Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 10:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 92/112/120 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Maintenance And Exercise

How many of the pre maintenance and maintenance people are exercising?

Can i get some suggestions or what you guys do regarding exercise?

does anyone NOT exercise and still maintain?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 10:42

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Hi Mallory, I'm a 47 year old mom of 3, grandma of 2 and right now I walk for about 40 minutes everyday, ride a stationary bike for 40 minutes for 5-6 days a week and do 11 minutes on my elliptical 5-6 days a week. I think I will probably get back into deep water aerobics this fall, just for a change. Pilates are pretty fun too, so I'm considering that....
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 13:48
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Hi Mallory,

I'm 42 and mother of 3 young kids.

Right now I exercise an hour a day, 5 times per week.

I walk for 30 minutes each day, or do indoor DVD walking, if weather is bad. Then I do about 20 minutes of either upper body (MWF) or lower body (T,TH) resistance, then about 10 minutes of stretching.

Since I haven't really lost any weight since I started doing that (at least I haven't maintained the loss I saw from it), I'm thinking of going back to 30 minutes per day, 5 times per week. When I do that, it's upper and lower body weights MWF and walking T,TH.

I plan to keep exercising no matter what. It has made me stronger and more defined, and I don't want to lose that...getting older, ya know!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 17:37

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I started working out when I was at about 165 lbs and I've been hooked ever since.

Right now I have a crazy-busy schedule so I go to the gym 3 or 4 days/week for about an hour each time. I run on the treadmill or walk at a steep incline for 30-35 minutes. Then I get down on the floor and do a LOT of abs work. Some weights for upper body -- not much because I can truly bulk up and I don't like to lose my girlie look. Then stretch a bit.

Two a.m.'s when I don't go to the gym, I do yoga at home for approx 30-40 minutes.

Even though time is short, the destressing is so vital that I just have to make time for it.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 17:44
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I regularly go on and off the exercise wagon. When I'm 'off', I'm still fairly active. I like gardening, I don't have a car, and I have a German Shepherd. That's my baseline fitness program right there.

Right now, I'm on the ball. I've been resistance training at least twice a week, plus cycling, yoga, and jumping on the rebounder. I really like mixing it up, to avoid boredom and too much adaptation.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 17:52

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

I maintain without much exercise I am afraid to say. I know how good it is for you, and I often times will go for several weeks of regular activity before completely blowing it off...
I am very jealous of the willpower some of you have to keep yourself active whether that be in or out of the gym.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 04:56
Sugar Free & Sober!

Plan: Atkins/maintenance
Stats: 186/155/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I'm another one that is an off and on exerciser. I was doing good at one point during my weight loss then stopped. Picked it up again to help me reach my goal then, again, since I have came back from vacation, nothing.
I am a fairly active person. I know that the exercise (mainly walking and pilates) made me feel much better physically and emotionally about myself.
I need to start it up again........
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 23:21

Plan: Weight Loss Study
Stats: 203/134.2/130 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 94%

I ride my bike to work every day (4 mi each way), run 3-4 times a week and strength train twice a week.

I see exercise as a benefit of my new, lighter self. I *can* run and bike and walk more, so I do. This week won't see much exercise due to work schedule, but I still try to be active - like taking a walk at lunch instead of sitting at my desk eating.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 14:56
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

I walk 4-6 hr/week and lift weights 2xweek for about 15 minutes earch time.

The research on maintaining weight loss is very clear: regular exercise is an important factor. The National Weight Loss Registry keeps seeing this in their data.
HTH
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 16:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/150/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 20%

I've been on some sort of maintenance program for about a month. I know that cardio is supposed to be healthy for you, but I do strict resistance training. I use the ballet bar thing you can find on infomericals in the middle of the night. For anyone who cares, this thing is AMAZING. I'm down to a 27 inch waist, have no flab under my arms, and my legs are TOUGH...not just toned but TOUGH. This isn't me bragging - I'm just saying that the diet got the weight off, but the exercise regiem (30 minutes 3-4 times a week in my home) put the body back in sleeveless tops!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-07, 13:28

Plan: My own way
Stats: 184/129.5/129 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 99%

During the cooler months, I walk for an hour 5 days a week. During the hot months, I do a run on my treadmill for 20 minutes 3 days a week and do some pool time as well.