Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#2611   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 14:01
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Anybody drinking Crio Bru? I saw my first package at Sam's Club yesterday, but found the pricing better online.
Quote:
THE CRIO BRU STORY

Created by the ancient Incas and rediscovered for today, Crio Bru is the ultimate superfood, a delicious all-natural coffee alternative made from the finest fair trade cocoa beans, roasted and ground and brewed just like coffee. But unlike coffee, it’s 99% caffeine free, high in antioxidants and theobromine for a focused, energy boost that will keep you feeling great all day, without jitters or sleeplessness.

As for the taste and aroma, it’s like the best dark chocolate; enjoy it with your favorite sweetener or creamer, or just as it is, hot or iced: natural, earthy, uplifting!

I'll brew my first pot tomorrow. Yum!

My most recent n=1 is LCHF in a 4-hour window, fasting until the next day. That leaves me 20 hrs fasting every day. The difference this time is that every 7th day during the eating window I'm taking in carbs for a BG spike. I'm logging BG. my temperature (which stays around 95 degrees F) and the goal is to raise my metabolism while lowering my weight setpoint. All very s-l-o-w in giving results, but nothing else is working so I figger, "Why not?"
Sponsored Links
  #2612   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 14:52
Boldly going...

Plan: keto
Stats: 410/298.6/225 Male 74 inches
BF:40/35%/17%
Progress: 60%

That sounds wonderful Glenda! Let us know how it is. I've not heard of it yet.
  #2613   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 18:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

It's wonderful. I can't wait for Glenda to report, and see if she loves it as much as I do.

I make it on the occasional Sunday, so it stays a big treat. Add some instant or brewed (whatever we have) coffee, a bloop of HWC and some AS, and it's heaven.
  #2614   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 19:33

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I also enjoyed his proximate and ultimate discussion, but I'm irritated that I'm retaining so much fluid while doing 20-22 hour fasts every weekday. 16-18 hours on weekends. I lost about 10 pounds a month ago and for two weeks, nothing. Fluid retention is an ongoing problem and I suspect it has something to do with being under/incorrectly medicated with synthroid. So...and I'm actually up 4.2 pounds. It is that female time for me, but I usually would have had that big hormone induced whoosh by now. Oh well. My weight remains unchanged and has since mid-February, but my measurements are going down and I promise I can see a difference. I have to admit, I'm kind of disappointed, considering last month was awesome!!! It took me months of no cheats to lose a few pounds, then I discovered the Amazing Dr. Fung and wow!!! I feel great and am shrinking. I just didn't know I would slow down this quickly. Oh, well. I feel good and after feeling awful for so long, that's something I don't take for granted.
  #2615   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 21:04

F2BM: you might consider getting the full spectrum of thyroid testing done, and taking the results to your endocrinologist. There are sites that have doctors on staff, so you can request the tests, they'll order them, and tell you where the local to you lab is where you can go get your blood drawn.

Or, possibly, you need a natural thyroid supplement. About 10 years ago, I googled "synthroid weight gain" and ended up in tears, reading literally hundreds of stories that mirrored mine: normal TSH, but still symptomatic, weight gain, etc.

Changing to a natural thyroid supplement, Armour thyroid, helped a lot. Of course, starting and staying with LCHF did the rest!
  #2616   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 21:15
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I've always had the symptoms of low thyroid, but the tests never warrant a supplement so I just go on dieting. When I saw the ophthalmologist last week, he told me my dry eye and other symptoms are likely caused by my low thyroid. I tried to get Medicare to refer me to an endocrinologist and it was turned down. Just can't win when it comes to doctors.
  #2617   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 21:17

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Changing to a natural thyroid supplement, Armour thyroid, helped a lot. Of course, starting and staying with LCHF did the rest!
I got a phone call from CVS that it was time to pick up my renewal of Armour, and went there today, and it was $100 for a 90-day supply, more than a dollar a pill! How can that be? It's always been cheap before and I thought it was one of those cheap old pills no longer under patent. I nearly fainted at the price!
  #2618   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 21:21

I know, MerPig! Mine used to be anywhere from $18 to $40 for 90 days.

For a while, I was taking 2 different doses together, because they only go up in 30mg amounts, and we wanted to try an extra 15. THAT time, it was $120 for 90 days. I nearly fainted.

