Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-24, 01:30

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Vegan restaurant starts serving meat in bid to keep afloat

Quote:
Vegan restaurant starts serving meat in bid to keep afloat

Nomas Gastrobar, in Macclesfield, Cheshire, said putting meat on the menu was the last option after a range of other efforts to keep its doors open

Plant-based restaurants are putting meat back on the menu as a growing number of Britons are turning off tofu and leaving behind the Veganuary trend.

In the latest sign that plant-based dining is in decline, a vegan restaurant in Cheshire has been forced to introduce meat options to prevent customers from walking out.

Adonis Norouznia, the owner of Nomas Gastrobar, said the restaurant had begun offering meat in order to attract more customers.

“I feed my family from this business; if I’m not making money ,what am I going to do? I would rather change something on my menu to be able to stay open,” Norouznia, who is vegan, said.

The restaurant is based in Macclesfield, Cheshire, where competition for customers is fierce with perhaps a dozen other cafés, pubs and restaurants located on the same street.

Norouznia estimated that by remaining a vegan restaurant he was appealing to just 5 per cent of his potential customers and he had seen diners walk out after noticing that he sold only plant-based food.

“If four people come in, maybe one of them is vegan and the other does not mind eating something vegan but the rest don’t want to eat something that is not meat and then they just walk out,” he said.

“We knew that was going to happen but we did not know that it would be such a high level.”

Norouznia said including meat on the menu was the “last option” after a range of other efforts to boost sales, including holding the prices of drinks the same for three years and offering discounts on food.

The restaurant’s other efforts to attract customers had not worked, Norouznia said. “For three years now we have been losing customers because it is vegan,” he said.

“When I’m exclusively vegan I’m only attracting a very small customer base. But those vegans are happy to go to other cafés because they all have vegan options.”

The restaurant will launch a new menu in the coming weeks with the majority of the food remaining plant-based but the big change will be the addition of a few meat options for customers to order.

“My ethics and beliefs on veganism are not going to change but the restaurant has to,” Norouznia said.

A growing number of vegan restaurants across the country have shut down in recent years. In Manchester, vegan restaurant V Rev closed in September 2022 after 12 years of trading , while in London meat-free Kalifornia Kitchen said it had shut its doors in January 2020.

Even star-studded vegan restaurants are at risk with Neat Burger, a plant-based burger chain backed by Sir Lewis Hamilton and Leonardo DiCaprio, announced the closure of four of its restaurants in November. Two branches of Clean Kitchen Club, vegan eateries co-founded by the Made in Chelsea star Verity Bowditch, were shut down in February last year.

“I am the third vegan restaurant that decided to put meat on the menu in this area — I am not the first,” Norouznia said.

Similarly, Mango Tree, a restaurant which opened offering plant-based food in Taunton, Somerset, announced that it had begun to offer meat options to attract more customers.

The boom in plant-based diets peaked in 2021 with around 10 per cent of Britons describing themselves as vegan or vegetarian. By 2023 this had dropped to just 7 per cent, according to YouGov polling.

Larger companies have also rolled back their plant-based alternatives. Last year, the coffee chain Pret a Manger announced that it had closed half of its vegan-only and vegetarian stores while the dairy-free brand Oatly discontinued its range of vegan ice cream.

In a similar move, Innocent Drinks removed its dairy-free smoothies from shelves and Nestlé announced that it had discontinued two of its vegan brands. Furthermore, VBites, a vegan food business which supplied plant-based products to McDonald’s, fell into administration in December amid declining demand.

Norouznia advised anyone who was hoping to open their own café or restaurant to “consider the current market and come up with a business plan”.

Britain’s hospitality sector has struggled in recent months, with bosses reporting rising costs and staff shortages.

Some café and restaurant owners in the area are considering closing down, according to Norouznia. He added that sales at his restaurant had declined by about 40 per cent compared with the same time last year.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...float-j20rlq52m
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-24, 04:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
The boom in plant-based diets peaked in 2021 with around 10 per cent of Britons describing themselves as vegan or vegetarian. By 2023 this had dropped to just 7 per cent, according to YouGov polling.

