Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-24, 20:53

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

When I was a child, our family doctor preached to use drugs as a last resort. He said each drug came with a side effect that will chip away at your future health. I think that was good advice.

What you do depends on whether you want to live for today, or have the potential of a healthier, happier and longer future life. We all have that decision to make — every day.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-24, 04:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
What you do depends on whether you want to live for today, or have the potential of a healthier, happier and longer future life. We all have that decision to make — every day.

Exactly. One meal at a time.

Nothing will kill the fast food industry. But they can't suffer the slightest downturn. Which is why they are always on the offensive about hiding how they downgrade the "food."
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-24, 08:45

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

There are always new and improved 'foods' and drugs.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-24, 13:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Exactly. One meal at a time.

Nothing will kill the fast food industry. But they can't suffer the slightest downturn. Which is why they are always on the offensive about hiding how they downgrade the "food."

It's a corporate thing, and we all need to understand how they work.

A small biz (I have two) only need to make enough profit to provide wages for the employees and owner. More is good, but more than keeping up with inflation is not necessary.

A corp. usually has 49% of the owners not working at all. Yet they want their stock to grow and grow and grow and grow perpetually. Just keeping up with inflation is not enough, because why invest if your money doesn't grow.

So after your market is saturated, how do you keep on growing? Shrinkflation, cut labor, cheapen the products, lie to kill the competition, spread false health facts, publish bogus tests and writing books pretending to be a doctor, and so on.

Perpetual growth is virtually impossible, and it takes underhanded actions to keep it growing as long as it can.

That's why you need to read everything with skepticism. It may say it's from a doctor or impartial test, but take that with a grain of salt.

Watch your body, and how it responds to what you are eating. Stay away from frankenfood, and keep to the perimeter of the grocery store as much as possible. I'm not a doctor, but this works for me.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-24, 03:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Not if soon everyone will be able to have a Krispy Kreme donut with your Big Mac meal!
Krispy Kreme doughnuts are coming to McDonald’s

https://wapo.st/49eLuLw
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-24, 07:27

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

McDonald's has given up the pretense that they serve healthy food.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-24, 08:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

LOL, did they ever? DNut stock price surged 40% yesterday, only a minor pull back this morning, giving their customers the UPF they really want, wherever they go!
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-24, 14:10

BF:

So. We eat according to the stock market now.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-24, 16:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
So. We eat according to the stock market now.

Here in the USA, we do everything according to the stock market.

The stock market oligarchs are the true rulers of this country. Being aware of that can help us make better decisions for just about everything.

There are times when buying corporate is good, other times when buying from private business is good, and other times when not buying is good.

Knowing the incentives helps you make it better.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-24, 01:08
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Krispy Kreme doughnuts are coming to McDonald’s

https://wapo.st/49eLuLw

Pizza is coming to Tim Hortons. We're the Canadian Dunkin' Donuts, if you're unfamiliar. The oven is sitting in our lunch room waiting to be installed and we were drop-shipped a case of pizza sauce.

The restaurant industry is out of control with trying to be everything to everybody, and constantly needing to feed (pardon the pun) everyone's toddler-brain excitement over a Shiny New Thing. They're the epitome of being a "jack of all trades, master of none." Instead of being really good at something, they become crappy at everything.

(On the plus side for me personally, I hope the pepperoni is gluten-free because I'll be making a lot of pizza casserole for my lunches.)
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-24, 03:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
everyone's toddler-brain excitement over a Shiny New Thing

This made me laugh and laugh. It truly is a governing principle in so many places these days.

Back in the day, Saturday Night Live had a skit where "we stuffed a burrito inside a gordita and give it to you in this tote bag made of guacamole" and I'm sure they have engineers working on it right now.

What's chilling about it is how marketing has gone beyond selling everyone essentially the same dish soap (Dawn is good for getting oil off duck chicks because it contains more engine degreaser than the others) and instead, they are using it in what can only be called cult indoctrination.

It's a solid principle that if you confuse a person, they are actually more likely to believe your lies. Even when staring at a menu board from several disparate "food groups," the brain wants to make sense of things. Even when what is presented makes no sense.

When the choice is constantly for the fun! feeling over a less-fun but more lasting feeling of well-being, choosing ten minutes over the other 23+ hours of our lives... it is the addiction talking.

Which made me realize: when was the last time I saw a meal on television that looked like a meal that people should eat? What happened to "Beef, it's what for dinner"? They aren't role modeling what any true Healthy Plate looks like.
My steak and eggs meal is not considered "healthy" even though it's packed with protein, healthy fats, and more vitamins and minerals than a whole bushel of wheat.

Since I try to talk to people this way, and they talk about the expense. I got a package of beef stew for $5 and it was a meal for both DH and I. I try to explain that there's no other food with so much nutrition for $5, that's almost the price of two cheap frozen meals or one fancy one.

Which has almost as little food as the McD's choice. I want to scream, "Don't you get it? Their business model is to keep you hungry!"
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-24, 07:46

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
The restaurant industry is out of control with trying to be everything to everybody, and constantly needing to feed (pardon the pun) everyone's toddler-brain excitement over a Shiny New Thing. They're the epitome of being a "jack of all trades, master of none." Instead of being really good at something, they become crappy at everything.

I worked at a Pizza Hut briefly (very briefly) in the 70's, and that was the business plan back then.

They had an indroctination... Oops sorry, learning session where they introduced the employees to their newest product at the time. They'd been making thin crust pizzas for years, and then added a thick crust pizza to their menu.

This was all based on their research about what customers like. They started out by visiting pizza places all over the country - local chains, old fashioned mom & pop pizza places, trying out the pizzas at all those restaurants, analyzing them to figure out exactly what ingredients and proportions were used to make them. The spent time talking to customers about what they preferred or didn't like about the pizza from certain restaurants in their area. How much cheese, how much sauce, what type of sauce, how many slices of pepperoni do they expect on this size pizza, how thick they liked for their thick crust pizza to be, sweet/savory balance in the sauce, etc.

Then of course came development - and testing different combinations of thickness/thinness of the crust, with different amounts and recipes for the sauce, seasonings, and so on. Sample testing on focus groups, and so on and so on...

Years were put into researching and developing what they considered to be the "ideal pizza" recipe that they believed would appeal to the most customers.

Of course what they ended up with was a very generic, non-descript pizza, devoid of all the unique flavors and textures that made specific pizza restaurants they researched favorites with the customers of those restaurants.

Everything was reduced to the least common denominator - with the highest profit margin possible.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-24, 13:13

BF:

I get a millet and flax lavash (flatbread) at a local 'health food' store. It's low carb-low glycemic and it's made in Tampa, across the state by a company called Sami's.

I spread organic tomato sauce (no sugar) sprinkled with oregano and other spices on it.

A little olive oil is drizzled on that.

Then whole milk mozzarella and other cheeses. No part skim cheese. None of that hormone treated cow's cheese either.

Toppings next, I really like pepperoni (I know, but a little bit once in a while is OK with me).

Sheep milk Romano on top of everything.

Bake in a toaster oven.

IMO it's low carb, keto-friendly, tasty and healthy one person pizza.