Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 12:40

Plan: PP
Stats: 170/140/130
BF:
Progress: 75%
Question Pentabasol

Anyone out there taking Pentabasol along with the PP? I just started it and my husband who is a bodybuilder wants to take it too. Will it inhibit muscle growth though? Help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 17:44
Golden Greek Girl

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 207/200/185 Female 5'8
BF:?????
Progress: 32%

I just read through 4 articles on the subject and it actually didn't mention that. It just stated more or less that they want people to take it for weight loss and as a metobolic booster, also as a fat burner. On their web site they have an email address you may want to email them before hand.

Here is the email address if you would like to ask them:
pentabo1~mail.silcom.com

This is what it states if he is already in good shape:
But to enhance performance—if you’re really in shape and not overly fat—you may need to actually eat a fair amount more good quality (healthy) fat than most of us. Fat has become your primary fuel source for energy while exercising and if your body fat isn’t elevated, you may find that you "run out of gas" on this product. Just remember that on a low carbohydrate diet, the "gas" you’re running on is dietary fat and body fat. With that in mind, you’ll want to follow the lead of the triathlete training camps and fat load before endurance events—guacamole, olives, cheeses, meats. You may even want to eat some fat during the event. A good source, easily portable for the athlete, is macadamia nuts, a source with plenty of fat calories to sustain you, and not many carbs to get in the way of effective fat burning. That way, you can get a boost from Pentabosol.

Hope this helps.

Amber
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 20:55

BF:

Hi Amber,
Thanks for the info. I looked and hadn't found the e-address. I'll write to make sure. I've on ly been taking the product a few days and I definately feel it doing something! I'll keep you updated if you would like...........have a good one D
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 12:43
Golden Greek Girl

Default email address

The email address is above. I posted it on the last post. I am very interested in this product. I was on a pound stall, but still lost 11 inches during that time. I work out with weights too, so I guess I gained my muscle back and lost some fat. My clothes fit alot better thats all I know. Please, by all means keep me informed. You can either post it here or visit my journal. Either way I'll get it. Good luck, I am interested after all the reading I did on the product. I didn't really go through the side effects. You might want to check that part out. Have a great day!

#5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 14:13

BF:

Anyone out there have an opinion on 'maltitol'? I just noticed that the protien bars that we sometimes eat contain this ingredient. I have recently heard that this can give some people an upset stomach and gas. it does not seem to have that effect on either of us.

Amber, I am a firm (hope to be soon!) believer in going by the way my clothes fit and not what the scale says. Even though I knew that muscle weighs more than fat, I used to have a real problem with the numbers game...now I just don't pay attention to them. And not only does muscle weigh more, but lifting weights and building muscle will actually increase the fat burning process even when you're just sitting around! It doesn't get better than that.

Off to a football game...have a great day
Dory
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 14:29

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Dorydoo
Anyone out there have an opinion on 'maltitol'?
Dory

There's an article on Sugar Alcohols under 'Low Carb Tips' (Across the top of every page in orange highlight) that should answer a few of your questions. If you try a search on this forum for "Sugar Alcohols" you should find a good hundred or so past discussions on the topic. The long and short of it is, YMMV and if there is a suggested serving size on the label adhere to it - the consequences of eating too much can be unpleasant in a running to the bathroom kinda way

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 14:09

BF:
Thumbs up Pentabosol and Maltital

Hi Abmer and Nat,
Just thought I would let you (and anyone else interested) know that the Pent. RN wrote back today and said there would be no affects on the building of lean muscle mass. Yeah!
Also I just finished reading the article on sugar substitutes...it was awesome. Very informative, I love this website, it is proving to be a well of information and host of helpful and encouraging people.
Thanks again,
Dory
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 17:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/154/140
BF:
Progress: 30%

So what kind of results are you getting from Pentabosol (energy, hunger, weight loose)?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 17:56
Golden Greek Girl

Default Just checking in

It has been about 10 days since I last spoke with you. How have you been? Does your pentabosol work? How is it for you? and how is it for your BF? I know you were both aiming for different things. I was curious after reading about the product how it was working for you? I noticed you have not posted since you had the 4 pound weight loss. I hope everything is ok. Write or pm me to let me know. Thanks and have a good day.

