Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-07, 11:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/161/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Anyone doing the "Raw" diet..tyra Banks

had three dietitians on her show yesterday and each were given two overwieght women to show whose diet was the easiest to follow..well the guy from Celebrity fit club who wrote the "fat smash diet book" won because both the women stuck to it, but the lady who believes eat only Raw foods had one lady who lost 38 pounds in the 2 1/2 month trial...the other women on the team couldn't do it, but the lady that did looked great, said she will never go back to meat again!

just wondering...I'm following a very low carb induction, meat/egg and I lost my appitite for meat!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-07, 13:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 316/238/170 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Personally, I like the lowcarb approach - the food is much better, and I don't have to "think" LOL....but my theory is that any diet will work as long as the person is committed to it, adn can stick to it. Every single person is different - i can't stick to a lot of lowfat diets.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-07, 19:19
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 200/185/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 30%

I'm doing the raw diet, but I'm doing it in an unconventional way. The raw food diet and low carb are remarkably similar, with a few exceptions. Low carb - no sugar, avoid white processed flour, eat more veggies, and eat meat. Raw - no sugar, avoid white flour and all flour, eat more veggies and fruits, and don't eat meat. I'm not eating flour or sugar, and have increased my raw fruits and veggies intake. I have been feeling fabulous! I also juice now! Carrot apple kale is a great juice. It tastes good and it is good for you. My skin looks fabulous and I've lost 15 lbs. I also avoid soda and quit caffeine. I'm trying to eat as natural as possible. Why put a bunch of junk in your body? Why put a bunch of fat in your body? I belive that flour is my body's enemy! Since I got rid of it in my diet the fibromyalgia I had is gone and so are the daily migraines. Try it and see how you feel. I would love to hear from others that have had the same experience.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-07, 19:21
Registered Member

BF:

Oops, and I forgot to mention that I eat cooked meat, but not in large amounts. Sometimes I eat nuts as a meal instead of meat. It just depends on what I'm craving.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-07, 14:09

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 100 inches
BF:I wish I knew!
Progress: 85%

I also avoid soda and quit caffeine.

Was this part hard for you? did you quit cold turkey? do you drink tea now or something?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-07, 00:00

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 203/196/193 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 70%

I have experimented with a raw foods diet (vegan) and it wasn't something that I could sustain. And there really isn't a way to eat "low carb" as your calories come from fruit & veggie carbs and a little bit from fats in nuts, avocados, and oils like coconut and olive oil. Some people on raw foods don't eat fruit and up the fats, but that still isn't technically lowcarb.

There are people who do eat raw meat, dairy, and eggs - their diet is basically raw paleo and I think they call it the Primal Diet. I haven't tried it because that is just too hardcore for me.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-07, 07:07
Registered Member

BF:

I guess I consider it raw because I eat a lot of raw foods through out the day and low carb because I don't stuff my face full of donuts and french fries like the average American. I avoid starch. Yes, it was hard to quit caffeine, but I needed to because I have a bladder problem. Once I quit my anxiety that I have had for a long time lessened, so it was worth it. The main problem with caffeine is that it overworks the adrenal glands. It's not the caffeine that wakes you up, but the effect it has on your system. It forces your system to give you some andrenaline. I drink decaf sometimes which I make with a cappucino maker, so it is stronger and tastes more like regular coffee. Yes it was hard to give it up. I was drinking a pot a day. The more I drank, the more tired I was, and the more I needed. The best remedy for giving up coffee is to go to bed at a decent time, because then it is not as hard to wake up the next morning.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-07, 19:59

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

You know, i never understood people putting down coffee these days...the problem with coffee is nothing...its HOW you make it...the worst coffee (you can do your research) is like you mention susan is them pot of coffee with the filters...that is so toxin you cant even imagine..now a real coffee would be like espresso or a coffee that is freshly ground from the beans...either you use your espresso machine or the good old fashion on top of your stove type or a Bodum...you boil your water you put your fresh coffee in this glass container and it has like a lid that has a round screen at the end so when you put your coffee and boiling water you push down your coffe with that lid...being italian and being raise with mediterranean way of eating and again if you do your research you will see there is barely anyone that is over weight in that area...example: if you go to italy, you have a good look at the women over there no matter what age they are, most of them are all nicely trimmed...why? because they eat well and all fresh, fresh olive oils, fish, tons of veggies, fresh fruits and they all watch the portion sizes...and yes they all have coffee and its fresh too...the problem on the western side is that unfortunately the American diet was introduce to junk food...all processed, fast food resturants and greasy joints...well you know what i mean and it spread everywhere in the US and some parts of Canada...in europe they walk all the time..they never take the car to go to the corner store or groceries cause there are no chain grocery stores...they by day by day...if you buy bread in italy or france the next day its good forthe garbage...hard as a rock...so all this to say, a lot of people will find excuses (some arent excuses but health problems) so they can say: well its because of that or this i have my problem...people should learn to move more...get off their butts no matter what size you are...eat fresh and enjoy life...

oh one more thing...make sure you dont drink espresso before bed time...

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q...nean+diet&meta=
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-08, 07:46

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtolwcb
just wondering...I'm following a very low carb induction, meat/egg and I lost my appitite for meat!

I believe it's because your carbs are too low. If you lose your taste for meat, what do you have a taste for? I'm thinking vegetables and fruit (carbs) Your body is trying to tell you that it needs more carbs to function. If I go too low on my carbs, I get these uncontrolable cravings for carbs and I binge on carbs. I try to keep it around 33-40. Yesterday I had 37 and I felt ok. I don't want to fight my body, if it needs more carbs to process fat as energy then I have to comply.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 00:15

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I've tried to do a raw diet (vegan only, no raw meat ) several times but I never could stick with it. I have such food issues that restricting food groups to such an extreme just messes me up psychologically (i.e., I feel "deprived" and start to crave junk food). So it had a detrimental affect on me.

One thing that bugged me is that when you read a lot of the raw food books, there seems to be a lot of "guruism" - i.e., people who are enthusiastic to the point of being almost fanatical about raw foodism but don't offer a lot of strong science to back up some of their claims.

That's one thing I like about low carbing - the science is there to back it up .

Tam
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 09:12

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up

I think the best way to go raw is in the summer when it's hot and there are plenty of vegetables and fruits. I can't seem to do it all year around, so if I can do it in the summer, it's an improvement.. I think raw meat or fish is not safe and the only time I'd eat raw fish is if the Japanese prepare it because they know if fish has tapeworms or parasites. Plus the fish is ususally frozen at extreme tempuratures to kill the parasites. The Japanese are experts on raw meat, I think.
I was reading that Carol Alt eats raw including raw fish and she'll get it at any restaurant just seard on the out side. I think she's crazy doing that and is going to end up with parasites.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 11:24

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I have thought about it, but it is just too cold here. If I lived somewhere hot where I was always in the mood for fruits and veggies and lighter fare, I might consider it....but when it is always cold and rainy outside all I want is a sizzling hot steak or a spicy chicken curry...
I will admit people on a raw diet have amazing skin.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-08, 08:08

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Sure you can lose alot on a raw food vegan diet, but it isn't the best for you health wise, you really need meat in your diet.
Low carb high fat is the best way to eat based on all the studies out there.