Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 22:29
Happy Spring!!!

Plan: Will be starting SBD soon
Stats: 226.5/223.5/175 Female 5'7
BF:34%/33%/lo as poss
Progress: 6%
Default Those who don't drink enough water- here's an interesting article

When I was on Physicians Weight Loss program I got this article in my packet and found it to be very true, I lost 40 pounds in 3 months and drank between 3-4 liters of water a day no exceptions thats 1+ gallons.

Water- How 8 glasses a day keep fat away

Incredible as it may seem, water is quite possibly the single most important catalyst in losing weight and keeping it off. Although most of us take it for granted, water may be the only true "magic potion" for permanent weight loss.

Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize stored fat. Studies have shown that a decreas in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits. Here's why: The kidneys can't function properly without enough water. When they don't work to capacity, some of their load is dumped onto the liver.

One of the liver's primary functions is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy for the body. But, if the liver has to do some of the kidney's work it can't operate at full throttle. As a result, it metabolizes less fat, more fat remains stored in the body and weight loss stops.

Drinking enough water is the best treatment for fluid retention. When the body gets less water, it perceives this as a threat to survival and begins to hold on to every drop. Water is stored in extra-cellular spaces (outside the cells). This shows up as swollen feet, legs and hands. Diuretics offer a temporary solution at best. They force out stored water along with some essential nutrients. Again, the body perceives a threat and will replace the lost water at the first opportunity. Thus, the condition quickly returns. The best way to overcome the problem of water retention is to give your body what it needs-plenty of water. Only then will stored water be released. If yu have a constant problem with water retention, excess salt may be to blame. Your body will tolerate sodium only in a certain concentration. The more salt you eat, the more water your system retains to dilute it. But getting rid of unneeded salt is easy-just drink more water. As it's forced though the kidneys, it takes away excess sodium.

The overweight person needs more water than a thin one. Larger people have larger metabolic loads. Since we know that water is the key to fat metabolism, it follows that the overwight person needs more water.

Water helps maintain proper muscle tone by giving muscles their natural ability to contract and by preventing dehydration. It also helps to prevent the sagging skin that usually follows weight loss-shrinking cells are buoyed by water, which plumps the skin and leaves it clear, healthy and resilient.

Water helps rid the body of waste. During weight loss, the body has a lot more waste to get rid of-all that metabolized fat must be shed. Again, adequate water helps flush out the waste.

Water can help relieve constipation. When the body gets too little water it siphons what it need from internal sources. The colon is one primary source. Result? Constipation. But, when a person drinks enough water, normal bowel function usually returns.

How much water is enough? On average, a person should drink 8-8oz glasses every day. That's about 2 quarts. However, the overweight person need one additional glass for every 25 pounds of excess weight. The Amount you drink also should be increased if you exercise briskly or if the weather is hot and dry. Water should perferably be cold-it's absorbed into the system more quickly than warm water. And some evidence suggests that drinking cold water can actually help burn calories. When the body gets the water it needs to function optimally, it's fluids are perfectly balanced. When this happens you have reached the "breakthrough point." What does this mean?
Endocrine-gland function improves
Fluid retension is alleviated as stored water is lost.
More fat is used as fuel because the liver is free to metabolize stored fat.
Natural thirst returns.
There is a loss of hunger almost overnight.
Urge for constant urination decreases

If you stop drinking enough water, your body fluids will be thrown out of balance again, and you may experience fluid retention, unexlained weight gain and loss of thirst. To remedy th situation you'll have to go back and force another "breakthrough."

Last edited by nursey15 : Tue, Nov-18-03 at 22:31.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 22:35
Happy Spring!!!

not responsible for spelling errors-- lol it's almost midnight and that was a long article to retype!!!

I was overweight enough that I decided that I needed to drink a river and it was too hard to figure out the 25 pounds=1 more 8oz glass. So I just drank and drank.

For all you starting out- once you hit the breakthrough phase you do pee alot, but not as much as when you first start out and are ridding your body of all that stored crap (no pun intended-see the constipation section) and fluids.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 22:55
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

nursery15,

Felt your article was so important, that I copied and pasted it over on Countdowns, Buddies and Challenges ....Kiss Challenge

Thank you for posting it.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 23:05

Stats: 226.6/209/154 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Fascinating. Thank you so much for posting this... gotta go, that water cooler is calling me...

Katt
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 23:21
Happy Spring!!!

there is so much talk about water consumption around here thought people might find it helpful. It really made a light bulb go off in my head- especially the part about kidneys and liver workings.

I just read what I typed- my high school typing teacher would be proud- I got a D in typing I just wanted to learn where my fingers went, didn't care how fast I typed. I did all that in about 15 minutes and only found about 5 or 6 mistakes lol
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 23:22
Happy Spring!!!

oh wow I have 2 eggs now!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 02:19
Registered Member

Stats: 200/181/140 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%
Question Possible to have too much water?

I'm just curious. Is it possible to drink too much water? I've heard of something called water poisoning. Of course, I'm talking about SEVERAL gallons. Any thoughts????
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 03:56
Hail to the King

Stats: 394/219/200 Male 5' 11''
BF:Big Time
Progress: 90%

Water consumption - This is a problem for me. Unfortunately I don't drink as much as I should. Fruit 2 0 has kind of taken the place of Water for me. Now after reading that Article I better work harder on that.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 04:10

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 190/190/90 Female 153
BF:
Progress: 0%

great article and i believe it
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 06:57
Happy Spring!!!

I was wondering the same thing ssibtain. I see some people here drinking 2+ gallons/day. No wonder they complain they aren't hungry. Where do they find the room for food. Just as in eating everything in moderation.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 07:15

Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%

Great post - one of the things that I've fallen behind on is water consumption - this gives me new motivation. Thanks!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 11:49

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

It is possible to drink too much water. But it is not likely. As you increase your water intake, your thirst response becomes more calibrated. Many people, from the lifelong tendency towards dehydration in our society (air conditioning, most heating systems, the caffeinated beverages, the high sugar beverages) lose touch with their thirst sensation, or commonly, mistake it for hunger.
When you drink adequate amounts of water, your thirst becomes more sensitive, and you start craving the extra water that your body needs.
Cases of water poisoning occur in cases where people drink lots of water very fast (a recent hazing case resulted in death because of this.) Normally, your body will not let the extra water be appealing, your stomach will signal that it is full, etc. I wouldn't worry about drinking too much water, when the by far more common problem is too little.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 12:13

Stats: 259/191/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

Great article, nursey15. Thanks for taking the time to type out such valuable information.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 12:21
Contributing Member

Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

Really think this article needs to be posted on a number of the boards for more people to hear about and read.
I've printed it out and am posting it on my refrig so that I will remember to drink more water TODAY!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 13:33

Plan: Atkins - O.W.L.
Stats: 325/323/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:-/-/-
Progress: 1%

Really helpful info for a newbie! Thanks so much for posting this.