Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-31-09, 05:26

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Vitamin D: How to Determine Your Optimal Dose

Quote:
Vitamin D: How to Determine Your Optimal Dose

by David Rostollan

(NaturalNews) In the wide world of supplements, vitamin D is the superstar. For the last few years, this humble nutrient has been featured prominently in allopathic and alternative circles alike. It has basked in the rays of media publicity, and has survived an onslaught of scientific scrutiny. And while such widespread publicity is often good cause for skepticism in the realm of health and medicine, vitamin D appears to be the real deal. Whether we`re talking about heart disease, cancer, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, or Alzheimer`s disease, the "sunshine vitamin" delivers benefits unseen before our time (1).

Given the remarkably powerful benefits of vitamin D, many find themselves wondering how to actually go about obtaining it. We know that vitamin D is good for us, but how much do we need, and where do we get it? Most people know that sunlight is somehow involved in vitamin D production, but is sunlight alone sufficient to produce the incredible results demonstrated by recent vitamin D research? What about supplements? There are so many different preparations - with doses ranging from 400 IU to 50,000 IU - that it can get a little confusing. Are such supplements necessary, and if so, how much should we be taking?

Everyone is Different

One might suppose that this question is as easily answered as saying, "Everyone needs to spend 15 minutes in the sun every day." Or, "Everyone needs to take x amount of vitamin D per day." But it`s not like that. Not at all. There are a multitude of variables unique to you that determine how much vitamin D is required on a daily basis (2). And because there are so many individual variables, it really is impossible to recommend a single amount for everyone. Fortunately, however, there are many circumstantial clues to look for that will suggest whether you need to be paying better attention to your vitamin D status. Furthermore, personally optimizing your vitamin D level is fairly easy and inexpensive.

Are you at risk for vitamin D deficiency?

-How much sun exposure do you get every day?
-Where do you live? Above or below the 35 N latitude line? (3)
-What is your age? Over 40?
-Is your skin light, dark, very dark?
-Are you overweight?
-Do you have a chronic illness?

How do each of these factors affect vitamin D status?

Sun Exposure: Catching some rays each day is definitely desirable, and healthy young people can usually get the vitamin D they need from around 10 to 30 minutes of sun exposure per day - depending on their location and the time of year. Most adults in today`s modern world, however, do not even attempt to get this much sun exposure - much less achieve it. But even if they did, would it matter, or are there other variables standing in the way?

Location: Vitamin D is produced in the skin from a cholesterol derivative when we are exposed to UVB radiation from the sun. However, because of the axial tilt of the earth, the further north one lives, the less the sun`s UVB rays will be able to activate vitamin D in the skin. So sun exposure does not necessarily equal optimal vitamin D status if you`re living in the wrong location. Living down south is better, of course (south of the 35 N latitude line seems to be the best), but there is still more to consider.

Age: Say you do live close to the equator, or are significantly below the 35 N latitude line. That`s a good thing, and it probably helps. If you`re around 35-40 years old or above, however, you`re likely losing the ability to activate sufficient levels of vitamin D in your skin, even in the unlikely event that you`re getting adequate UVB sun exposure (4).

Dark Skin: What if you have dark skin? If you have a lot of pigment in your skin, this is going to shield you from the UVB radiation you need, and you`re probably deficient in vitamin D.

Weight: Vitamin D requirements are also relative to body weight. If you`re overweight, your body requires more vitamin D than if you are not overweight. If you get a lot of sun, but are on the heavy side, you`re probably still not getting enough vitamin D.

Chronic Illness: Chronically ill? Have cancer? The body demands more vitamin D when you`re sick, and is probably using it up faster than you can get it from the sun.

When one considers that many Americans are victims of not just one but many of the above drawbacks, it becomes readily obvious as to why there is such a widespread vitamin D deficiency epidemic. Not getting enough sun is bad enough, but lack of sun exposure combined with being middle-aged, overweight, and chronically ill is an absolute disaster - and it is the devastating situation that many (most?) Americans find themselves in today.

Is Sun Exposure Really Not Enough?

Yes, sun exposure is a good thing, but too often, it`s simply not sufficient to achieve the kind of levels necessary for disease prevention and treatment. This applies even in places like Hawaii, where individuals get plenty of sun exposure, and the latitude is around 21 (5, 6). The role of sunlight should not be downplayed too much, however. If you`re healthy, young, and live in a subtropical region, then you might have sufficient vitamin D levels. In fact, some young people in the subtropics who get sun exposure all day long have levels between 80-100 ng/ml. This is incredible, and it means that sun exposure really does work provided the conditions are right.*

The point being made in this article is simply that not everyone is young, not everyone is healthy, not everyone lives in Houston, and not everyone gets enough sun exposure every day. It is those people who need to supplement with vitamin D. This also happens to be most people.