The "food" is terrible. Which is why compliance is so difficult. And when they swear off the junk food they try raw vegan, which makes things worse, especially in the protein and fat categories. And it has a special sting in the tail for weight loss. Either it's a different kind of junk food or it's real food but in unbalanced quantities. Either way, there's no satisfaction because the body will be signaling its displeasure.

I also think, for civilians, "meatless" is a hard sell with restaurant dining, especially when it comes to the main course. Vegan restaurants can offer frankenfoods which taste worse over time. This is why vegans online are selling so many new products. They get desperate for something that satisfies but it's protein and fat that their body is begging for.

But even a real sub, like broccoli florets instead of real chicken, in whatever they bread and dip in sauce, has drawbacks, and we're still at appetizers. Honestly, what kind of elevated side dish feels "worth it" compared to getting turkey with real cheese in the mac and cheese?

In every case, it feels like overpaying. Which is how Meatless Mondays didn't become Wildly Vegan Weeks. Everyone knows what people give up for Lent, even if they aren't of that practice.

Even before vegan restaurants became a minefield of lab products, I'm not the only one coming away from that "pure and healthy meal" with gut issues. The more they eat this way, the worse things can become.

Hard sell!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-24, 08:00

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Before anyone opens a vegan restaurant, they should realize that they are appealing to a very small number of eaters. Vegans can usually get vegan meals at other restaurants that also have non-vegan foods.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-24, 11:15

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Before anyone opens a vegan restaurant, they should realize that they are appealing to a very small number of eaters. Vegans can usually get vegan meals at other restaurants that also have non-vegan foods.
'

What's ridiculous about this is that at it's peak, apparently only 10% of the population was vegan or vegetarian COMBINED. That means that if there's a group of 10 entering the restaurant, it's likely that only one of them is vegan. There might be a couple more in that group who are willing to have or try a vegan meal. The rest will be horrified at the idea of paying meat prices (or higher) for fake meat, fake cheese, fake eggs, fake milk...

Now the vegan numbers are down to 5% of the population, so even this scenario quoted in the article is going to be increasingly rare:

Quote:
If four people come in, maybe one of them is vegan and the other does not mind eating something vegan but the rest don’t want to eat something that is not meat and then they just walk out,” he said.

And yet they're saying this?

Quote:
“We knew that was going to happen but we did not know that it would be such a high level.”

I understand the concept of niche businesses (for instance a beading supply store is a very small niche business) which only attracts a certain type of customer to begin with.

But it's a bit different in the restaurant business where you need to provide a menu that has food which will appeal to everyone who enters the restaurant.

I can't see how they did not realize that with 90% of the population not interested in either vegan or vegetarian diets that somehow when groups came through the door, it would be very likely that most of them would not be interested in a vegan menu.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-24, 11:41

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:

It's a common fallacy that has lead to countless business failures over the years -- the owner assumes that because THEY like something, that there must be others that like it just as much AND that they will come and buy it from them. This gets compounded when there's some kind of "social buzz" about something -- plenty of people see it as a permanent trend that will somehow be sustainable over time, largely because THEY like it so much that they can't imagine it not "catching on" long term.

The Low Carb scene saw this a number of years ago, with many (even most) restaurants jumping on the craze and adding low carb sections to their menus (not all of which, however, were actually low carb). You even saw some dedicated low-carb restaurants open up. Around here, I'm not aware of any that survived and try finding a low-carb section on a menu these days. It's back to the norm where you are hard pressed to figure out how to create a single low-carb meal from what is offered.

Niche businesses only work when the only way to satisfy demand in that niche is by going to a niche business. As the article said, you can walk into just about any restaurant and have plenty of vegan selections to choose from, so patronizing a vegan-only restaurant is more about snob appeal than anything else, unless that restaurant manages to establish that it has particularly great vegan dishes that are NOT available most places. But, even then, you are relying on people that dine in ones and twos -- a group of much more than that is not going to be willing to all go there except on a lark.

