-hog-wilder. Not sure I could have said the same!

Have fun at the food trucks/art fair thing tomorrow!
  #2106   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-19, 06:11

BF:

Good Morning!

Blue....what a fun time at your nephew's party! I, too, would have been in tears. That kind of thing gets to me.

The reunion was a huge success and everyone had a good time. We were late getting to bed, of course, and then at 2:30AM, I woke up to the sounds of a bat in the bedroom. Good grief! We opened the bedroom window in hopes that he would go out, but he was a "swooper" and just would not go. DH resorted to the tennis racket. He picked the intruder up with a bag and threw it out the window! Ugh...

This morning DH has the last event of the weekend. They are getting together for breakfast at 9:30. I am forgoing that event and will just enjoy relaxing with some coffee here at home.

Jaz......so hopeful that a new job will be coming your way soon. Glad someone recognizes your value to the company and will try to do right by you.

Trig....all set to head to the beach? I hope you have terrific weather and a great time.

Nic....all the birdies are home! I'm sure you were happy to have the family back under one roof even for a short time.

Well, nothing on tap for me today but laundry and puttering around the house. Sounds good to me!
  #2107   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-19, 07:43

BF:

Lori OMG I can't believe you had a bat in your room again! I guess to some degree you are just used to it, which is sort of horrifying in and of itself. LOL!!

Very glad all the reunion festivities went well. I would have foregone today as well. Enjoy kicking back and relaxing now.. you've earned it!

We had a big thunder and lightning show last night. During all the boomers I don't think it was raining (it was around 11 PM so I didn't check) but the deck is wet this morning so we got some rain somewhere along the way. After a very wet spring and June, July was hot and dry so we needed it.

Apparently DS20 is home until he leaves on the 15th so we get a good 11 days with him. I can't believe that in less than two weeks he will be living in another country. Blows my mind! I am currently on hold with a chat thing on Verizon to make sure he can swap out his SIM card when he is over there.

The most shocking thing about getting used to having kids back is just the sheer STUFF that comes in the door with them. Once we get everything situated, then I can start complaining about the number of cups they feel compelled to go through.

DS17 said he doesn't want to do cross country this year. I am absolutely fine with that! I get so much pressure to fundraise and volunteer etc and I am just so over it. I gave him permission to get a job this year as long as he keeps his grades up. It will be good for him to learn some balance and honestly to have less free time.. he gets into trouble with free time. And he can earn some money to buy music equipment too. He wrote a beautiful song about his camp that made us bawl. He's a talented little mite!

On plan and doing fine.
  #2108   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-19, 11:01

BF:

Sunday Morning!

Blue- I loved your positive post. Young love, and family festivities. I know you didn't have a hog wilder, but you did enjoy yourself. Ya know life is short! It was a party- move on and no regrets! 5 years from now you will remember the family and the sweet couple not what you ate or didn't!

Lori- I am eager to hear about your festivities this weekend as well!!!!- I love the wrap dresses. They flatter MOST people! Oh and BTW- NOTHING wrong with curves, especially yours! You are fit and look amazing!

The trip to NYC- I will be honest- I am a wimp when it comes to 6-9 lanes of highways and cars and trucks are screaming by. I avoid them at any cost. It is nerve racking. Even Atlanta, I TRY to not use the highways, especially during peak times! I feel ya on this one. I would be the one with the face mask not driving.

Nic- I know you are in your element with the kiddo's home! We never stop being a mom ever! SO I have a website I am working on too. Tell me more about how you are doing that. You can take that off line if you want. I might want to hire your helper with mine too!
I am excited to watch you moving forward on this. You will love it- get some experience in and watch the good you are doing and you will be passionate about it! GOOD for you!

TRIG- I know you are working in the rain today to get that RV up and ready to go! We have the same weather! - Very dark, and pouring rain all day expected, on and off thunder. But I know you will look beyond all that and have your sights set on TRIP!!!!! I would too!!!!!
--------------------------------------------
My heart is SO heavy today! I lived 3 blocks from The Oregon District in Dayton for 4 years after I got divorced , it was the last memories I had of Ohio. I went and walked to the District every weekend to the Irish Dublin Pub- because it is a really nice pub with a good crowd and music every Friday and Sat. It is clean and the District is a mostly safe and upscale place. It has some collage bars, but mostly sports bars, and the Dublin pub. I never felt afraid going there. People all pretty much were middle class and just having a good time out. It is not a stretchy end of town. It is a popular area. Again I would WALK there and home on the weekends- sometimes very late. I never had issues- ever. I hope I don't know any of those killed or wounded. Not that every life isn't important. They are.

