Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 23:45

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Try logging your weight on the same day every week. I pick Friday. This will yield a better trend.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-19, 05:21

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Try logging your weight on the same day every week. I pick Friday. This will yield a better trend.

Doesn't work for me
Depression really sets in when I have been sticking to the program faithfully only to find a 4 pound weight gain at the end of the week.

I prefer to watch my weight fluctuations daily. At least then I know its fluid retention or loss.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-19, 04:47

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I'm post-menopausal for several years, dealing with health issues since, and have never "exercised" during this whole ordeal. While I maintained at 150 for years, I caught a virus early this year, and since DH was even further down with it, I was exhausted and relying on low carb frozen foods.

I didn't gain more than 10-15 pounds, but this created a serious flare of my auto-immune disease.

I fasted for three days (it was easy with green tea and sea salt) and then got Very Low Carb. Fatty meat, eggs, heavy cream in my coffee, small portions of cheese, and a dollop of guacamole. That was IT.

And it worked incredibly well. Lost another forty pounds, all the autoimmune issues cleared up, and I felt so much better. This also eliminated nagging cravings which had persisted even when all seemed to be going well.

My point is that it turns out just keeping my carbs low wasn't helpful enough because I had food issues with things even though they were low carb. I was at 150 even eating low carb because I was still eating things like a spoonful of black beans on a salad (I'm horribly reactive to lectins, as a SINGLE cashew made me sick for two days recently) or a heaping portion of broccoli (I don't need fiber and my guts don't like it either) with that "sensible" portion of protein the size of a deck of cards (part of the reason I was dealing with hunger was because I wasn't eating enough MEAT).

This regimen also eliminated seed oils (canola, sunflower, etc) which I am sensitive to. That had crept up with the frozen food, compared to cooking the same things for myself.

I already knew dairy was okay with me, and meat is usually the least allergy triggering food we can eat. Hidden food allergies can trigger weight gain and inflammation all by themselves. By the numbers, I was doing great. But feedback from my body told another story.

Fasting was crucial for keeping my insulin low, which keeps my inflammation low, which keeps me healthy. I still try for an Eating Window of no more than 5 hours, and if I can access proper food, that's easy, too. At the beginning I was eating a whole pound of hamburger at a sitting, and that's okay too. THIS was what my body was craving, and for a change, giving in was the right thing to do

After a couple of months, it stabilized, but here we are a year later, and if I'm hungry, I EAT.

As Dr. Fung says, "Fasting is easy. Just don't eat!" For me, green tea and lots of salt works great. Others swear by bone broth. Try a fast of whatever length feels comfortable, then add just ONE food and see how it goes.

So many of us on the forum have discovered hidden food allergies this way. It can be the final piece in the puzzle. Foods we don't get along with make us hungry instead of satisfying.

This way of eating seems terribly restrictive, but that is NOTHING compared to being fat and sick. Maintaining is effortless, and that wasn't more true than me trying some TINY indulgences during the holidays. No big deal in terms of carbs, but it turned out, a big deal in terms of WHAT I was eating.

I am happy and grateful to go back to what I know works, which includes my beloved sandwiches; only on coconut wraps or as omelets instead of bread. It's even tastier this way Knowing I can handle deli meat and cheese, small portions of greens, and a handful of berries covers all the food groups I KNOW agree with me.

That was crucial for my current success. Might be the hidden element in yours.

Last edited by WereBear : Fri, Dec-20-19 at 04:54.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-19, 08:45

BF:

Thanks for this. Very helpful

I have just discovered I am sensitive to cheese! And I love cheddar cheese! Now I will have to check out cream, cottage cheese and creamed cheese to see if it is all dairy or just one producer.

I have to skip the berry rung entirely - it sets up massive cravings.

Fasting is not for me because of my personal hx. If I deliberately set out to fast I go into panic mode. Just avoiding food when I am not hungry is better for me. No more eating on a schedule. Just eating when hungry.

I am going to check out lectins and see how I react to them. Thanks for the reference.

I am not pre-diabetic or diabetic, but if I eat sugars I get a violent reaction especially when combined with wheat. As in muffins or cookies. That was when I realized, that just like an alcoholic, my food cravings and intolerances just keep developing whether I eat them or not. I wish friends would stop bringing me cookies and muffins as gifts - they go in the garbage as soon as they leave. I asked them not to bring me food but they do anyway. Carbs are ubiquitous.

I have still not gotten back to the weight I was before the overnight weight gain. I assumed it was fluid retention but it doesn't seem to be.

So its back to: try this and see what happens; stop eating this and see what happens. It's been months since I have had a lentil of any kind - if you don't count peanuts - I have had some recently instead of pecans with no ill effects. None since.

I do appreciate your sharing Werebear -- it does help me to put things in perspective.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-19, 09:02

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
I have just discovered I am sensitive to cheese! And I love cheddar cheese! Now I will have to check out cream, cottage cheese and creamed cheese to see if it is all dairy or just one producer.

Me too! Cheese is very dangerous for me - I can binge on it so easily, which ends up with me feeling awful, gaining weight, & my bg going up. But oddly enough, I don't have a problem with cream or cottage cheese. I can eat them in moderation without any cravings or side effects.

Our individual metabolisms are such strange & mystifying things!
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-19, 09:10
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Hi,

I'm 74.

I continue to take HRT.

I agree that exercise doesn't lose pounds, but I'm able to keep physically active and I do.

Maintaining since October 2017.

Still eat the way you do, first started in 1972, but got off the path over the years.

The way I lost my last pounds was by following Dr. Fung's Protocol back in 2015.

Yes, maintenance is very hard. Yes, I stay off the scale because it can discourage me. I have to stay very low carb because I have arthritic fingers and as long as I keep the carbs down, I have no pain.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-19, 09:17

BF:

Thanks, Bonnie. So its not all dairy for you - just cheese! Sigh. All the things I like turn out bad for me. Sigh

Glenda - I am in awe - maintaining since 2017!
I am such an inconsistent person, I am lucky to maintain for 6 months! Good for you!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-19, 11:27

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
All the things I like turn out bad for me.
I think this is a traditional body signal of stuff we should avoid. Can you say mashed potatoes (actually potatoes in any form)?

It takes a long time, but learning to like new things is always a possibility.

I'm sorry that the DietDoctor site didn't have free info for your particular question. But you can find friendly guidance here.

Best wishes.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-19, 12:46

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

cheeses....all cheeses are not equal.

Cows cheese, goat/sheep cheeses.

A1 v A2 milks

grassfed, not grassfed.

American produced v. Euopean cheeses

I read a book last year that was more than a bit iff tge wall. I passed it over during several library visits. But it kept speaking to me, so I did read it.

EATING FOR OUR BLOID TYPE. Rediculous right ? Initally a deep look at where each blood type developed and the foods of those people....and the genes that are on the same chromosome affects the foods we react to or not. Basically it drives home what one person can eat is not necessarily good for another.

Turkey is better for me than chicken. They are not the same.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-19, 13:12
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Glenda - I am in awe - maintaining since 2017!
I am such an inconsistent person, I am lucky to maintain for 6 months! Good for you!
I have had trouble maintaining. At first, I thought I could add carbs. Didn't work for me. I guess some of us just have to stay LC in order to be healthy. Who knows why.