I had hoped that some restaurants that had a low-carb focus would have survived the death of the LC fad -- and I would have had no problem with them offering extensive non-LC offerings to attract a larger crowd. But, at least here, that didn't seem to happen.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-24, 13:54

BF:

Quote:
It's a common fallacy that has lead to countless business failures over the years -- the owner assumes that because THEY like something, that there must be others that like it just as much AND that they will come and buy it from them. This gets compounded when there's some kind of "social buzz" about something -- plenty of people see it as a permanent trend that will somehow be sustainable over time, largely because THEY like it so much that they can't imagine it not "catching on" long term.

I've had people tell me over the years "Oh you could go into business selling/teaching/doing XXXX!"

I even had a realtor tell me one time "We should have been looking for a retail location for your crafts instead of looking for a house"

Uh no... The various crafts I made over the years (even those I designed) took so many hours that there was no way people would be willing to pay the kind of money I would need to charge if I sold them at minimum wage for the number of hours involved. What people are willing to pay for handmade crafts usually amounts to little more than the cost of the materials involved.

My mother loved to paint. People oohed and aahed over her paintings and wanted to buy them. The problem is that when these people made an offer on a painting, they were barely willing to pay the cost of the canvas and frame - forget the number of hours and talent involved in the painting.

And yet like you said, people open all kinds of businesses based on what they like, thinking surely everyone else will like it too. It's usually not just the person opening the business though - they're usually being encouraged by someone who thinks they could make a lot of money at it, but doesn't have any idea how much time and materials are involved, or that the actual interest in it is very limited.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-24, 05:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

^I agree with the previous observations.

Quote:
Norouznia estimated that by remaining a vegan restaurant he was appealing to just 5 per cent of his potential customers and he had seen diners walk out after noticing that he sold only plant-based food.
My bold. An important point about a vegan restaurant is the nature of the substitutions. It's not like, say, a really successful Middle-Eastern/Mediterranean restaurant chain here in Ontario called Osmow's. Their food is great, and the meats are Halal. I bet most customers don't care, but if that theoretical group of people is looking for a restaurant, your Muslim friends/family/coworkers would. Based on my observation of grocery store prices, there's probably only a marginal price increase because of the Halal certification. (ETA - they also have vegan options.)

OTOH, when you replace meats with soy, gluten, corn, legumes and other plant products, that's a real no-go for people like me. A lot of us are tuned in to allergens these days. There's a reason almost all chain restaurants have a .pdf on their website telling you what ingredients are in which of their foods. I don't care if my chicken is Halal or not, but I sure care if I'm eating seitan or a random corn/legume brick. The walk-outs aren't just walking out because they're 'not that into' vegan food.

Last edited by Kristine : Sat, Feb-03-24 at 05:28.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-24, 05:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wow, the fanatics are punishing him.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...lan-bad-reviews

Quote:
A vegan restaurateur who announced he was going to have to start serving meat to avoid closure says vegan “fanatics” have bombarded his cafe with bad reviews to try to punish him.

Adonis Norouznia, the owner of Nomas Gastrobar in Macclesfield, said “fanatics” had begun “defame” him with one-star reviews since he announced the “difficult but necessary decision” to add meat and dairy to his plant-based menu.

Norouznia, who is from Athens, said he planned to add a “thoughtfully curated selection of high quality, responsibly sourced meat and dairy options” in the coming weeks in order to stay afloat.

“The limitations of our vegan menu, at times, meant we welcomed only a small number of customers, making it increasingly difficult to thrive financially,” he explained in an apologetic Facebook post last week.

In a fortnight pork yeero (gyros) kebab will be added to the menu, along with a Greek salad made with feta rather than coconut-based cheese.

Norouznia, who opened the cafe in May 2020, said he was “spending a lot of money” to upgrade the extractor fan so the smell of roast pig did not put his existing clients off their tofu scrambles.