I feel badly for those kids at the Walmart just buying school supplies.( The other mass shooting) These are kids, sisters, families.
I am waiting to hear names- Dayton is not that big, and it was my neighborhood when I was single. I loved it.
This is a human issue. I guess it really hit me to see my old neighborhood shot up. I know it can happen everywhere. But it really hit home when it truly is in your backyard.

I am meeting a gal I work with for coffee in about an hour. She want to just chat about work.... insert eye roll here)..... last thing I want to talk about on a sunday afternoon.
Have a few errands to run after meeting her.

Have ribs in the crook pot, left over shrimp from yesterday and green beans!!!!!!!- I put my ribs in the crock pot and finish them in the oven for 30 minutes with a LITTLE sauce. They are fall off the bone good. With a side of shrimp!
Come on over TRIG!!!!!!!!- I will save you a rack!!!!!!!!!

yesterday's 110% on plan. It was a work day, then I stayed up late binge watching the final season of Dexter. Yes I did.......

Gotta run these books back, stop at grocery for some paper goods, and a couple things!
Check in later! Have a great day all.

Hugs your loved ones real tight today- we just never know!!!!!
  #2109   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-19, 15:39

BF:

Errands complete and ribs coming out/ side of shrimp- who's coming to dinner????!!!!!!! - HAHAHAHAHAHA

It was really good. Hit the hungry spot and full. OMAD is so amazing.

Dinner was so good!!!!!

For some reason my face has broken out in a horrible rash. It is terrible. I have also been able to get by on "the pretty face"- well it is all broken out. Not sure why. So I went to the drugstore and am switching up my lotion, cleanser, and stop "feeling it"- my face feels dry!

I used to use ONLY Bare minerals. But due to cost I have gone to a drugstore brand. Not saying that is the reason. But maybe?
I will see if the night cream and cleanser switch helps. If not I will flip back to Bare minerals and suck it up.

110% on plan today- not eating anymore! FULL

Last edited by Jaz66 : Sun, Aug-04-19 at 18:27.
  #2110   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-19, 18:49

BF:
Progress:

Hi all.

Trig---I loved hearing your take on how things have/are changing for you as you go on down that road. You have an amazing ability to just LET GO of so much---I have watched you do it over the years. I can almost feel the wind blowing thru your hair w/everything you release on. I could use a bit more of that.

But, I will echo Nic to say for myself, it's not so much about my "identity" although can't say that doesn't play a role, particularly in times of transition, but ultimately it's really more about a desire for productivity of some sort, and yes! "adventure" new paths, new things, even if not in the way one does so when we're younger.

I think you get this on your travels in your RV. Hitting the road and just letting it happen is always an adventure. New places, new spaces, new things to explore. This seems so clearly your passion, and I guess my point is, life is sweeter when you still have a passion for something. That's something I never want to let go of.

Lori---Sounds like the reunion was a lot of fun. I think it's so cool that your hubby gave a talk on the history of your town. Did you guys have a good turn out?

Bats in the belfry, holy moly! In college I lived on the third floor of a very old bldg. on the lake and we had several bat invasions. LOL, 4 girly girls---we called the fire department up the block and they actually came several times and got rid of the bat or bats---hmmm, we were a cute bunch.

Get this, once I put my arm into my bathrobe and felt a lump of something---looked down the sleeve and thought it was a big glob of dust/dirt till I saw the little eyes and nose. Curled up sleeping bat. I freaking freaked out.

Jaz---I understand what you're saying about work. It is so hard to make decisions like this, been there. Would it work to contact this woman who wants to hire you and ask her opinion? I know, that's a loaded decision too. Comes a time when you just have to trust your gut.

I hear you on your sadness over this weekend's tragedies. Don't even get me started because I'm not only sad, I'm darn angry---on and on and on it goes and where it stops, no one knows. But how hard for you to think about this happening in your lovely old neighborhood.

You're sounding so strong on the woe, and happy and satisfied w/it. That's really the sweet spot for all of us I think. It doesn't go on w/out interruptions here and there, but when we're there much more often than not, I call that a success.

