Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-05, 10:35

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 163.4/154.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Could you please tell me what hydrogenated oils and transfat does to the diet?
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-05, 11:29

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutaylor
Could you please tell me what hydrogenated oils and transfat does to the diet?

It doesnt slow or stop weight loss at all. It is highly reccomended to avoid it though because of its bad for your cardiovascular (heart etc etc) qualities.
  #168   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-05, 07:14

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 163.4/154.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Thanks LukeA!! I appreciate it! I eat simply jif and I looked and it does have the hydrogenated oils in it, but it's my fave!!
  #169   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 16:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/164/150 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress:

[QUOTE=tortoise]Not the only one. I think it's totally vile.

QUOTE]

I love the Hood 2% white milk. The first container I bought, however, I didn't see that it should be shaken well. That made a huge difference. Now I think regular 2% milk tastes funny.
  #170   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 22:00
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I know I'm repeating some, but here is my list.

1. Carbtastick meals I think was the name. It was a little TV dinner style dish of LC pasta and sauce. the sauce was thick and gummy and everything tasted nasty. went in trash

2. Love Special K low carb, have to mix the total with something else to stand it however

3. The better homes and gardens Low Carb or diabetic cookbooks. These feature recipies like smoothies with skim milk and bananas

4. Anything with sugar alcohols as the first ingredient.

5. The low carb coffee delight creamers, which are pure sugar

6. Atkins coffee shake in a can. it was like drinking the can. Even the kids couldn't stand it. The slim fast were actually decent

7. Most natural peanut butters except Adams. They just taste nasty to me, like the peanuts went bad first.

It's hard for me to think of more although I know they are out there. While there are more and more products hitting the market. I've been low carbing for a while and have gotten stuck in a food rut
  #171   ^
Old Sun, Oct-02-05, 16:07

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecan
i'm sick of seeing sugar in lc products as well. how can they call it low carb?
anyway, almost all of the carborite candies and cookies have trans fats. (or ARE trans fats, as someone stated. fun experiment: drop a cookie in a cup of tea. turns your tea to slime.) i think the most disgusting bar i've ever tried was the chocolate toffee carborite candy. ugh!

They call it low carb, IMHO, as the total carb count may be low, and the net carbs lower. They do not get that sugar is also very avoided by most low carbers, as are trans fatty hydrogenated oils.

Read the labels on most low carb "treats".........
  #172   ^
Old Sun, Oct-02-05, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by db81971
Atkins pastas....... Unflavored cardboard! No matter how long you cook it, it is still hard and chewy.

-Beverly

If you cook Atkins pasta past hard and chewy, it morphs into spongy and gritty...bad all the way round!

other yucks..

Cabana Ice beverages, clean me out violently (The turbo lax scene in dumb and dumber comes to mind, only more painfuly!)

Most things from Keto, you'd probably get better taste by eating it with the wrapper on!!!

No fan of almost any LC candy with peanut butter in it, except the Carborite peanut butter cup tastes good, but I think it has trans fats...

Most of the Low Carb salad dressings, blech! I just look for all natural ones that are really low in carbs, and have no sugars or TF's...

Walden farms is oh so good, EXCEPT the chocolate sauce, the veggie dips and the fruit spreads....tasteless goo, the lot of it.

Several of the Low Carb breads (pre sliced stuff), too high in carbs (8 grams a slice??) and some have TF's. (I love the Natural Ovens Carb Control, and 3 grams a slice!)

Most every Low Carb snack or meal replacement bar, especiall those with peanut butter! (I do like Atkins choc decadence and cookies and cream. Both high in fiber and an aquired taste)

Most every low carb snack chip out there! There is one called (NOT JOKING) Girlfriends Booty that is good and Hains Carb Fit Nacho chees twirls are okay.

No good luck with most packages of Low Carb bread and muffin mixes. I have some that I could use for boat anchors, and some I swear walked away under their own power!