#10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 22:34

BF:
Thumbs up Catchin' up

Hi Julianna & Amber,
Sorry I didn't get right back to you. I got on line last night and my 18 mo. old daughter woke up right as I started to reply. It was not a good night. We actually had to go for a drive and didn't come home until 1:30 am! 5:45 sure came early this morning!

I've only been taking the Pent. for about 10 days now, so I can't tell too much of a diff. It doesn't give me energy, but I don't think there are actually any stimulants in it to do that. I have noticed that I've been feeling chilly alot lately, I don't know if that's from the weather change or the Pent. If it is from the Pent. that would make sense, since it is supposed to be making your body burn off it's stored energy(fat), and to get your body temp back up actually makes you burn calories. Another thing that makes me feel like it is working is that the directions tell you not to eat for at least 30 minutes after taking it to allow it to get in your system, and if I don't eat within an hour my stomach will start growling like crazy!
Unfortunately I can't report actual poundage lost, because I don't weigh. I'm one of those crazy people who go by the fit of the clothes. When I was in high school I had a little self-perception problem, went to a fat Dr. (at 107lbs. and I'm 5'6"), took the pills, shot in the rear and all.....needless to say it led to an eating problem etc. So ever since I got my head on straight I don't get on a scale! Even though I know what I'm doing (LC'ing) is right for me and healthy, I'm afraid if I actually saw the numbers I would freak! So I just don't do it, my numbers on this site are just a guess. All I know is since I started LC'ing, not quite a month ago, I have dropped 2 sizes in jeans . That's the good news, the rest of the story is that I still have 2 or 3 to go to make me happy!
I will definately keep you guys posted on the progress with the Pent. My husband is taking it and so is my sister now. So between the three of us we should be able to give it a fair review.
Gotta get off now, everyone else is in bed and I just realized I have to go out to the kitchen and mix up my Pent!
Good night,
Dory
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 20:08

Plan: Atkins-Protein Power
Stats: 147/140/125
BF:
Talking

I have been taking Pentabasol for a little over a week and it really works! It has suppressed my appetite with no side effects at all. It tastes like lemonade so I have no problem drinking it. I have lost about 4 pounds this week. I am very pleased!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 23:37

BF:

I just recently finished my supply of Pentabosol. I had one full can and the rest of my husband's can. He only took it for about a week and didn't like the way it affected his workouts, but he body builds and power lifts. I don't think it would affect just a normal work out. I think the stuff works! I also think it is important to do it in conjuction with the LC WOE. My sister took a full can and it didn't seem to have the same affect on her. We take the same supplements, but I eat a much lower carb diet than she does. I have laid completely off pop for instance and she drinks at least one diet a day (24oz). I went down 4 sizes in 2 months and she has only lost one size. LC'ing is the way to go and that's all there is to it!!!!!!!
For anyone out there that wants to try the Pentabosol it gets a thumbs up from me, but remember...if you're going to spend that kind of money on a product do all you can to make it work!
Dory
P.S. My results are without working out, except for trying to keep up with a 12 yr. old son and a 20 mo. old daughter!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 15:04

Plan: I'm looking around
Stats: 225/243/160
BF:
Progress: -28%
Default pentabasol

I'd like to know if you can get this at a vitamin store or maybe gmc?
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 20:36

Plan: Petabasp;
Stats: 291/291/175
BF:?
Progress: 0%
Question Pentabasol

Hi, I am new to this forum. I just ordered the Pentabasol and am expecting in a couple of days. Any information you can tell me, good and bad would be great. I am 5'7" and weigh 291 lbs. I also am doing water aerobics 3x a week. Hope to hear from you all. Thanks, cedarose