Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 12:32

Plan: SBD
Stats: 250/250/175 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hi everyone....

I'm new here, not new to these message boards (or to dieting) but new to the SBD message board. I had lost 40 pounds on SBD around, hmmm, 5 years ago? Then lost the same 40 pounds 2 years ago (that's when I started out on these boards.) Now here I am again with the same 40 pounds to lose.

Trying to figure this all out, why mentally I just can't get past that 40 pounds (the lowest weight I have been is 216) and why I keep putting it back on. I am successful in so many other areas of life, but this one keeps coming back around.

Anyway I was on low carb last summer and got a nasty (and painful) kidney infection so I hesitate to go strictly low carb again. I remember how "easy" SBD was for me to follow a few years ago so went out to the grocery store today and stocked up for Phase 1.

Lookiing forward to getting and offering support here! ) Melanie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 13:11
Registered Member

Plan: Archevore
Stats: 168.5/161/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Welcome back, Melanie.

How I frame things in my mind has so much influence on my attitude and behavior. Maybe you are the same?

I have decided that SB is how I want to eat for the rest of my life. There is nothing that is permanently off limits. If you look at the south beach glycemic guide, there are foods that are to only be had rarely, but they can still be had. It is just that the bulk of the time, only the "good" foods should be eaten. I can live with that.

What I can't live with is a diet mentality. The minute I am focused on "diet", my whole attitude and focus changes. I think of diets as a temporary period of deprivation. Feeling like I am deprived and knowing its temporary anyway give me all the excuse I need to cut it short when loss slows down.

Framing it as "this is the way I want to eat for the rest of my life" has helped me get back on track faster. I don't see a slip up as a reason to quit but rather as a learning experience... a lesson in how I am going to manage particular temptations or situations for the long term benefit of my health.

Don't know if this is your issue, but I hope it helps some. Congratulations on your fresh start, and again, welcome!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 16:16
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Welcome Melanie!

I've got a few things to share with you about why, this time, I've not regained any of my weight but will do so later when I've got time.

So for now.....welcome to our little corner of this big site.....make sure you find the food lists and meal plan charts and print them up for easy reference.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 19:18

BF:

Thank you both and Judy, I would love to hear your story whenever you get a chance! Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 21:03
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemom
Thank you both and Judy, I would love to hear your story whenever you get a chance! Thanks!

OK, I'm going to give you some homework then.
First I think you should read my success story, just click on my success button at the bottom of my post.
Next, it would helep you a lot to see my first journal here as I logged my food daily for 20 months as I learned to eat this SBD way for weight loss...and now maintenance. The link is on the first page of my current journal and feel free to click on that button too.
Its a lot of pages os other stuff so skip all that but look for my food loggings. I wasn't near perfect at first but as time whent by, I did get better with my choices.

I have lost and regained weight too many times to list. It, my weight, beat me down and brought me to my knees. I was scared this last time when I started....very scared that I'd fail yet one more time. But as I did it one day at a time and felt stronger with each day, I kept my head down and just kept moving forward not beating myself up over mistakes.

I made myself a promise that I'd log my food into my journal here daily no matter what...and after I ate it. I needed to do that to keep me in it...for accountability. Reading here daily also was key to keep my head in it. Joining weighins was another tool for me.
But the biggest thing for me was, like Lyndee said, I had to get my mind out of the "diet only" mentality. I decided that I could eat this way for the rest of my life as long as I was enjoying the food. So I taught myself how to cook and make the most yummy meals now.

Its a head trip and we have to change our minds about this diet thing...and truly see it as a way of eating for life...not just to lose the weight.

Are you willing to start to do that?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-10, 22:51

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Welcome Melanie! Those mental challenges with weight loss are sure hard to overcome. I know I struggle with the same kinds of things that you're talking about. I get to a particular weight and can't seem to get past it. I'm really working hard now to break that cycle and get lower than 196 which has up to now been the lowest I've ever been able to go. I wish you all the best!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 15:43

BF:
Default Hi Charran

Hi Charran, thanks for the encouragement. It looks like your original stats are similar to my current ones. I'd love to hear anything you have to say!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 20:28

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Yes, our stats are very close. The thing that has helped me is perseverance. Just keep at it and never give up. I"ve accepted the fact that I"m not perfect. I do make slips, but instead of letting it get away from me, I get right back on plan. I've lost this weight very slowly, but the point is...it's stayed off. I've never gone back to my original weight. I"m not setting up time lines. I have no agenda here other than to lose weight in the best way I know how. I only make the changes that I am willing to do for life. You can do this.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-10, 12:52
Think Pink

Plan: ♥Calorie Counting
Stats: 265/195/175 Female 5' 10"
BF: a few
Progress: 78%

Hi Melanie....welcome back!!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-10, 14:53

BF:

Had a good day today despite gaining a pound from the day before's loss of a pound. Right back to where I started basically.

I sat down and entered what I ate today, does anyone else use this tool? It says I ate 58% of my calories in fat today and I find that hard to believe...

Also trying to get into the mindset that I can do this, one day at a time, just keep going and never give up. I am also realizing that I am just one of those people who HAVE to follow some type of plan ALWAYS. Winging it aint working for me. Too much leeway.

Judy I LOVE your quote that says "Whether you think you can...or you think you can't, either way, you are right." I am going to print this and put it out somewhere for me to see. This is so true and part of my problem....I just get to a point where I don't feel like I can do it or can't visualize myself thinner or WHATEVER. GOing to work on changing my negative thoughts...

On to make some turkey chili for supper...........
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-10, 16:06
Attitude is a Choice

Good Melanie! I really like that one too....its all so much of a head trip...ya know?
How we think about it does effect our ability to stick with it.