Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 20:13

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Calling All Somersizers

Just checking up on everyone and see how they are making out with somersizing.

I can't say I am following her plan to the "T" but I think her plan is the closest to what I am doing.

If I have a carb meal, it will be first thing in the morning, and try to stay low carb the rest of the day.

I love the idea of having oatmeal in the mornings.

How is everyone else doing with her plan? or their own plan?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 23:26

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default I'm still pretty happy with it.

Not losing but not gaining either the last couple of weeks, however I am exercising alot and my measurements are much better. So I probably am losing, but make up the difference with muscle.

My husband is impressed enough that he's starting to eat the same as I do. Usually at dinner I make a carbs meal and a pro/fats meal and let him combine it while I eat one for supper and one for lunch the next day. (for example I'll make brown rice in FF chicken broth and then stir fry some chicken and veggies so he can have it all as a single meal and I can have the rice for lunch with veggies the next day) Well now he's eating exactly the same as I am and has no complaints. That's saying something for a hard core carb addict! We even had tacos with shells made of microwaved chedder cheese the other night and it went over pretty well.

But then he can still have cereal for breakfast and sometimes a pasta dish for lunch with a creamy, non-fat sauce. His favorite spinach salad with hard boiled eggs and bacon is fine, so he still gets some old favorites. That's what I really love about this plan, there's not much you do without.

I'm following it as closely as I can, but for the really high fat. I do less cream, butter and fatty meat than she suggests, but I don't do lowfat milk or anything. Once in a while I sneak in a can of Cream of Mushroom soup, a fave of mine and very low carb, but it has a bit of flour for thickening. I don't care for most of her soup recipes. If I had a good one for COM I could use whole wheat flour and make it legal. I should do some hunting for that I guess. Anyone have a recipe handy?

I just got her first three books, after starting with the newest one. I think that for me, the best recipes are all in the most recent book, Fast and Easy . Probably because they are more practical. Far fewer exotic ingredients and more quick lounches and breakfasts.

I have had some problems with um... lack of fiber I guess. Constipation. I seem to do best on a fruit-wait 30-carbs breakfast with an apple for a snack somewhere during the day. Too much cheese for awhile and everything stopped moving. Lesson learned!

Now I'm just working like mad to get my parents on this plan. Dad needs to lose about 100 pounds and Mom wants to lose 20.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 06:51

BF:

Hye Mama,
Sounds like you are on the right track with SS.
I am sure you are gaining muscle and lossing fat, ifyou have been following hte plan and exercising. The scale can be a nasty friend. I liek to judge how I am doing by how I feel and also how my clothes fight on me.

I try to stick on my carb meal in the moring, then LC the rest of the day.

I am also starting to restrict my cheese intake. I was way over doing it! I know you can have fat and should have it, but I was over doing it. So I am going back to the basics.

Tuna and salad for lunch

meat (usually pork or chicken) and a veggie and salad for supper.

I eat a bowl of oatmeal every morning.

Snacks are usually a hard boiled egg, turkey breast, or something simular to that.

Tons of water!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 17:00

Plan: somersizing
Stats: 182/144/130
BF:
Progress: 73%

G'day Kelly
I am writing from Australia and am somersizing fine! I believe that you shouldn't think of carbs as bad. The combining is what is most important. An average day for me is whole grain toast with ff cheese for breakfast or else ff ricotta. Lunch a salad with chicken/ham/protein. Mid afternoon snack of rye cracker/ff cheese and dinner a protein meal, grilled chicken veggies or fish, whatever.
Mos important also is to just eat and not obsess about the foods. That is why somersizing is so good unlike WW which involves calculations of points and become a minute to minute chore of couting!
Good luck........
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 17:15

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 162/155/130
BF:
Progress: 22%
Wink Just wanted to say Hi to the other Somersizers

Hi! I am just beginning on the Somersizing program and I am really excited but I feel that it just has to be to good to be true. Know what I mean? I am so happy I found this site. It will be great to have a chance to talk with people going through the same things I am. I was wondering how the program is going for people that have been on it longer than I have. I have been doing this for over a week and lost 7 pounds. I know I won't continue to loose this quickly but is the rate usually pretty steady or does it vary? Thanks for taking the time to listen. Have a great day. I would love to hear from everyone!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 14:07

BF:

I am back for vacation..what a diet nightmare. For the most part I tried to stay on track, but as the days passed I got more laxed about it. And by the end of the 10 days...I was totally off this woe.

