Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 09:18
O2B PB Free!

Plan: LC
Stats: 242/229/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Newbie to the Triple Digits Club

Hi! I'm Dell, and I've been here a week or two, and have already started a journal. Was glad to find the Triple Digits Club, as I have more than 100 pounds to lose.

It's just sinking in to me how comfortable it is to come to this site and admit how much I weigh. Let's face it, that's not something we talk about with others face to face. We dress hoping to hide our fat, we are conscious of the looks we get in the grocery store when we buy things people think we shouldn't be eating, we don't tell others when we go on a "diet" lest we fail again, etc. To be able to come here and post stats and talk about our trials in losing and know we are not going to be made fun of or ridiculed is very comforting. Not to mention all the encouragement we get from others here, even just by reading their journals.

I set a goal for myself to reach 130; the ideal weight charts say 121-135. Depending on how I feel and look when I get to 130, I may decide to lose a little more.

My husband is very supportive, and has even joined this WOE with me. He is a diabetic and was on two oral meds and an insulin shot once a day. Last month the dr upped his insulin shot and told him to find an endocrinologist on our insurance plan. I had just started eating LC, and asked him to do it for one month and see if it made a difference before getting yet another doctor. He agreed, especially after I pointed out that his sugar free cookies were 15 grams each, and he was eating several at a time! He is losing weight, has stopped his insulin shot and one of his oral meds altogether, and his sugar levels are normal! In less than a month!

So this is a family thing for us, and in that respect I'm luckier than a lot of other people here. I don't have to cook my meals seperately from everyone else's. Thank goodness!

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself to this thread, and say hello. I look forward to getting to know each of you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 09:32

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

so nice to meet you! your story is so inspiring! welcome & good luck in your continued success
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 10:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hiya Crone! Welcome to the board!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 10:16
Contributing Member

Stats: 259/190/135 Female 5'5
BF:OMG Too Much
Progress: 56%

Greetings and Welcome

Congratulations on you loss already and the medical advantages experienced by your DH!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 17:56

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Hi Crone! Welcome to the TDC! Congrats on getting started. It won't be long before you'll really be thin. And what wonderful news for your DH. That really is great.

Good luck to you both!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 20:04
O2B PB Free!

BF:

Thank you all for the warm welcome!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 20:59

Stats: 296/258/136 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:Lots, definately
Progress: 24%

Welcome !! The TDC is a very comforting, yet still motivating place to be. Hope you find support, guidance, and wisdom here!

Best wishes,
~ Lori
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 21:03

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

Hi,

Welcome to the TDC. This is a great place to come, get support and learn more about the lc woe. Marty
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 22:51

Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

Welcome!

Great news about your DH! Looking forward to hearing more success stories from you.

Rocky
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 23:54
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

AWesome.
My hubby is also diabetic and so far only on 2 pills a day. I've always been heavier than him... by 20-30 pounds. He noticed the other day that I am less than 10 pounds from him. He says as soon as he has his new swingshifter trained, he will be joining me on this WOE. He also noticed the high carb count in his sugar free cookies that he was eating a whole pack at a time. He's cut those out and has been snacking on cheese and slices of meat and nuts instead. It's a step in the right direction.

Good luck to you both.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 04:09

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Welcome aboard Crone and I love your name! Congrats to hubby!

Orchid
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 05:22
O2B PB Free!

BF:

Thanks to all of you for the welcome!

Cheryl, I was almost angry when I started reading those carb counts on the stuff promoted for diabetics! Like your dh, mine was eating half a pack of those cookies (or more) at a time. And with 15 grams of carbs per cookie, it adds up fast!

The other one that got me was Glucerna. It's a weight loss shake advertised as being ideal for diabetics because it contains no sugar. One little can has 29 carbs, IIRC. Outrageous! Once I showed my hubby these things, he did like yours and started finding better snack and meal choices.

Orchidday, thanks for the compliment on my name!

Have a great day!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 05:28

Plan: Atkins/W.W.
Stats: 401/299/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 44%

Welcome crone!!!!!!!
I told almost the identical story regarding my dh...we've been doing this WOE for almost a year. His dr is amazed how it tamed his diabetes and refers many others to this WOL. My dh is so thankful that he found this WOE.
Look forward to getting to know you better!

tulips
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 06:49
Registered Member

Stats: 290/235/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%
Hello there Crone!

I too feel liberated here at TDC. With the exception of my mother, noone but you all know how much I weigh. I'm not sure why I'm so secretive about it but needless to say, I steer clear of that one! But here, you feel so at ease. I know that there isn't one struggle or triumph that someone here hasn't experienced and that is comforting. When someone loses, I can relate to the feeling of excitement, and when someone slips, I know how that feels as well...having lost and regained myself. This is my first time doing Atkins and I feel wonderful. I finally found a way of eating that works for me.

Glad your hubby is benifiting as well. I have a niece I'm trying to recruit but she is not ready to do any sort of diet. I know from experience you certainly can't force someone to make a change like this unless they are ready, right? Well, anyhoo...welcome and GOOD LUCK!!

jillinmo
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 22:24
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

Glucerna... has a bunch of carbs 29 per can? I have a co-worker that thinks she's doing a good thing by having one of those with breakfast and lunch everyday....
I don't think she reads lables on anything...... we've all tried to explain things but she doesn't get it sometimes.
She's been diabetic for years...at age about 42 she takes a couple of shots a day and 2 different pills for diabetes. She has neuropathy which is affecting her bladder control. 2 years ago she had her leg amputated. She doesn't seem to understand the way a diabetic should eat. She doesn't eat a lot at breakfast or lunch (Mon-thru-Fri) I eat those meals with her. For breakfast she always has a bisquet/hash browns/ eggs.
Lunch different everyday... but always includes lots of bread, she thinks that's ok because she stays away from potatos.

Anyway... we're all on the right track.