Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 23:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 325/304/220
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Prodigal Son returning heavy

I am 55 years old and have been on Atkins two times before in my life for a few years each time. My weight level was great. All that the theory promised. But I fell off the wagon. This time, I have more than a hundred pounds to loose to get to my ideal weight. It's all part of a picture of whom I think I want to be. Anyhow, this time, there a forum. Clearly, I will have a maintenence issue, and I'll certain join that forum when the time comes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 14:50

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Returning?

Hello,
I'm curious, the two times you were on it before--did you lose all the weight you wanted to and then just go back to old ways? Well, at least you know what the answers are. And where to look for help. Hope all goes well, and you find a way to lose the weight and keep it off. This forum is really a great source of encouragement, recipes and information. Glad to see you here. Victoria
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 17:42

BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Yes, I did lose the weight.

Yes, I did lose all the weight I wanted (245 to 198 when I was 30 years old, 310 to 225 when I was 46) but psychologically I still hated my body type. I still felt dumpy. Turns out that I had been suffering since adolescence with clinical depression. for which I got treatment five years ago. I'm making sure to take a capsule of 5- HTP each evening in order to keep my serotonin level up. Thanks for responding.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 17:54

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Serotonin

Hi Hoti,
I remember seeing a new diet pill info thing on TV where the doctor was saying alot of overweight people don't have enough serotonin. They were coupling an antidepressant with a diet aid. It makes sense to me...but I've always been scared of pills. I know alot of people that "medicate" themselves with chocolate or other "comfort" foods. That was a major life change for me: to not go to food for comfort. Especially during the Sept. 11th attack, I normally would have eaten my way through it. But I didn't. I can say truthfully that it was because of low carbing that I wasn't uncontrollable about my eating then.

So I hope all goes well for you this time. It is important to figure out what got us to this point. I know you can do it. Victoria
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 17:27

BF:
Progress:
Default That's a great acheivement!

I wish I had that wisdom during 9/11. Also at that time, I was making a majorly stressful job change, etc. So I "comforted" myself up 43 pounds. The serotinine thing is something I am aware of. Gobs of carbs actually increase serotinin levels. I am trying a nutrient called 5-htp and it seems to be working. My sleep is a lot deeper and less fitful when I take 500 mgs before bedtime. I really related to your quote.