I also have to watch SA's. It seems that Sorbitol wants to kill me. I had some Sugar Free Log Cabin syrup on my LC French toast today, and it is trying to eat me alive, extreme gastric Distress I read in someones post here. Well, that would be good compared to what I'm going through! And I only had about 2 teaspoon fulls on mt french toast! Can you imagine if I used the 1/4 cup the label said was one serving???

Last edited by ProfGumby : Sun, Oct-02-05 at 16:53. Reason: As Jagger sings, "I'm a, I'm a monkey!"
  #173   ^
Old Sun, Oct-02-05, 16:46

Stats: 191/163/143 Female 170 cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hi guys!! .. i wanna ask something is Cocoa powder (Hinz ) italian brand , has anything with slowing wieght loss, or is it bad,, cause im using it more these days,, i love the taste with the cream and splenda..!!!
  #174   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-05, 17:24

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 145/131/128 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 82%
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajavableu
ugh, in case it hasn't been mentioned before: atkins bake mix.

It tastes absolutely terrible.
I used it for making pancakes, and then I tried coating meat with it.....I just can't get past the awful taste.

Aww, I like it. I rarely use LC "products," but last time I tried Atkins cranberry muffin mix and pancake mix they were delicious.
  #175   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-05, 17:36
Registered Member

Plan: Glycemic Index Diet
Stats: 184.5/167.5/144 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Atkins muffins and brownies are pretty good, but the Bake Mix in the can (for waffles, pancakes, etc) is totally disgusting.
  #176   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 09:36
Registered Member

Plan: modified lc
Stats: 212/143/115 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default question about special k lc cereal

I LOVE THIS Cereal! my kids do too.

will the partially hydrogenated oils slow my weight loss or are they just unhealthy?

I have been eating the cereal a couple of times a week and I have been using it as a coating for baked chicken. YUM.
  #177   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by medialady
I LOVE THIS Cereal! my kids do too.

will the partially hydrogenated oils slow my weight loss or are they just unhealthy?

I have been eating the cereal a couple of times a week and I have been using it as a coating for baked chicken. YUM.

http://www.bantransfats.com/

This link should help answer the question....

Also, compared to how many trans fats you probably used to eat, the amount in the cereal is really low. However, to my way of thinking, a little trans fats in the diet is about as good for you as a little dog poo somewhere in your diet....no actually the dog poo is probably more healthy for you.

I really read the labels and will not buy things if I see trans fats. Admittedly some make it into my diet occasionally......
  #178   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 22:35

Plan: SBD
Stats: 146/136/125 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 48%

I'm adding a quick post just to say THANK YOU!! to ProfGumby, as I have YET to read a post by you that didn't at some point absolutely crack me up~You have a wonderful sense of humor!! Thank you for the info, AND the laughs!!
  #179   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 05:21
Registered Member

Stats: 203/203/133 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Advice lo carb items

Hi,

I am in week 3 of atkins and my hubby found a packet of rolo's (dont know wether you have them in the states, they are caramel centred chocs) they are lc and have 3.1 net carbs in them i ate only three yesterday as a treat but came on here and read some of the threads.

how can i tell if these are acceptible to my diet and how do i know what a trans fat is? and should they contain sugar? if so should i bin them? they cost £1.28 (about $2.50) for 10 in a pack they are about 1/2 inch big, hubby will go mad!!LOL!!!!

so dissapointed if they are rubbish lo carb treats
  #180   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 09:36

Hello Layev!

The rolo's I am fmiliar with are really not low carb, other than in the serving size they list the carb count may be low. Does the label say low carb?

A trans fat is any partially hydroginated oil, this is an oil that if left alone would be fine, but they chemically alter the oil to get it to firm up at room temperatures. These things are not natural and your body dos not process them, nor does it know what to do with them, so they are stored as fat.

I'd be willing to bet they (Rolo's) are loaded with sugars like Corn Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup and the like.

If you only eat one or two, you should be fine, but considering their makeup, I would not eat them myself. And that is sating a lot! I used to love them, and a lot of other candies.

Here is some info to read up on
www.bantransfats.com
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=286613

I wish you the best!