Nic---It just warmed my heart to envision you w/all your birdies coming in for a return landing in the home nest, along w/all their stuff and their inability to use a glass or cup more than once---yeah, what up w/that?! LOL, same thing happens when son comes home. Stuff everywhere, dishwasher stuffed w/glasses and totally on over load.

Hey, I'm so impressed w/T's musical motivation and talent. I know he challenges the heck out of you, but to refer back to what I wrote above, he has a passion! And seems even at this young age, he's good at it. Whether it ends up being "what he does" as an adult in some form or another isn't imo, something we need to know today. What is SO COOL about it, is the talent and the heart showing itself in your son. That's the ticket that can grow in so many ways.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a totally fab weekend. Yesterday's yummy surprise engagement and all my extended family there to cheer them on was just the best. I'll say this for my fam---we show up. First house? We'll be there for the warming. Seriously, my other nephew and niece, kids and hubbies flew in just for that, as did an auntie and uncle on my SIL's side. And all of us got a big bonus. Wish my son could have been there, he was bummed to have missed it.

Today we went to the most delightful art fair, one we go to almost every summer. It is set up around a beautiful little city lake and park. My mom was, amongst so many other things---seriously, she was a driven woman--- a fantastic artist and I grew up sitting w/her at art fairs and helping her sell her wares, so art fairs are my old stomping grounds and always remind me of the best sides of my momma.

But oh man, it was HOT. Thankfully it is a reasonably wooded park, so we stopped often to just sit in the shade and people watch. An old pal of ours came w/us and I so enjoyed that. She and I love to see all that creativity and we had a lot of fun choosing a few small but lovely treasures.

And yeah, the food trucks were amazing, and yeah, it was another treat day. I chose carefully, didn't stuff myself and just enjoyed.

Came home and was in our pool w/in minutes. No work out. Walked a couple of miles today, so that was enough. Just floated around and reduced my body temp---I need to do more of just enjoying being in the pool and not seeing it as just my work out place.

Off to watch our latest series now. Have that super nice good weekend just past feeling.
  #2111   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-19, 05:24

BF:

Good Morning!

I have gotten the hang of sleeping in till 6 or 6:30! Seems to be becoming a habit. It helps with my fasting....it is rough waiting till close to noon when you get up at 5....or earlier! I closed my eating window at 4:45 yesterday, so my 16 hours will be up at 8:45 this morning. I'll be ready. I was hungry in bed last night.

At 11 this morning I have my Dr. appt. to go over my blood work. Sigh....I know he's going to bring up statins and I'll have to shoot it down. My total Chol/HDL ratio is awesome, so I'm not concerned. Other than that, I don't have any concerns to bring up with him. I always enjoy talking with him. He was a classmate of my niece's when he did his undergrad. That would make him around 47 years old, I'm assuming. He likes to talk about cruising etc. His wife has MS, so I know traveling is difficult for his family. He has 1 son who is 13 or 14. Anyway, nice guy & I feel comfortable with him.

I sold another item on Poshmark(4 so far), so have to pop up to the post office to send it out. I will work on listing a few more items this week.

I need to get my butt out walking again this week. I just can't seem to get in a routine lately. I know I just need to do it......where is my mojo?

Jaz...hope you can figure out what's happening with your skin. It must be upsetting to have your usually clear skin turn on you! Maybe best to go back to what worked before. Good luck!

Blue...your weekend was perfect. Fairs & arts festivals are always fun. Lots of people watching to do and yummy food to sample.

Trig....I think today is the day you head for the beach? Hope you have a marvelous time.

Nic....Will your son be abroad for 6 months or so? What a great experience for him...and you when you visit!

Greg...hope your weekend was a good one.

Time for another cup of coffee to get me thru till it's time to break my fast. Bye!
  #2112   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-19, 05:54

BF:

Challenge Day 1- Who's in???????
Good Morning all! Today is the first day back for MOST kids in Ga! There is something about the first day of school. Granted it is not a calendar year, but in a way it is the beginning of another academic year. One could say it is another year of goals. Even though I am now an adult I have never lost the signicfigance of back to school and goal setting. I also love fall, and back to school. Although it is still summer here, fall is right around the corner. Fall - for ME is energizing, it is the winds of change. It is my favorite time of year. I am ready for some cooler winds, literally!!

