Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 17:26

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 181/157/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Have a question...

I haven't been able to get any of Montignac's books yet. I thought his plan was about food combining, but I see references to glycemic indexes. Actually I find both helpful.

I've read Suzanne Somers' 'Get Skinny', and EGLW is in the mail. I've also got some other books on combining that disagree with her on fat. She says eat fat with protein, not carbs. One book says you can eat it with either carbs or protein. Another one, by Herbert Shelton, who did 50 yrs research on combining says don't eat fat and protein together!

So, my question is, if the Montignac plan follows combining, what does he recommend about how to eat fat?

Thanks,
Amy

Last edited by Janeydi : Sun, Mar-23-03 at 18:02.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 02:52
Registered Member

Plan: montignac
Stats: 140/140/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default re

basically suzanne copied montignac, adding just a bit more leniency on the fat and portion sizes. montignac says to eat fat, such as cheeses and whole yogurts, with protein meals. very little fat can be eaten with carbs. i am still confused on the whole combining thing, whether or not it is the right thing to do.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 07:24

BF:
Default Thanks for you help...

Does Montignac give a reason why? In the old book I read from Shelton, he says both fat & carbs are completely digested in the small intestine, so they are more compatible. The only thing I could get from S Somers was the fear that eating fat with carbs would tend to make the fat be stored due to the effect of insulin. Not sure that makes sense, since she encourages low-glycemic carbs anyway.

Since both combininations, according to each author, supposedly bring enhanced digestion and health, I'm wondering if fat is neutral.

I notice a tremendous difference when I combine (or separate ) but mostly I just don't eat protein & carbs together.

Thanks again,

Amy
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 08:42
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
The only thing I could get from S Somers was the fear that eating fat with carbs would tend to make the fat be stored due to the effect of insulin.

Janey, that is basically the reason Montignac give, he says that fat cannot be stored unless eaten with carbs. When you are not on the weight loss phase of Monignac carbs that are higher on the GI can be consumed and even on the weight loss phase occasionally a carb such as really grainy bran wheat or rye breads can be eaten and a fibre type cracker like ryvita or finn crisp. In cases like this he really makes a note not to have full fat cheese or butter with them.

Lower fat protein and the low GI carbs are ok as far as I know, fish and vegetables, for example, I notice in his food plan though that pasta or brown rice is combined with a tomatoe sauce not a meat sauce so you might have a point there. The real thing not to do is fat and carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 08:47

BF:
Default Hmmm...

The plot thickens! Thanks, KoKo. I wonder if the fat storage w/carbs is theory or fact. It's so opposite what Shelton says (the guy who studied combining for 50 yrs). Guess I'll do some more digging.

Amy
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 12:34
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi Janey,

Well from what I can see it must be true that the fat can't be stored unless eaten with a carb (to some extent anyway) because isn't that what happens on Atkins - you don't eat many carbs at all and lots of fat - the first two weeks you are allowed 20 carbs but they are all low on the GI so basically it is the same rule just to a stricter degree. After the first 2 weeks more carbs are gradually introduced but basically according to the GI scale he (Atkins) just dosent say that much about it - probably just to keep it as simple as possible and not confuse people.

#7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 15:20

Plan: New Glucose Revolution (ex Montignacer!)
Stats: 155/125/120
BF:
Progress: 86%

read New Glucose Revolution - it explains it a lot better

Montignac is less about food combining, more about sensible eating according to GI

Sommersizing et al just copied it

Spang