Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 07:42
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/157/135 Female 5'2"
BF:40%
Progress: 33%
Question HOw often should I weigh in?

Just starting Atkins and was wondering how often I should weigh myself in the beginning? I would like to do a weekly or bi-weekly weigh in but like many others on here I have a scale addiction (sometimes up to 4 times a day)

Also how often should I measure myself? weekly or bi-weekly?

Thanks for all your help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 07:49
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

weigh yourself twice a year if you ask me lol. If anyone can stick to that I think it would be ideal.

I think weekly of bi-weekly would be a good plan.

I usually weigh myself daily even though I keep telling myself I will do it monthly. The only time I dont is starting 10 days before TOM when I know I gain weight and it upsets me.

I can also deal with the fact that after I lose a pound I will go up and down with that pound or 2 for the rest of the week usually. I dont sweat it. I dont usually check 4+ times a day but on occasion I will get on the scale more than once a day. I dont expect to see loss and if I see a gain I figure its natural.

Whatever you think you can handle is best.

I measure myself every 2 months or so.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 08:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297.5/272.5/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Try not to weigh yourself daily. Some days, the scale will read a pound or two higher than you expect...and it can be discouraging.

I do once a week.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 08:48
Registered Member

Stats: 215/185/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:21%/11%/10%
Progress: 100%

I weigh myself twice a day, once at night before I go to bed and once in the morning. I like to see the 2 or 3 pounds I drop while I'm asleep everynight, to bad I gain them right back during the day. Weigh yourself as often as you like as long as you dont get upset about day to day swings. I also only have one "official" weigh in on Sunday morning, helps to keep me from straying on Sat night (greatest temptation for carby foods) knowing that weigh in is in the morning.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 09:04

Stats: 175/138/135 Female 5'7"
BF:I did it!
Progress: 93%

I'm trying to stick with weighing myself once a week, but can't resist measuring as often as I feel like it. That way I'm not disappointed if the scales don't move--seems like the inches (or frations thereof!) are going down at a steadier rate than my weight.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 09:07

Stats: 264.0/146/139 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 94%

I am too compulsive. I hate to weigh EACH morning. IF I have lost a pound it does make my day go better. IF I gain a pound, I admit, it may not be the best day of the week for me.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 09:08

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

I weigh daily, but if I see a slight gain, I don't let it bother me. Usually for me, a gain means I ate a lot of salt the day before. Personally, I think that's interesting information to have; it confirms that I retain water if I eat too much salt. If it upset me, though, I would weigh myself only once a week.

Oh, and I weigh myself in the morning, after going to the bathroom, in only my underwear.* I do this because it is most consistent and accurate as well as the most ego-stroking way to do it.

*I mean that I weigh myself in my underwear, not that I go to the bathroom in my underwear.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 09:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/265/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I weigh in every other day
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 09:36
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

I think daily weighing is best if you can learn to take the daily fluctuations in stride, because it gives you more data points and a more realistic picture of what's going on with your body. If you're up on any given day, you can usually track it back to something you ate the day before. In an odd way, an overnight gain of a pound or more is actually kinda reassuring, because you know there's no way you ate enough the previous day to pick up a pound of actual fat! It's also helpful to calculate weekly averages and trends, which clearly show the overall downward direction even if there's an uptick on any given day.

I actually find weekly weigh-ins really disappointing if I'm up weight-wise, much more so than daily weigh-ins. If I lose a pound during the first part of the week, but then go eat salty chicken wings on Friday night, a Sunday weigh-in might just show me up 2 lbs. I won't even know I lost that pound for a whole week more, whereas if I weigh every day, I'll have a couple days to enjoy it before the water gain.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 09:41
Registered Member

Stats: 213/168/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 62%

I limit myself to once a week. If I did anymore than that I'd go crazy.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 10:33

Stats: 225/225/140 Female 5'4
BF:?
Progress: 0%

You probably won't believe this but I havn't even weighed myself since starting Jan 5, and I havn't cheated once. I'm really trying to focus on doing Atkins correctly and I don't want to get hungup on the numbers. I can tell you that I started in (bearly) size 18 jeans and now have to go buy some more since the 14's I have a waaay to big.
I have incorperated one thing from Dr. Phil and removed all the clothes from my closet yesterday that are too large and brought them to salvation armory---wow, someone will be thrilled, a couple Jones New York suits and a few Nicole Miller dresses will make someones day!
I do use the ketone strips (alright, I'm addicted to them) and I use them as a guide that everything is working.....and I'm usually always light to moderate pink.
I'm excited to weigh in on April 1 when I go to the Doc's for a pre-surgical exam, them I can compare to the amount I was at my last time there. (12-15-04)
It may not work for everyone, but it works for me