Blue-- I am curious about what you found at the art festival? A pair of earring maybe, a necklace? I love those art shows. Most of ours are in the Fall.
I love the fact you are able to have those precious memories of your mom in that setting. What did she specialize in?
I wonder if that is where you got your artists flair for color, and creativity!!!

Ahhhhh the pool!!!!!!!!- yup pool envy here! Enjoy yourself!

TRIG- I know you were a busy bee yesterday just getting the RV back. You leave Friday right? I am sure you will have a grand time!!!!!-

NIC-- I too think it is cool your kiddo is writing songs! It sounds like he had a great time at summer camp! Was the camp a themed camp? Like a music camp? Those themed camps are all the rage now!
How is your DD doing these days? She should be coming up on an anniversary coming up? Or was it June? WOW time flies!!!!! -
So what more did you have to do to get your Cert?

Lori- - I so agree with BLUE- I would be terrified of seeing bat in the mornings! And you are used to them now!!!!!- OMG!
How is the arm doing these days? I am so glad you found your Chiro treatment! Did she give you a plan for how long you need to go?
What is on your agenda this week? Are you getting Greenleaf this week? What I liked was the recipe cards. Are you keeping those? Are you still happy with what you are getting?
---------------------------------------------------------------
Another week down and a new one begins.

I still am in shock about the Dayton shootings.It is true that people tend to think- oh that would never happen here. I can say I feel that about my home city, and neighborhood. It is a safe place. I was always out, sometimes late- I never felt unsafe.

So I was talking with my son about it, he actually knows a "friend" who knew the shooter. Apparently there was red flags long before when the kids was in high school. He went to a High School one suburb over from us. He comes from a mostly white, upper middle class community. According to DS- he was not liked in school and did not 'fit"- people were afraid of him even then. I will say that Dayton is small and everyone does know everyone. Small town.
My phone was blowing up yesterday. It is just so senseless.
Thing is, his parents are devastated.
It is hard to know when a kid is just going through awkward teen rebellion vs something else altogether. I feel badly for them too. They will need to move. I know the city- they will be shunned.

Enough of that- but really not. I hope we never get to the point "oh it's just another shooting"! - I think people have had enough. I did like a hat I saw someone wearing that said "Faith over Fear".
We live a in a very violent time, or maybe it isn't we just see it now via the media.

Woke up too early this morning! I could have used a few more hours!
Well time to finish up this cup of coffee and "meet the man". I am taking the advice of TRIG, and my medical director friend. - Lay low and just work and take every day as it comes.

My ribs were a bit dry! I think I over cooked them. I ate them, with my shrimp and they were good. However I tossed the leftovers. So I need to think about dinner. I picked up some organic chicken breast and am thinking about just a bit of BBQ and into the air fryer and heat up green beans- super simple.

Again- the more I am appreciating the simplicity of OMAD. It works for me.

Have a great day ladies. Again thanks for listening! This is LIFE- the good, beautiful , and dark side of life. It isn't all rainbows! But it isn't dark days either! - Balance!
  #2113   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-19, 16:02

BF:

Jaz....arm is doing better. I have less pain and more range of motion, although it is far from perfect. I'll have a couple more weeks of twice weekly visits to the chiro and I will go to the massage therapist as long as I feel it's helpful.

Yes, I'm still enjoying Green Chef. I'm making a pork tenderloin tonight. I do modify some of recipes as DH is not a fan of some of the spices. He's more a salt and pepper kind of guy. Sometimes I let the veggies raw for him as he loves to just dip them in ranch dressing. Tonight there was cauliflower & red pepper, so instead of cooking it, I just gave it to him raw. He loved it and easier for me.

Dr. visit went well, and as expected, he freaked about my LDL of 193. He wants to retest in 6 months instead of a year. I told him he can retest, but I WILL NOT take a statin. He said "I know, I know.....there are other things we can do." Whatever. I'm going to do some research to see if there's anything I'm willing to do as far as diet. I think resuming my walking/running will help too.

I got a 45 minute walk in this morning, so started the week off well on that front. Tomorrow morning is Yoga and then the Sport Chiro in the afternoon.