That is behind me, and I looking ahead.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 22:41

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 128/118/115
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hi all, I have Somersizing since 01/02/03. Lost 10 so far, not a lot but for me enough, since I am not at 117. 10 lbs is what I gained over the holidays, I sort of went crazy and ate really bad stuff, like all the cookies and candy mostly. I eat oatmeal for breakfast or ff yougert with Grape Nuts, lunch is usually salad with tuna or chicken and for dinner pro fat with lots of vegies. SS has her own site and has a nice forum too. When I feel like sweets I use Splenda for cold things and Whey Low for baked items. I love Whey Low.
Denise
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 05:27

BF:
Default HI Denise

Great to hear you are doing so well with SS. I never heard of Whey Low before.

I still trying to get back on track from my vacation.

I have to keep motivated. April 12th, I am going ot formal Military Gala...and I already got my dress, it fits fine, but it would look soooo much better if I lost a few more pounds. The dress is completely backless!!! YIKES! What in the world was I thinking when I got this dress???
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 23:49

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Well Kelly, how was the Gala?

I'll bet ya knocked em dead with the backless number. LOL! Welcome back to Somerland.

I've lost another pound, so I'm at 127 now. StephyLyne, I lost about a pound a day starting my third day into this WOE, but then after that I plateaued for several weeks. I think I was still losing slowly but building muscles at the same time so it didn't show on the scale. Definitely looking and feeling better though! And I haven't really wanted to cheat at all this whole time. (It's been about two months for me now)

I see GrammaDeni talks about Grapenuts and Suzanne goes on about them in her books too. I used to love Grapenuts before I had so much dental work (scared to crack a tooth on those little rocks!) so I looked at the ingredients the other day. First thing on the list is plain old wheat flour, not WHOLE wheat flour, and close after is Glycerine, which is a sugar. The nurtrition panel lists 5g sugars, so how can this be ok for Somersizing?

I've never heard of Whey Low either. A sweetener I presume? Shall go look it up! I learned to pay attention to warnings this last week when I got a few maltitol sweetened sf candy bars. Whooeee! My husband now calls them fart bars. Sticking to Splenda from now on...
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 07:22

BF:

Hi Mama,
Not sure on the GrapeNuts, I love them too! But if you decided you are going to eat the Grapenuts but don't like the "hard rocks" try zapping them in the microwave a few seconds. My husband loves to eat GrapeNuts warmed up in the microwave.

I still don't know if it is consider a funky food or not. I just stick to plain oatmeal for my carb morning meals.

I finally stepped on the scale yesterday since coming home from florida...YIKES! I was up to 162!! but today I am down to 161. I am not going to change my stats until tomorrow to see if I can't get down to 160 since that is my starting weight.

I have been working out, and hoping to build up some muscle so I am not worry about what the scale says...as long as I can still fit into my clothes. I rather have a strong healthy body then worry about a bunch of numbers on a scale..and who says the scale is right?

I do like to keep track of my weight just to let me know where I am at, but what I feel and look like are more important to me. People will see ME, not my numbers on a scale!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 19:46

Plan: Somersizing/Atkins
Stats: 251/245/165
BF:46
Thumbs up WOW!

KellyG5 you look amazing in your pics! I just clicked on your before and after pics and I am so impressed! Great job!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 09:28

BF:

Quote:
I'll bet ya knocked em dead with the backless number. LOL

Hi Mama.. I over looked what you posted before...sorry about that.

