Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-02, 15:25
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 205/205/175
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up BEST EVER BAKED FISH (super easy too!)

I baked some fish last night and it was the BEST ever, so I wanted to share the recipe with you all here. this is what I did.

I took 5 cod fillets (frozen) out of the bag, thawed them completely (took a couple of hours, although you could easily use fresh fish too), then wicked out the excess moisture with paper towel. Then I sprayed a cake pan with oil, layed down 5 thin slices of lemon (one for each piece), then layed the fish on top of each slice of lemon. then I poured heavy whipping cream on top of each piece of fish. (about a cup total). Then I sprinkled each pieace of fish with some fresh grated parmesan (about 1-2 T. each piece) and a bit of salt. Then put it in a 375 oven for about 30-40 minutes. (depending on the thickness of your fish and how brown you want it to get). THAT'S IT!! It was the best fish I have ever had in my life!!!

I would imagine you could do all kinds of variations on the fish (and ingredients) as long as it was a fairly mild fish that you like. I also thought it might be good and very pretty too, to sprinkle with some chopped almonds and fresh herbs just before serving. I could see this being a special meal for company too! AND SOOO EASY!

ENJOY!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 12:53

Plan: Combination
Stats: 164/159.5/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Sounds Good!

That sounds soooo good. I'm going to try it tonight!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 08:18

Plan: Doctor's Prescribed Plan
Stats: 274/169/144 Female 5' 5"
BF:60%/42%/22%
Progress: 81%
Default This sounds so good!

Carb count for this BEST EVER BAKED FISH

5 Cod Fillets - 0 Carbs
1 Cup heavy whipping cream - 7 Carbs (I assumed you meant one fluid cup of heavy whipping cream, right?)
1/2 Lemon (5 thin slices) - 2 Carbs
1 Cup Parmesan cheese - 4 Carbs
Dash of Salt - 0 Carbs

The ENTIRE dish is 13 Carbs! That's great! (I rounded all carbs counts up to the next highest number, and I also over-estimated on the parmesan cheese because a lot of people go heavy on cheese.)

But most people will only eat one or two fillets (depending on the size of the fillet, of course)...so that would end up at 2.6 per fillet!! I would imagine that the count will actually end up being LESS because some of that cream will drain off the cod.

That's not bad at all for a VERY tasty meal!! Thanks for posting this one!

Last edited by garrison : Wed, Aug-14-02 at 08:25.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 08:26

Plan: Doctor's Prescribed Plan
Stats: 274/169/144 Female 5' 5"
BF:60%/42%/22%
Progress: 81%
Default Also...

...I wonder if this recipe would be good over chicken?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 17:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 325/243/150
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default did you try the recipe w/chicken?

Hi. I found out about the lc forum when a friend told me about the best ever baked chicken. I just had to drop a line here to concur: it is fantastic. Before LCing, I grazed my way through life, cooking almost nothing. But I am really cooking now and eating much more yummy food than ever I ate before. I have so many good LC recipes that I resist going out.

Just got back from two day business trip. All day long I kept promising myself this baked fish. Doesn't it feel great when we feed ourselves something yummy? And it is such a relief to know what to eat. I find it easy to avoid starchy foods because now I know not just what I can't eat but what I can. Before, when trying to lose weight, what I ate didn't always add up to weight loss or health . . . just confusion.

I am definitely going to try this recipe with chicken only I will put a slice of lemon on top of each piece as well as one underneath each piece. As far as the carbs go, I think I get a lot less carbs than someone figured above. I don't eat all the lemon, I use only a few tablespoons of cream . . . but I also bake in small quantities because I live alone: half pound of fish, few tablespoons cream and I think I actually consume a tablespoon of lemon juice. I don't even use a tablespoon of parmesan: I can go way overboard with cheese but parmesan, in my mind, is more of a flavoring and I use it as such.

This recipe is so good. Thanks for posting it and leading me to this forum.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 21:05
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
As far as the carbs go, I think I get a lot less carbs than someone figured above.

