Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 08:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 213/145/135 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:
Default low blood sugar anyone?????????

hello to all..i am new here but have been on atkins for over 3 years i started out at 213 and am now at 145 one questions i have is that i have recently been diagonised with low blood sugar...i had a 6 hour glucose test and did not do very well has anyone else been diagnoised with this since being on atkins????????if so what kind of tips do you use to keep sugar in balance......PS i love this site i have learned alot even tho i have been on this plan a long time it has become a way of life for me.....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 10:17

Plan: Lower Carb/glycemic foods
Stats: 179.5/163.5/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I've been diagnosed hypoglycemic since I was 12 (low blood sugar) I find this WOE helps me alot. I don't know your history, but when my blood sugar dips, I know all about it. I get real dizzy like to the point I'm going to pass out, headache, nausea. My whole body (especially my teeth) feels numb.

I rarely get that way on this WOE anymore. When I do, I'll skip my big LC plans and have a couple bites of fruit or a couple oz (not a whole glass) of juice to get myself out of it. That usually does the trick and I'm back to LC. Also, make sure you are spreading your carb alotment throughout the day. That helps too.

Good luck,
Kristi
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 10:22

BF:
Progress:

THANK YOU so much for the info i too get really dizzy but have never passed out..I try very hard to limit the carbs usually under 20 per day I eat lots of protein every day and for every meal....at times it seems as tho i have to eat every few hours which is frustrating otherwise i get dizzy shakey and kindof like a nervous feeling ...Its strange because i do feel better if i dont eat any carbs which in the long run is not a good idea...but if you have more tips that would be great...
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 12:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

I'm hypoglycaemic too. I've found that too much protein without fat can knock my blood sugar levels around. I never eat carbs to sort it out - that's what I did pre-LC and pre-insulin resistance (probably caused it!).
Now I eat - normal low carb food, but whenever I need to.
My own pattern is that I need to eat every two or three hours in the morning, but it steadies out after lunch. (It was always that way, before LC too).
I make almond muffins or orange biscotti (recipes in the kitchen section) and eat them with my coffee mid-morning. This seems to keep me going. They're full of protein and fat as well as some carbs.
Sometimes I need them mid-afternoon too. Eating when I'm hungry means I never get hypos anymore and I'm still losing weight.
Hope this helps,
take care, Jay
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 22:12

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am hypoglycemic. The odd thing is, I have never been diagnosed. Nonetheless, I have the symptoms of hypoglycemia. When I began this WOE my symptoms vanished. I can eat sensibly without experiencing shaky, ravenous hunger. I eat less food in fewer intervals yet, I eat when I am hungry.

I eat 3 meals a day unless my day is a long one, then that becomes 4 meals a day. One of those meals is actually a small snack that will get me thru till dinner. When my protein consumption is high, my control is high. Protein doesn't always come from meat for me. My favorite source of protein is my keto pasta which has 22 grams per serving.

Jaykay, your muffins and biscotti sounds good. I will check out the recipes.

Black57
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 01:34

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

We're an entire family of hypoglycemics! The only time my blood sugar drops now is if I get seriously hungry, like this evening. I'm not sure exactly what triggered it, but I had had dinner, then did some shopping, had a snack, did some more shopping, and by the time I got to where I could have supper I was having a very nasty attitude.

I no longer do what I used to to get my blood sugar up. I just try to make sure my carbs are strung throughout my entire day (starting with breakfast), and like I said, most of the time it's just not a problem.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 06:32

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia after a 6-hour glucose tolerance test in the early 70's. The doctor told me I had an "overactive pancreas" and produced too much insulin. With what I know now, I would suspect that the "too much insulin" was a response to the high carbs in my diet. I always had a "snack" handy (granola bar or something similar stashed in my purse) for when I got the shakes for not eating soon enough, and I had to eat something about every 2 hours.

But with this WOE, not only has my lipid profile improved, but my low blood sugar doesn't happen any more. I eat breakfast at 8, lunch at 11:30, a snack at 3:30, then dinner around 7 PM, which is less frequently than I used to eat. I never get the shakes any more. Oh, and yeah, did I mention that I'm losing weight too???

Joan
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 07:33

Plan: General
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:you kidding me?
Progress: 60%

I have 'episodes' all the time where I get lightheaded and faint, but I don't really know what the problem is. I suspect low blood sugar. Though it didn't start until after I had lost about 20 lbs.

It can happen at any time, even right after eating. I AM starting to get concerned. I'm on blood pressure meds, but my numbers aren't low. Anyone think they might know what gives?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 07:49

BF:

Tagcaver, your symptoms sound just like mine. I could not believe how hungry I would get so soon after a meal.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 07:57
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

I wonder it that is what happens to me, I get dizzy sometimes, and headaches a lot. i was thinking the headaches were stress, but the description of the dizzy, teeth numb, nervous thingy caught my eye. will have to have that checked...
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 08:44
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You don't need to raise your blood sugar alot. That's the problem for most. Your blood sugar goes up when you eat something sweet, then your body reacts with too much insulin and pushes your blood sugar too low.

Instead get your overall blood sguar under control so there are no high and low swings. Eating small meals every few hours also helps with this.

Before LC I would get dizzy spells. When I got hungry it would be all of a sudden. I would end up severly nausiated, and often didn't have the energy to get up and get something to eat, or my tummy was to upset. This made it worse of course. Now with eating LC and many small meals through the day, I don't have those problems. Instead of feeling exausted after a meal, I am full of energy. When I get hungry, it's just that, hunger. I still have to make sure to eat though or I'll feel poorly.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 08:58

Stats: 166/125.5/130 Female 66"
BF:24%
Progress: 113%

I've been hypoglycemic since I was a preteen. I haven't had an episode of it since starting this WOE on August 21st. That's BY FAR the longest I've ever gone without problems (they used to be nearly daily).

I think the secret is to make sure you have protien with each meal and to eat a nice snack (I like cheese or cream cheese with a slice of turkey wrapped around it) between meals.

Julie
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 09:07

BF:
Progress:

Gosh i didnt realize so many ppl had this problem i do have a question though is there not a medication out there for people who's pancreas makes to much insulin if so does anyone take this? ive read a little bit about this or maybe i should see an endo doctor ..im sick of being dizzy every day and i know its not my ears or anything else i have had so many tests done im leary of doctors anymore these days........and oh wait thanks so much everyone your imputs here are of much help
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 10:09

BF:

Low carb has been the answer for me. I think if anything can be controlled by diet, that would be the most successful treatment.

Black57