Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 09:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/202/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default Greetings!

I didn't see this area before, WOW! Just what I was looking for!

I just had my annual checkup with MD yesterday and on one hand she was glad to see my weight had dropped, but VERY disappointed that I was still smoking. I have quit more times than I want to mention. She was very somber and said to me "Please let me help you to quit smoking". Her tone of voice got me off my complacent "I'll try again next week" thing.

So, she advised a phone number 1800nobutts, and said there are people on the phone to talk me through the tough times, sounds pretty cool.

So, today at 11:00 a.m. (always the best time for me, don't ask why!), I'll give it another go. I was browsing through some posts and someone said that when you quit you metabolic rate drops back 10%, and that is why the weight gain happens, so to add an additional 30 minutes of exercise daily on to what I normally do. So will try that. I feel like I have the carb thing under control, so am wondering if that will make nicotine cravings less because I used to feel horrible blood sugar swings when quitting.

Thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 16:57

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I was browsing through some posts and someone said that when you quit you metabolic rate drops back 10%, and that is why the weight gain happens, so to add an additional 30 minutes of exercise daily on to what I normally do.

Just to clarify, I don't believe that there are any hard and fast numbers on that. Some people may experience a metabolic slowdown while others may not and I'm certain how much the metabolism slows varies greatly from person to person. Personally I think that there can be several reasons why people may gain weight after qutting such as replacing cigarettes with food and eating more because it now tastes better. Having said that, an extra 30 minutes of exercise probably wouldn't hurt anyone.

Quote:
I feel like I have the carb thing under control, so am wondering if that will make nicotine cravings less because I used to feel horrible blood sugar swings when quitting.

I honestly didn't notice any of that at all, but then I've been low carbing a long time. I think if you do notice blood sugar swings, eating a protein snack will help. That and the blood sugar swings (in theory) are only supposed to last for a few days while your body is detoxing from the nicotine.