Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-05, 13:42

Plan: Low carb / high Protein
Stats: 290/238/215 Male 6ft 2inc
BF:18.92
Progress: 69%
Default Is this too many carbs ????

Hi I have been in maintaines now for a few months. I have just started again logging my food into fitday just to see were I am at with the carbs. Today it is lunch and I am at 100 grams. I had some spicy chicken fingers that had some bread crumbs on them. Other than that I had eggs and some cucumber with some blue cheese dressing. I am fairly active and try to go to the gym 3-4 times a week. I will be going tonight and I give it all I can. I am almost sick I work out so hard on cardio and weight training. For dinner I am going to have a couple hamburger patties so 100 grams is most likely going to be all the carbs I am going to eat.

Is this an ok amount for a guy 29 years old and 230 pounds that is fairly active????

(I do now we are all different but if 100-200 grams of carbs are good for a lot of people then it will put my mind at ease a little.)

Most days I am around 23-30 grams
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-05, 14:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

If your body handles the carb level okay, then don't worry about it -- if you put on a couple of pounds, back off immediately and watch your carb count a bit more carefully.

I have a "theory" that, as our insulin response gets more and more impaired, we need to cut back ever further on carbs. So if your insulin response is still fairly "normal" then you could eat more carbs than someone with a worse response -- and as a male, young, and active, you can likely handle more carbs than many of us....
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-05, 17:24
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmasters
Hi I have been in maintaines now for a few months. I have just started again logging my food into fitday just to see were I am at with the carbs. Today it is lunch and I am at 100 grams. I had some spicy chicken fingers that had some bread crumbs on them. Other than that I had eggs and some cucumber with some blue cheese dressing. I am fairly active and try to go to the gym 3-4 times a week. I will be going tonight and I give it all I can. I am almost sick I work out so hard on cardio and weight training. For dinner I am going to have a couple hamburger patties so 100 grams is most likely going to be all the carbs I am going to eat.

Is this an ok amount for a guy 29 years old and 230 pounds that is fairly active????

(I do now we are all different but if 100-200 grams of carbs are good for a lot of people then it will put my mind at ease a little.)

Most days I am around 23-30 grams

In my opinion carb grams are far less important than percentage of energy consumed from carbohydrate... assuming, of course, the diet is not hypocaloric.

What percentage of your energy needs is 400 calories of sugar? Because, for me, that would be like over 25% carbs, which is too high for a regular basis eating. If you are eating more like 2500 cals, then 400 cals of carb is more like 16% carb, which is actually lower than I eat on average. So raw gram numbers aren't as important as how much that carb energy means to you.

Also, that you are so high carb and it's only lunch... implies to me some less than stellar choices were made. You are no longer trying to lose weight, so it's fine to eat higher carb once in awhile (in fact, it's how you're supposed to maintain). But if you want to know if those kinds of choices are too high for regular choices every meal then I would say it's probably a safe bet it is.

I look at it like this. If you are eating radically different in maintenance than you were losing weight, the odds are good that you might be eating improperly to maintain your loss. If you are still eating very similar to your weight loss diet with only slight modifications (in quantities and rules and stuff), then you don't need to worry.

Try not to sweat maintenance. It's really a lot easier than it feels at first. It's basically exactly like the other phases, only a bit less strict, less absolutes, more choices. It sounds like you're trying to make it really different, and this is why you're having trouble. I made that mistake too. I tried to eat higher carb lower fat, regretted that right quick and went back. Everything is great now .
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-05, 08:56

Plan: Low carb / high Protein
Stats: 290/238/215 Male 6ft 2inc
BF:18.92
Progress: 69%

Thanks for all the great advice.