Well, first of all, I got the dress of the military gala, but it isn't until next month. BUT hubby just got home from a week in the army and they are postponing the Gala, until a later date (which hasn't been decided yet) Too many of the soldiers are on active duty right now. It is a training unit, so no fear of them being shipped out, just activated state side to train other units. So once all these soldiers are doen with the training, my husband's unit will be back to "normal" if there is such a thing in the army right now. I am predicting June for the Gala.
Normally the Gala is in the summer, (june-july) since hubby unit's busy time is the spring so I was suprised to see they had it sceduled for April.

Hubby told all the guys in the unit that I already had my dress...and that they don't want to miss this! LOL DH is not a jealous type of husband, in fact he is very proiud of how I look and likes to "show" me off. He was a bit surprised to see the how low the back was...but then a big smile came on his face thinking about how he is going to feel showing me off..hehe.

I guess that might sound bad...that dh "shows" me off. But it is in a good way. He doesn't tell me what to wear or how to look, And he isn't controling, so I don't think it is bad that he "shows" me off. It would be different if he put pressure on me to look a certain way. I look the way I look because I want to look this way...make sense?

Last edited by KellyG5 : Mon, Mar-17-03 at 09:30.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 09:41

BF:
Default Re: WOW!

Quote:
Originally posted by CraftyGirl
KellyG5 you look amazing in your pics! I just clicked on your before and after pics and I am so impressed! Great job!

Thanks craftygirl! If you were looking at the bathing suit pictures, they were taken exactly one year apart. Spring break in florida one year...and then we returned to same beach one year later.

The truth is..I am about 10-12 pounds heavier now than in the last picture, and mostly flab. I am back in the gym working out and getting back into shape. I am not too far away from looking like that picture so it shouldn't be too hard.

How is the somersizing going?

I lost most of weight with my own type of low carbing. I would have to say SS is close to what I did. If I wanted carbs, I had a carb meal in the mornings, usually oatmeal.

Breakfast: eggs, or cottage cheese, or left overs from the night before. OR a carb meal (oatmeal)
Salad and protien (tuna, chicken) for lunch

Protien and veggies plus salad for supper

Eggs for supper at least once a week

snacks...APPLES! only one a day...or cheese (not both at the same time. celery with peanut butter (funky food to SS)

Tons of WATER. Drink water, and when you think you can't drink anymore, fill up your bottle/glass again and have it sitting there waiting for you again.

And no eating after 7:00pm only tea and water. NO DIET SODAS after 7:00

This is what I followed when I first lost most of my weight. I wasn't any one plan, just a sensible way to look at low carb eating. I didn't hog down on high fats, but I made sure I did have fat in my diet.

Plus I did work out alot. Lots of walking and biking, once I dropped most of my weight I started weight training to tone up everything.

Sorry to ramble on...just thought I would share how I did it the first time around.

I am following the simular menu and routine to lose those nasty 10-15 pounds I gained.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 10:00

Plan: Somersizing/Atkins
Stats: 251/245/165
BF:46

KellyG5,
Its going great so far. I just started SS today. I have been doing Atkins for the past 5 weeks and I am getting pretty bored with the food choices. I have done SS in the past and really liked it. I feel good and I am looking forward to working out this evening. I went back to Jazzercise last week and had a ball. I forgot how much I missed it! I can't wait to take my measurements this next weekend and hopefully see some downward movement on the scale too. Hope you have a good week!

P.S. - Its been nearly 10 yrs since I have been in a 2 piece. You're pics were definitely a reaffirmation that we can all do it! Thanks for the added incentive!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 10:06

BF:
Default You are never too old...

I was NEVER in a 2 piece bathing suit before I was 29 years old!

I never tap danced before I was 28 years old.

I had three kids (2 are twins) by the time I was 27 years old.

Now I wear a bikini and still am dancing. I do several shows a year, tapping, jazz, lyrical and ballet!

I am 33 years old!

Anything is possible!