Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-01, 15:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs up

I've been playing around with my version of Atkins Revolution rolls .. http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/bread108.html .. Came up with a decent whole grain-like bun, that rises higher than the original Atkins' (and stays puffed on cooling), has a nice "cracked wheat" texture, slices in half (for burgers) without disintegrating, and very nice flavour, not so eggy.

They've turned out successfully for me and a friendly tester (thanks Sharon .. )

Doreen's Multi-grain Revolution Rolls

3 eggs, room temperature, separated
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
3 Tbsp ricotta cheese
1 Tbsp soy flour
1 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
3 Tbsp wheat bran
2 Tbsp flax meal
1 tsp baking powder
2 - 3 Tbsp water
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Preheat oven to 500 F.
- Sprinkle cream of tartar over egg whites, set aside.
- Blend yolks, ricotta, soy flour, vital wheat gluten, bran and flax meal. Add a couple Tbsp water to "lighten" the batter a little, then stir in baking powder.
- Beat egg whites till stiff, then gently and quickly fold in the yolk mixture. Don't worry if there are a few streaks of white ... you don't want to break down the fluffy whites and end up with runny batter.
- Make 6 buns by mounding spoonfuls of the mixture on top of one another..... on a greased baking sheet
- Place in hot oven; immediately reduce heat to 300 F. Bake for 20 min. Then, reduce heat to 250 F and bake for another 20 min. Buns should be glossy, golden and firm to touch.
- Cool on a rack completely, before storing in airtight container.

total carbs - 20.7, fiber - 10.5

per bun - 3.5 carbs, 1.8 fiber (1.7 effective carbs)

ENJOY!! ..

[Edited by doreen T on 24-02-01 at 16:57]
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-01, 16:29
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

This I must try!

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-01, 08:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Doreen's Rolls - Sharon's Cheese Danish Rolls

Gosh Doreen, this is a tough one...started out saying Doreen's Buns (didn't think this sounded good), nowing I'm trying Doreen's rolls (don't think I like the sound of this either)..but I think you'll get the idea. So for the record...sounds like Doreen and Sharon both have rolls. (Perhaps we should stop make these buns!!) Enough about buns and rolls.........

I've added these ingredients to Doreen's recipe to make what I call "Cheese Danish Rolls".

Before mixing yolk ingredients, reserve a 1/2 egg yolk to use in the Cheese Filling. (I just scooped a little out with a tsp.). By using this little amount of yolk it didn't seem to affect Doreen's recipe.

To Doreen's ingredients I add:
2 tbsp Splenda
1 tsp of cinnamon
(to the yolk mixture)

Cheese Filling
4 ounces cream cheese
1/2 egg yolk
2 tbsp. Splenda
1/2 tsp. vanilla

After mounding the rolls on to a cookie sheet, I made a small indentation in the top of each roll to hold the filling.

MIcrowave the cream cheese until soft (10-15 secs). Add the remaining ingredients to the cream cheese and stir until smooth. Fill each indentation with mixture and bake as Doreen's recipe indicates.

I like to add a little Sugar Free Jam to the top when cool enough to eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E.D. Smith Strawberry is my favourite for this.

Doreen indicated she's not a big user of Splenda and neither am I. I tried this without using artifical sweetener and it seems the Cream Cheese and cinnamon taste better with just a little added.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Sharon : Sun, Feb-25-01 at 14:32.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-01, 16:04

Stats: 210/209/145
BF:
Progress:
Cool Bread recipe please!!

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone had a recipe for bread? I NEED some form of bread to eat sandwich's, I'm starting to feel like there is no variety in this atkins diet! HELP, thanx...
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-01, 09:43

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Talking

Hi Julia

I know just what you mean. I felt like that the first few weeks.

Came up with the idea of replacing the bread with nice crunchy (the crunch factor is BIG for me !) Iceberg Lettuce leaves. Thanks for reminding me that what I used to crave (sandwiches with bread) I haven't thought about for weeks.

I've changed my mental perception of sandwich, which means something in between something else and I always thought it had to be bread - well it doesn't. In fact it feels boring and "no variety" if we always stick to bread-filling-bread.

Take care.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-01, 08:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/lc friendly dietician
Stats: 220/209/140 Female 5'4"
BF:44%/?/20%
Progress: 14%
Unhappy ingredients???

hi doreen!

that recipe sounds great!

but where on earth do i find these ingredients??

soy flour
vital wheat gluten
wheat bran
flax meal

bulk barn?

thanks,

Steph
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 00:16
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Steph

Bulk Barn carries all of the ingredients. Also Loblaws Superstore, in the health foods section. Pre-ground flax meal is kept in the refrigerated section, look for it there. Or, you can buy whole flax seeds (much, much cheaper) and grind them yourself in a coffee grinder/spice mill - just be sure to store in the fridge once they're ground.

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-01, 06:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/lc friendly dietician
Stats: 220/209/140 Female 5'4"
BF:44%/?/20%
Progress: 14%
Default thanks

thanks doreen i'll definitely check it out!

~steph
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-07, 11:34

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I have been making the regular ones and I will try this new recipe as soon as I get the ingredients. I wonder if I can replace the Soya flour with a TBS of plain whey powder.