Have a good evening!
  #2114   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-19, 17:45

BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Lori---Regarding your LDL, have you heard of a VAP test? I'm going to send you a link via e-mail. But in short, turns out there's different forms of LDL---bigger, "fluffier" particles that are largely not dangerous and tend to float around in the blood without attaching to the walls of arteries. And then the smaller denser LDL that embeds on artery walls and these are the more dangerous ones. The VAP test distinguishes between the two and what kind you have.

For whatever reason, Doctors don't promote the VAP test. Maybe because insurance won't always pay for it which sucks, as this test provides you w/much more detail about your LDL and the degree of danger it represents to you. Read the link I send and maybe ask your Dr. about it. Maybe enquire as to the out of pocket cost for the test in case you find your insurance won't cover it.

I would also highly recommend the book "The Great Cholesterol Myth." Amongst many other interesting things, this book shows how differently cholesterol effects women than men.

Jaz---Hey, I just finished a book that takes place in Atlanta and I was intrigued by the several mentions of "The Atlanta belt line" referring to what sounds like an incredible walking, running, biking etc. path that goes on and on and on. Have you ever explored this? Oh, and BTW, the book repeatedly mentions Atlanta's traffic as amongst the worst anywhere, just to back you up on what you've often said.

To answer your question, yep, got some earrings and a necklace at the art fair. So pretty and UNIQUE, which is what I love about buying at art fairs---that and I like buying from artists, so they can continue to do what they love and are good at and either make a living on it, or supplement their income.

Oh, and your other question---my mother started out in oils and ended up in water colors. She "painted wet" which means she washed the paper w/water first and then went to work fast to create her vision using all kinds of "texture tools" (mostly all kinds of household items such as sponges, cotton, combs, tooth brushes, etc and many others, to enhance the effect. She LOVED finding a new "tool." ) It is a difficult way to do water color as you must learn to control the flow of paint on a wet surface, and you don't have long. But it also allows you more depth, layers and richness than the medium usually allows. Hard to explain w/out seeing it, but I have 3 of her large pieces in my home, and they are exquisite, very unlike water color as most know it.

Trig and Nic---

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ha. I had a too much fun over the weekend hangover. Woke up tired just from all the social interaction and physical exertion too, all in horrible hot humid weather. Yep, every year about this time I start pining for fall---my most fave season of all.

THEN today our elevators went out here. NOT fun, and at first they thought it might take a WEEK!!! to fix and we were all freaking out. Even though we're only on the second floor, in this bldg. that equals 4 hefty flights of stairs.

Worst part was getting our sweet blind dogger down the steps as they are steep and more narrow than she is used to. We taught her to go up and down stairs before we left our house---w/commands of "up" and "down" and lots of biscuits. But these stairs go on much longer than she is used to, are narrower, and whose the genius who thought of painting them in red enamel? Her little paws could hardly get traction.

Still, proud to say she's a brave little fighter, and although I had to go down the first flight on my butt right next to her---then took a break on the landing---she stiffened her little spine right up for the rest of the way and made it down w/my coaching and me on my feet, albeit w/a close tight hold on her leash.

She came back up like a champ, but we did that three times today as hubby was not here so all "my turn." And then we were both just pooped out, LOL, literally and figuratively. The thought of this going on for a week was over whelming, so we were elated to see it back up and running later this afternoon.

So my day was kind of a wipe out. No pool work out. Didn't really get anything done. DID jump back on plan though. And now it's off to enjoy a Greek Salad and a steak for dinner.

More on my new LC/delish and easy theory tomorrow.

Last edited by Blue52 : Mon, Aug-05-19 at 18:05.
  #2115   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-19, 06:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 198/195/156 Male 69.5 inches
BF:26.5/26.5/21.5
Progress: 7%

Lori, all, thanks for the shout-outs. I am struggling this week. It’s gonna happen. Doctor told me I was borderline anemic after some normal blood tests. I went right home and slept all afternoon. I feel fine. Ran my fastest mile ever on Sunday. First time ever under eleven minutes. Gives me faith in my training. Slowing down a little on my weight loss goal as i feel i am overreaching. Even two pounds a month will get me there. The devil is consistency. Liz is not LC, so I have a few temptations around. Decided I will return to OA as they have always been supportive of my plan. May even get a sponsor. I feel I need to get more personal ie, face to face with my program. Bathroom is still progressing. School begins again in three weeks. Love to all of you. 185-3=182 no movement!
Closed Thread