Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 05:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/215/135
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Low Carb Brown Bags

Some one asked what would be a good LC lunch to fix for their kids. My 14 year old daughter does Atkins and here are some of the things she likes to take for lunch.

• chicken salad rolled up in ham slices
    boiled eggs
    deviled eggs
    pork rinds
    tuna salad wrapped in lettuce
    chef salad (dressing can be sent on side in a small container)
    deli meat (turkey, beef, ham, etc.) wrapped around cream cheese and alfalfa sprouts
    meat wrapped around cheese sticks
    celery stuffed with tuna salad
    sf jello
    cold chicken
    cold steak fingers with lc bbq sauce for dipping

That is all I can think of just now.
She also sometimes eats the chef salad the school offers.
She sometimes eats the school hamburger without the bun, but I am not sure it doesn't have fillers . . . also, she comes home very hungry on those days since the balance of the meal is stuff she doesn't eat.

She always keeps a stock of boiled eggs (she calls these her "candy bars" because she eats them so often as a snack) in the fridge and often makes sf jello (we make parfaits with two kinds of jello, one of them usually chiffoned by blending with cream cheese) for when she gets home from school and needs a snack

Hope this helps! Also, I hope that there are additional ideas posted here as we have a whole new school year ahead of us to plan for.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 21:52

Plan: none right now
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Thanks -- that was a terrific list!!

My little girl is 6 and just began first grade. In the last year she has gained a tremendous amount of weight, not only because she has grown like crazy, but she is getting chubby as well -- and clearly not just baby fat, as like me, it's from the waist to knees. She's wearing a size 6-7 shirt and 8-9 pants and I'm feeling frantic to save her from the suckey dietary habits she's been following WITH me.

This coming week (soon as I get my $ and supplements/food) she will be starting a LC way of life with me.

Fortunately, she loves meats, she loves veggies and fruits, and I don't really think she is going to have a big problem eating LC foods. The fact that McD, KFC, and several others are within 500yards of my front door (I am not kidding - across the street) and I work long hours as a single mom, has meant we've eaten WAY too much fast food, which is not an excuse -- I know, that if I planned ahead, used my crockpot, etc. we could have a really good eating plan.

She would be willing to 'diet' just for the hope of getting ME thin, so I know she'll be cool with most of this.

School lunches are a disaster. My god. I read the menu and feel a sort of horrified disbelief. I want her to take her lunch, definitely, but coming up with stuff she can eat, esp. since of course she can't nuke it or refrigerate it, is a challenge. Those ideas are great!

I'm not sure where to find them -- maybe online -- but I think I can purchase a bunch of little plastic containers, I mean the kind that are the size for salsa or something, and put blue cheese dressing in, and send her with veggies to much, she would like that, and the rolled up meats and string cheese and boiled egg would work great.

Sheesh. Thinking about it, I think she is going to LOVE this eating plan. :-)

Regards,
PJ
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 14:46

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Here's a sample of what my daughter takes to school. School lunches are available, but they're fairly expensive unless they're subsidized (we don't qualify) and the selection is along the lines of low fat/high carb and they don't seem too particular about how much sugar is in them. Needless to say, my kids take their own lunch.

Cheese slices (cheddar or colby) or string cheese
Celery with cream cheese
veggies with ranch or bleu cheese dressing (you can find the little cups with lids like the restaurants use at party supply places)
whole grain crackers
Gogurt or sugar-free yogurt
Sugar free jello (gladware makes cups the perfect size for this)
sugar-free pudding
berries
melon cubes
small apples
peach slices
whole grain bread with natural peanut butter and sugar-free jam
deli meat spread with cream cheese and rolled up
peanuts
sunflower seeds
Atkins brownies (my kids love these!)
Atkins muffins
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 12:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins New Revolution
Stats: 286/223/145
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default low carb kids

My daughter has been low carbing with me for the past year. She is a beautiful 10 year old. Unfortunateyl she not only has my metabolism but also my poor eating habits. Many of the suggestions for lunches are exactly what I make for her. I have also found that pepperidge farm light style oat or wheat bread is only about 8.5 carbs a slice. So when she is tired of roll ups or just wants french toast for breakfast, I use that bread. It's better tasting than many of the low carb packaged ones.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 13:29

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Dina!

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it because it's expensive!), my daughter likes the pre-made Atkins bread. I don't know if you have Aunt Millie's brand in your area, but they make a light wheat that is 8 grams of carb per slice and quite tasty; both of my kids like that one.
Neither one of them is too keen on french toast, but they love the pancakes that I make with ground flax meal, eggs and sour cream. Log Cabin also makes a sugar-free maple syrup with Maltitol and Splenda that is pretty tasty for topping them too. I often make a big batch of flaxcakes on the weekends to keep in the fridge for my DH to heat them for breakfast. I'm up and gone to work before they get up, so the DH gets them breakfast and packs their lunches. He was a bit resistant to "putting them on low carb" until I enlisted the support/approval of their pediatrician and pointed out that they are both doing much better in school since we cut the sugar out of their diets.
Obviously, they are at a higher level of carb intake than I am but cutting the sugar was probably the best thing we have done for them both so far and it seems to be working well for both of them, even though one is about 13 pounds heavier than she should be and one is a bit underweight if anything.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 13:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151.5/145.5/135
BF:32%
Progress: 36%
Cool Yea!!

I'm so glad I found this tread! My son is 7 and 105 lbs! He's only about a head shorter than I am, but he's still very "fluffy". lol! Anyways, he's a very picky eater, so you've all given me lots of ideas!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 11:15

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Default Nature's Own Low Carbohydrate Bread

is 7 gr less the 2g of fiber is 5 gr of carb. Or, if they aren't carrying it yet in your area, Nature's Own wheat is 11gr, less 3g fiber is 7gr. There is more than one wheat they carry, so you'll need to check the label. I'm going to try to ease my daughter into it. She will eat salads, but likes too much salad dressing. I probably need to be patient too, til the Lucky Charms are gone. Of course, they prefer those to scrambled eggs or an omelette. I would think that children could eat more carbohydrates than an adult, since they are still growing.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 07:59

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 357/291/175 Female 68 in
BF:52.54%/46.5%/25%
Progress: 36%
Talking

Wow, I love this thread!! My 6 yr old will be starting 1st grade next year, and I will definately use this thread to help him. He is not over weight at all (In fact, he has the metabolism of a racing horse) but he is sensitive to sugar and grains. He was diagnosed with "Hyperactivity Disorder, and Anger Outburst Disorder" by one Dr.

I got a book called "Why your child is Hyperactive" and once I cut the sugar and grain from his diet, he is SOOOOOO much more like my son.

It made it easier for me to go l/c, after seeing the benefits in my son.

I agree about the school lunch menu. I was reading my neice's menu, and would have laughed, but it was scary. Since when did Ketsup become a vegatable?!?!?!?!