Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-09, 22:54

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 155/125/125 Female 62 inches
BF:21
Progress: 100%
Question Anyone else feel guilty at first?

Maybe it's because I didn't have much to lose (30 pounds) and I didn't spend long enough on OWL, but I just can't seem to shake feelings of guilt when I eat something that was a no-no while I was doing Induction and OWL.

Today, I took my daughters to Chick-fil-a for lunch, and I didn't get anything, because nothing sounded good. My daughters ate their lunch and went to play, and I sat there reading a book, and everything was good. Until I packed up to leave. My youngest left 2 chicken nuggets, and since I hadn't had anything else, I munched them down.

This was a conscious decision. I told myself, I can eat a tiny bit of breading and it's not going to kill me. And it's not. I no longer have to worry about knocking myself out of ketosis. I've lost everything I want to lose. It *is* ok to have a tiny bit of breading now. So why have I been bothered by feelings of guilt ALL DAY LONG over two stinkin' chicken nuggets?!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-09, 23:04
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

...and just maybe your attitude is the reason you're now at 124.

I've been thinking that I've been trying real hard.

Um...perhaps not nearly?

XO
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-09, 09:22

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevaboo
So why have I been bothered by feelings of guilt ALL DAY LONG over two stinkin' chicken nuggets?!
Welcome to the world of mindful eating The guilt you felt is very likely be due to being subconciously aware that that sort of behaviour, i.e., eating what the children leave on their plates, leads to the slippery slope. In other words, it's fine to do something like that now and again, but you can't do it on a regular basis if you want to maintain your weight loss.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-09, 21:36

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

I second Demi. I'm well-suited to the LC WOE, but it still takes discipline to avoid that "first compulsive bite," as my 12-step program calls it. I will look longingly at the slices of homemade pizza my wife makes, and then I'll think, "each slice is a step down the ladder to hell." It really is that serious for me.

I feel bad enough when I binge on high-fat foods (1/3 lbs of mixed nuts and 5 oz of cheese in one night — no lasting physical effects), I can only imagine the crush of guilt and self-loathing I'd heap on myself for eating carbage.

And yes, I'm a PITA to invite for dinner.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-09, 07:11

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

My two-cents worth: the guilt is part of the larger problem we pretty much ALL have of assigning good/bad values to foods. It's fuel, people - fuel that makes us run like Ferrari's or fuel that gunks up our systems. No moral value to it. We all KNOW that "intellectually" but most of us have been programmed from childhood to assign moral values to food.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-09, 09:44

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

I know that to keep myself on the straight and narrow low carbing, I intentionally look at certain foods as good and evil. It's a mental mechanism to keep me away from thinking "just one bite won't hurt".
Right now, I'm avoiding all grains like the plague (eventhough my own diet allows them as long as it's within the 10g carb/meal rule).
I'm avoiding all dairy that has more lactose than cream cheese - but now that's because I now have an intolerance...so it really IS evil to my tummy!
Sugar, of course, is pure evil.

Keeping this perspective helps keep me on track.
But I do know that I REFUSE to villify fruits and vegetables (although, for some reason, I still think bananas are the fruit of the devil!). And I don't consider potatoes real vegetables. :-)

I know that once I'm on maintenance, I will want to and probably should eat more fruits and vegetables...so I'm working NOW to make sure I don't create that impervious mental block for myself.

I think it's simply a self-protective mental mechanism you've developed, and you need to come to grips with whether or not you need to keep that mechanism in place now that you're in maintenance. Some of us may have to keep some of those mental mechanisms in place for the rest of our lives to make sure we don't go back down the slippery slope. Others may have a more healthy attitude regarding foods and temperance with certain types.