He said his was the fourth vegan restaurant in Macclesfield to cave in to meat eaters during the seven years he has lived there. “When my business is 100% vegan, I’m targeting only 5% of the market,” he lamented.

Many customers have supported his decision to cater for meat eaters, he said. “A lot of customers had been asking for it and when we announced it they said: ‘great, now I can bring my partner’.”

But others – who Norouzina believes have never even visited the cafe – have started leaving one-star reviews online. One left on Thursday read: “Deserves zero stars. Zero ethics and lapping up the media attention by becoming involved in animal exploitation and cruelty.”

He has also received hateful messages, he claimed. “They say: ‘die! You are going to slaughter animals, you are going to sell animal organs.’ Chill out guys. We’re going to source good quality products from local producers, as we always do. We’re just going to add a few dishes for the rest of the people who are not vegan.”

Norouznia described his critics as “extreme fanatics” who are trying to harm the business with bad reviews, “trying to defame me”.
He begged for a little more understanding: “These people should not be so hard on me. If the business is not making money, and they are putting one stars in just to punish me, then it’s not going to help. They have to show sympathy and empathy.”

Until he made the announcement, “99% of my customers were happy” and he had just one bad review from more than 300, he said.

Many plant-based restaurants are struggling in an increasingly tough market. Last month Greens, a vegetarian eatery in Didsbury, south Manchester, which used to boast about “terrifying carnivores”, closed after 33 years. The owner, celebrity chef Simon Rimmer, blamed a 35% rent increase, coupled with rising staff and ingredient costs.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-24, 20:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
^I agree with the previous observations.

My bold. An important point about a vegan restaurant is the nature of the substitutions. It's not like, say, a really successful Middle-Eastern/Mediterranean restaurant chain here in Ontario called Osmow's. Their food is great, and the meats are Halal. I bet most customers don't care, but if that theoretical group of people is looking for a restaurant, your Muslim friends/family/coworkers would. Based on my observation of grocery store prices, there's probably only a marginal price increase because of the Halal certification. (ETA - they also have vegan options.)

OTOH, when you replace meats with soy, gluten, corn, legumes and other plant products, that's a real no-go for people like me. A lot of us are tuned in to allergens these days. There's a reason almost all chain restaurants have a .pdf on their website telling you what ingredients are in which of their foods. I don't care if my chicken is Halal or not, but I sure care if I'm eating seitan or a random corn/legume brick. The walk-outs aren't just walking out because they're 'not that into' vegan food.

Combine that with the next post about the death threats and 1 star reviews because the vegan restaurant owner has dared to add meats to his menu - I think this is the whole vegan-restaurant problem in a nutshell:

The middle eastern restaurant is catering to their middle eastern clientele, but not in a way that excludes everyone who is not middle eastern or doesn't eat halal. Those who do not require halal will gladly eat there too, because the food is downright GOOD. The halal meat is an extra feature of the restaurant, not something that excludes 90% of the population. By offering vegan options too (which are also ok for muslims to eat) it's a win for everyone who enjoys Middle Eastern cuisine.

If the vegan restaurants had not labeled themselves as a vegan/plant based restaurants and had simply offered a menu that consisted of fruit, veggies, nuts, grains, and beans, seasoned and served in creative and delicious ways (without fake substitutes for meats, cheese, etc), I doubt there would have been nearly as much backlash when they started adding meat to the menu. You can do a lot of creative things with the edible parts of plants that don't involve using animal products or trying to make them look or taste like animal products. There's so many things they could have on their menu that are naturally vegan and have always been vegan (such as peanut butter, tomato soup, fruit salad, etc) - they just weren't specifically called vegan until recent years because people simply thought of them as the normal version of that food.

Of course if a restaurant offered all vegan food but didn't advertise themselves as being plant based or vegan, the hard core vegans would probably give them one star simply because they weren't screaming that they were vegan. So I don't know - I don't really think they can win, especially since they've already labeled themselves as vegan, and are now backing off on having a strict vegan menu.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-24, 20:16

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

In some of my local stores, Halal chicken is on sale for less than regular chicken at competing stores.