It's a great looking recipe and at 2.6 grams per piece of fish, the carb count is very good indeed.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 12:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/266/118 Female 60 inches
BF:

This sounds really great and I can't wait to try it. I love fish--but I must admit that I have NEVER cooked any myself for fear of messing it up. This sounds like something I can do! Thanks!

I just want to mention that I do this same kind of thing with pork (minus the lemon). I am a graduate student and so I often buy cheap packages of boneless pork. Then I salt and pepper them (LOTS of pepper) and then put them in a casserole dish with heavy cream. Be sure there is cream underneath the pork as well so it won't stick. Then I cover with foil and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. then flip over the pork and bake another 20 minutes or so. The cream curdles and makes a kind of gravy which is really yummy from the salt and pepper. And because the pork was cooked in moisture, it is pretty moist--even the cheap cuts that I buy! Last time I cooked this I added sliced mushrooms. I had to add a lot more cream but it turned out pretty well!

Thanks again for the fish recipe. I would have never thought of this!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 16:51
Registered Member

Stats: 258/198/180
BF:25
Progress: 77%

2/26/93

EXCELLENT FISH!

Just made it, and my wife and I love it.
Thank you so much, cant wait to make more...

Evil Elder
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 11:22

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Talking

I don't think I've ever seen frozen filets.

But I'd like to get some!! Great idea. I make a sauce similar to that for my chicken and broccoli.

Thanks for the post!!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 10:45
Registered Member

Stats: 185/155/120
BF:????
Progress: 46%

Hi everyone! I'm pretty new at this...three days new to be exect and I havn't read any book or anything yet. The fish recipe sounds excellent and I going to make it tomorrow. I have a growing family to feed, but I don't want to grow with them anymore!! Is there any side dishes anyone could recommend to go with this or should I just eat the fish and leave the sidedishes for my family. I've just always grown up with always having my meat , veggie, and a starch(potatoes, rice, etc..). I'm having a hard time replacing the starch...should I have more veggies????Is there any kind of pasta I can have???
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 12:46

Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

snverge,

I know what you mean about growing up with the meat, starch and veggie! Now, though, we just serve two veggies instead of a starch and a veggie. Or, sometimes we'll have a vegetable soup or a salad for starters, then a veggie or two with the meat. Also for variety we might add cheese to the broccoli or cauliflower, try different seasonings, etc.

There are lots of good recipes both on this forum and if you do an internet search for low carb recipes. We've had 'macaroni & cheese' made with tofu instead of macaroni. I was a bit leary of that one, but even my 9 year old loved it! We also try new veggies that we might never have thought of before for variety -- bok choy, turnips, spinach, zuchinni, peppers, etc. so we don't get bored.

Just be sure that the veggie or ingredients are acceptable for your level and be sure to count all of the carbs.

Hope this helps.

Peg
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 13:00
Registered Member

Stats: 195/183/135
BF:
Progress: 20%
Question

Do you think it would work over salmon?????
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 13:11
Registered Member

Stats: 185/155/120
BF:????
Progress: 46%

Thanx for the help pegm
I've never tried tofu before but I think I will give it a try. My husband is a real meat and potatoes kinda guy so maybe I won't make it for him just yet. Although he could probably use it himself. I really like turnip cut matchstick like and fried in butter until it's tender.

Also I have a whole salmon in my fridge right now so I also wonder if I fileted it, if I could use this yummy recipe.

Thanx again
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 08:35

Stats: 172/159/120 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 25%

This sounds great ... but for one small glinch. I hate fish! I know I should eat it (omega3 and all) so can anyone tell me if this would work with one of the milder tasting fishes like halibut or whitefish? Somebody go try it and let me know please ... "cluck, cluck" says Norma June the chicken.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 21:16

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Smile

Tried this for dinner tonight and it was wonderful. Thank you so much for this great recipe. We aren't big fish people, but this was so good.

Glenda