Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 04:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL/BFL exercise
Stats: 142/137/130
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Healthy snacks for babies

After being on Atkins, I've noticed that I'm giving my 15 month old twins too much junkie carb snacks. I've been giving them graham crackers, cookies, granola bars, etc. I'd like to substitute some healthy snacks. Choking is still a concern so I can't give them hard veggies such as carrots. I'd love to raise my babies without tons of sugar and white flour. Any suggestions?
Dallasalis
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 06:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/178/147
BF:
Progress: 40%

The doctor use to tell me to give my kids snacks like canned carrots to snack on when they were small. They are soft so you don't have to worry about chocking.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 04:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL/BFL exercise
Stats: 142/137/130
BF:
Progress: 42%

Thanks for the advice. Canned carrots, green beans, and corn are staples at our house. I also have never steamed so many veggies in my life. I just don't want these babies falling into the junk food trap so early. It's disgusting to see what most parents give little ones. Dallasalis
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 13:56
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

My 4 month old just had her pureed carrots with tofu mixed in. For my older son I have started cutting his sugar and flour. I don't deny him because that would just make him want it more and sneak it. He's 3 1/2 btw, so your little one may not be able to eat all of these.

Peanut butter spread on a piece of colby jack cheese and folded in half like a samwich.

Fresh fruit is always good, and I wouldn't worry about it's carb content with children.

My son enjoys scrambled eggs

Whole milk yogurt with fruit

String cheese is a huge hit.

I also make low carb treats for myself and the family. If he wants cookies, maybe he'll settle for a low carb one and never know he's not getting the full sugar. Also cooking with soy flour, ground flax seeds, and splenda can make treats much healthier.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 16:28
This is the year

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

My sister gives her 15 month old little cubes of sf jello to slurp on.