Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 08:59

Plan: Self-made/Atkins-ish
Stats: 205/189/132 Female 173
BF:
Progress:

Broomangle: Thank you very much! I've read through the plans now. It's very similar to Dr.Lindberg's philosophy, except he doesn't have the "phases". I'm still just curious as what the purpose is, if not to cut the sugar cravings one gets from fruit.. Do you know if people tend to do phase 1 for a longer period of time if they stall at phase 2?

And how long time would you recommend I use to gradually incorporate the fruit? Should I go about a week with 1 a day, and then start with 2 a day next week, or wait even longer?

Size 22 to 12 in 4 months is unbelievable! I'm really impressed, and inevitably motivated, hah. Congratulations!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 09:04

Plan: Self-made/Atkins-ish
Stats: 205/189/132 Female 173
BF:
Progress:

Also, since you're not counting cals or carbs, how are the rules on bag-gravies? It does contain some sugar. I cook alot of Asian food, mostly pretty organic, using coconut milk and various types of curry and spices, but I would like som variation. The most common types are bags of 120 grams (2-3 portions), which tends to contain around 20-30 carbs and around 100 kcl or less pr gram. Refering to "sweet chilli, chop suey" and such
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 09:32
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 238/161/165 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 105%

What is bag-gravies? Whatever it is read the list of the ingredients. If there is sugar, molasses, corn syrup, honey or any form of starches in it do not use it. when you get the book you will see that it is not recommended to stay on the first phase for longer than 2 weeks.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 09:38
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morana
+ different SB websites have different food lists.. Some says bananas is allowed, some say it's not, etc.

These are the food lists from the latest SBD book.
Bananas are a limited phase II food, very limited.

I'm sorry if I don't have the time to go through all this with you in detail. I run my own business and thats why reading the book will help you.
Broomangel was very nice to bring you all that info...thanks!!

I'm way older than your mom and I have finally figured this whole thing out....so try to listen to what we are telling you here. I lost and regained for over 40 yrs....now I have learned how to maintain my losses.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 11:30
Think Pink

Plan: ♥Calorie Counting
Stats: 265/195/175 Female 5' 10"
BF: a few
Progress: 78%

Just want to mention the fruits included on South Beach are low glycemic selections - so as not to cause as much of a spike in blood sugar....therefore not leading to "cravings" or hunger.

I'd say if you're confused --- just use this list...all I can tell you is it does work. You can pick up the South Beach book too real cheap on e-bay or Amazon I'm sure.

Good luck. Oh and as far as "counting" calories - you don't have to....BUT that's not a ticket to eat large quantities. You just don't need to count. I promise you if you work it properly - it will work. I'm living proof! (and so are many others).

PS: I went from years on Atkins to South Beach and I was a bit scared of those carbs and cutting back the fat....honestly - this plan is so effective and so liveable. I don't think I'd ever do Atkins again (not that I don't think it's great - I lost a ton of weight on it).

Last edited by gmmd : Thu, Sep-16-10 at 13:00.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 11:54
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morana
Also, since you're not counting cals or carbs, how are the rules on bag-gravies? It does contain some sugar. I cook alot of Asian food, mostly pretty organic, using coconut milk and various types of curry and spices, but I would like som variation. The most common types are bags of 120 grams (2-3 portions), which tends to contain around 20-30 carbs and around 100 kcl or less pr gram. Refering to "sweet chilli, chop suey" and such

You will need to find packaged foods/gravies that contain no added sugars. Or make your own gravies or sauces.

Thanks Gayle!!