I do know that the company that manufactures it was bought a year or so ago. Somebody just found a new cash cow.
  #2619   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-16, 21:57

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Do you have any sort of medical plan that covers part of the pharmaceuticals? I got the shock of my life picking up some of my mother's pills in the US and the reason was that the pharmacy no longer carries over policy information from year to year as they always did in the past. I was able to run home & find her policy paperwork and have the pharmacy confirm and re-enter it for 2016 and then pay $15 instead of >$100.
  #2620   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-16, 00:12

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

🤗 Yes, they're pretty good about testing here. They love it, in fact. Lol! The only thing they didn't test is the RT3. My antibodies are negative and my TSH wasn't horrible, 4.7, I think. They start treating here at about 4, but my T4 was barely registering on the chart and my T3 was just a little low. So, when I tried to self treat with Armour that I ordered from a legitimate pharmacy in the UK, I was I a real mess. I lamented about that in another thread. My T3 was so high that my heart rate was in the 120's and my BP was way high and my hair was falling out it gobs...and I was gaining weight!!?!? So February, a year ago, they cut me off cold turkey after I confessed what I had done, explaining that I was trying to avoid synthetic hormones. They were planning to make me wait two months before starting me on a synthetic, but my T4 level was alarming them. So...here I am and doing so much better! I explained to them that I had been using my temperature and symptoms to decide my dose, carefully researching and charting and such, but doctors seem to get really annoyed with patients prescribing medication for themselves. 😉 It was seriously dangerous and very stupid of me. I had no idea at the time that my body converts to T3 very well and so Armour wasn't appropriate at all for me. I had thyroid toxicity. I know that natural T4 exists in America but they are unwilling to try it. They are super conservative with what medications they make available here. Sorry for the novel!! Also want to add that I still felt tired and awful until they discovered I was also pretty anemic, despite the meat I eat.

So now I'm in a much healthier place in my life and ready to get this weight off! I'm enjoying the self contol and energy fasting gives me, but I had hoped for more steady progress. Who doesn't, right? It's great that so many people just cut out grains and drop weight every week. It doesn't work that way for me and I had hoped that fasting would help with that. I haven't given up and I won't. Even small lapses in judgement results in serious weight gain, so that just isn't an option for me.
  #2621   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-16, 06:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I got a phone call from CVS that it was time to pick up my renewal of Armour, and went there today, and it was $100 for a 90-day supply, more than a dollar a pill! How can that be? It's always been cheap before and I thought it was one of those cheap old pills no longer under patent. I nearly fainted at the price!

During this time as CVS is merging with Target, all sorts of problems! Also our BC/BS has had a major FU since they decided to change billing and customer record systems during the ACA enrollment period. My DD had a similar increase that turned out to be a mistake...too confusing to even figure out whose fault it was since the prescription was with Target to start...any of the three could have miscoded something.
But if it was an allowed price increase by the new manufacturer, that is why Medicare urges everyone to re-calculate the formularies for the drugs they plan to take each year. Drug plans add/remove allowed drugs/co-pay amounts all the time. Good luck trying to figure out how that happened this year! Is there a time you can still change drug plans after the new year starts?
  #2622   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-16, 06:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

And yes, the book is excellent, but we have discussed so many of the topics before maybe that is why there isn't much mention now and some on other topic threads have parts of it.
So question, moderators have said before that threads shouldn't go over 2,000 posts. Maybe the publication of this book would be a good time to start a new thread, with of course, links back to this thread and what everyone thinks are the "basics" on the first page, etc. should I do that?
  #2623   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-16, 07:27

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
...Maybe the publication of this book would be a good time to start a new thread, with of course, links back to this thread and what everyone thinks are the "basics" on the first page, etc. should I do that?

I will follow. This is my favorite thread right now. Thanks to all who contribute.
  #2624   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-16, 07:47

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 255/230/215 Male 72
BF:
Progress:
Default Second month checking in

Checking in after 8 weeks. First month I did fasting 3 times per week, following nothing to eat from 3 p.m. to next morning. Second month, I adjusted to 3 times per week fasting from "noonish" to next morning. It is not easy for me around 8 p.m. so I go to bed early and wake up early. Lots of green tea in afternoon helps.

Right now I find that one of the great benefits is that the day following fasting I am seemingly more disciplined about eating small portions, and that is important. I have laid aside many presuppositions, but find that they often are in the subconscious ready to come out. At least for now, I am following these no more than 18 hours fasts. I try to never miss a meal, often working out twice a day or once at high intensity, and not make the latter on a fasting day. My goal is to lose just half pound a week, no more than one. Diabetic numbers are fairly good except in the mornings. Is this easy? Not for me, but at some point, maybe another month I may venture into the 24 hour fasting . . . maybe. Call me the tortoise. These are already major changes for me. Blessings!
  #2625   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-16, 08:51

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
I've always had the symptoms of low thyroid, but the tests never warrant a supplement so I just go on dieting. When I saw the ophthalmologist last week, he told me my dry eye and other symptoms are likely caused by my low thyroid. I tried to get Medicare to refer me to an endocrinologist and it was turned down. Just can't win when it comes to doctors.

My GP told me endos live and die by their testing labs, so if you don't "test" properly it might not matter anyway, and you'd be out a co-pay and frustration.

Ask the ophthalmologist if they can prescribe, or at least refer.

Those tests are wildly inaccurate anyway, which makes the endocrinologists dependence on them just another instance of lousy medicine. So many other things get prescribed by symptoms, but they just flat refuse when it comes to hormones.

Now, I laugh when I see those notices that go "oooooo, self-prescribing is so dangerous! Always see your doctor!"

BS. I'd probably be in a hospital of some kind if I'd listened to THAT.
Closed Thread