Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 08:32

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default The bottom line on maintenance

In a previous thread, I spoke of revisiting several editions of Dr. Atkins. It appears that many caveats, complications, and even certain myths have grown up around the "original diet revolution" explained by Dr. A in 1972. Some of it is good (the concept of subtracting fiber from total carbs) and some not so good (sugar alcohols and the "all you can eat/calories don't count" impression).

Here are my three big takeaways from the earliest edition:
1--"....when it comes to changing your eating habits...it's vital to realize with crystal clearness the role that you and your values play....No diet can make you lose weight."
2--"A moderate reduction of carbohydrate intake doesn't mean much...A lowish carbohydrate count doesn't change your chemistry....What do I mean by 'drastically reduced?' I mean an intake of well below forty grams of carbohydrates per day. And that's the upper limit. That's where most of you will end your diet and start maintenance." [bold face mine]
3--"...my experience with thousands of...patients...is that the majority find their Critical Carbohydrate Level to be 40 grams daily. When they take in more than that, they get hungry--and then gain.

Well, now. Forty grams? That's not a lot, is it? The majority of us? That would probably include me. I'm probably not done reconciling my brain to the fact that I'll have to be a low-carb nazi for the rest of my life, as far as my own nutritional choices. But it does help to know that low-carb works very well for me as a livable weight management tool. Nothing else like it.

So...thanks, Dr. Atkins, for describing a new pathway. Even though it really isn't as easy as the hype would have us believe.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 10:17
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Wow, that's interesting. I definitely fall into that category, too. Practically all of my food is technically "induction" food, and I feel best when I stay under 40 g or so. I thought I was odd for having such a low tolerance, but I wonder if that shoe fits a lot of other maintainers, too, and their extra carbs are being made up for with exercise, fewer calories, or maybe a bit of hunger. Not that there's anything wrong with that... the "facts" about your body are quite subjective and can be interpreted in different ways.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 15:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/138/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Very, very good to know. I'm searching for my CCLM now, and this'll save me some heartache!

Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 17:26

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I've been maintaining for a long time...and a quick check of my Fitday tells me that I average 41 carbs/day. Certainly some days are 80 (gotta eat pizza sometime!), but some are 20. It all evens out in the end.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 18:35
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

I think I already have in my mind that 40g will probably be plenty.

In one of his books, he says to find the carb level that you feel best on without cravings, and not look simply for the most carbs you can eat without gaining. That's something I need to remember!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 18:36

Plan: Weight Loss Study
Stats: 203/134.2/130 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 94%

Interesting. Just for one data point, my study leaders have told us that most people end up in the 40 - 80 carbs/day range, but that is TOTAL carbs, not net.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 06:01

BF:

Thanks, Tonya. Interesting that your study leaders have that info for low-carbing.

It helps me to have a number to peg my expectations to.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 06:30

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I just posted this in another thread here, but I'm actually averaging 55 TOTAL carbs and then around 40 NET carbs daily. And then I supplement my fiber intake and also use magnesium supplements -- I had a "sluggish" colon even prior to LC.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 07:47
Living LC 4 Life

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 190/133.2/150 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Less Than B4 LC
Progress: 142%

Barb, this is very interesting and I'm glad you posted it. Never having read the 1972 edition of Dr A's book, it's neat to see mention of the 40g of carbs daily as the threshold for most.

I may start keeping track of my total carbs, just to see where I am now. I only keep a mental count now (low-carb seems second-nature to me) but I think it'd be interesting to see where I am. If I were a betting woman, I'd guess I'm around 40-50 a day.

Leslie, soon-to-be owner of the 1972 edition of Dr A's book.....
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-15-07, 04:54
Registered Member

Plan: CLOSE TO 0 CARBS
Stats: 237/129/130 Female 5' 4'
BF:
Progress: 101%

I have only been in maintainence a short time, but it does appear that 40 grams of carb will be my target also.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-15-07, 07:46

BF:

Thanks, Tana, for bumping this thread, which I had forgotten about.

I'm pretty sure the 40 carbs in the original Atkins DR were total carbs, not net. So, total carbs--if I get my fiber right--could run as high as 65.

Right now, I'm returning to my Fitday diary for a maintenance check-up. The Weight Creep has been my worst enemy, and I can't afford to give the little sneak an edge.