Blood Testing is Crucial

How do you know if you`re getting enough vitamin D, and how much is enough? The only way to know is by testing your blood. Fortunately, testing vitamin D, as far as blood testing goes, is pretty cheap. You can set this up with your doctor, order tests online and get blood drawn at a local lab, or order a vitamin D home test kit, whereby you simply order the test, prick your finger, send in the blood, and wait for the results to come back to you.

Here are some basic guidelines:

-Make sure you are getting the right test. You must test for 25(OH)D, not 1,25(OH)D. They look similar, but 1,25(OH)D is a measure of kidney function, and is not the test you want for measuring vitamin D levels.

-Ideally, your blood level should be around 60-80 ng/ml, as this allows the body to have some vitamin D in reserve, and it duplicates the higher levels found in young, healthy individuals who spend a decent amount of time in a sun-rich environment.

-Begin taking vitamin D at least eight weeks prior to being tested. This will help you customize your dose once you receive your test results. To determine a basic, starting dose, it has been suggested, as per Dr. John Cannell of the Vitamin D Council (7), that you take 1,000 IU per 25 pounds of body weight. A person who weighs 150 pounds, for instance, would take 6,000 IU per day as a starting dose (150/25 = 6. 1,000 x 6 = 6,000). Do this for at least eight weeks, and then test. Perhaps this dose will put you in the ideal range, but there`s no guarantee since we are all so different, and have unique vitamin D receptor genotypes. The idea is to hopefully get somewhere in the ballpark with this method and then tweak your daily dose once the test results come back. If your results are still suboptimal, Dr. Cannell has estimated that each 1,000 IU increase in supplemental vitamin D will generally produce a 10 ng/ml increase in the vitamin D blood level (8). For example, if you have been taking 5,000 IU per day for 8+ weeks, and your results come back at 40 ng/ml, you would want to increase your dose to at least 7,000 IU (2,000 IU = ~20 ng/ml rise in blood level) to achieve a minimum of 60 ng/ml. Again, keep in mind that this is necessarily generalized, and additional blood testing every several months is recommended to further customize the dose appropriate to you.

What Kind of Supplements Should I Use?

In order to achieve consistent and predictable results, it is important to use the proper carrier form of vitamin D supplements. The absolute best form is an oil-based vitamin D preparation. Dry preparations, like tablets and capsules, should be avoided. Vitamin D is fat soluble, and needs to be taken with fat in order to be properly absorbed - hence the oil-based recommendation.

Oil-based versus dry preparations aside, there are two common types of vitamin D: Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) and Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol). You will need to avoid supplementing with vitamin D2 (9), which is a synthetic product made by exposing certain plants to ultraviolet radiation. D2 is not what the human body naturally uses, and compared to D3 it falls far short in terms of efficacy (of course, D2 happens to be what many vitamin D prescriptions are made of). D3 is what your body uses and prefers. No prescription necessary.

You can buy D3 in oil-based softgels, or, if you don`t like taking pills or have trouble doing so, you can get it in liquid drops.**

Summary

Vitamin D status is important year around, but whenever fall and winter are upon us, the importance of evaluating this vital nutrient is even more urgent. In summary, here are the steps you should take if you are wanting to optimize your vitamin D level:

1) Start taking oil-based vitamin D3 according to your body weight, as explained above.

2) After at least 8 weeks, have your blood tested by a good lab. There are home finger-prick test kits that are also very good.

3) Remembering that the goal should be blood levels of 60-80 ng/ml of 25(OH)D, adjust your vitamin D3 dose to achieve this level. Each 1,000 IU increase will generally lead to a 10 ng/ml increase in blood levels.

4) Recheck blood levels every several months to make sure you are still in the optimal range and taking the proper dose.

*It is beyond ironic that for quite some time now, everyone has been encouraged by the "authorities" to avoid the sun in order to keep from getting cancer, yet it is that very sun exposure that would help in avoiding cancer in the first place! "Avoid midday sun, or you`ll get melanoma!" we`re told. But melanoma is mostly triggered by UVA rays from the sun - not UVB. When is cancer-causing UVA exposure the lowest? Right around midday. When is UVB exposure the highest? Also right around midday. A high UVB:UVA ratio (high UVB and low UVA) is the best for creating vitamin D in the body, and this occurs when the sun is highest in the sky - exactly the time (ironically) that is often suggested to be avoided.

**Supplementation is not recommended for everyone. Certain conditions, such as sarcoidosis and some lymphomas, can produce excessive amounts of vitamin D, and in these instances, one should move forward cautiously under the supervision of a healthcare professional.

References

(1) (PDF) http://www.grassrootshealth.net/med...

(2) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...

(3) http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long...

(4) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...

(5) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...

(6) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...

(7) http://www.vitamindcouncil.org

(8) http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/news...

(9) http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/ful...
http://www.naturalnews.com/027345_V...sure_blood.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-31-09, 07:03
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

As Demi has very reasonably put this excellent article here, to interest those who do not normally frequent the long running vitamin d thread, perhaps a few links to sources may be helpful for those new to the subject.

Cheapest 25(OH)D test source Grassrootshealth D Action by post $40 approx £24 bur remember the article author says After at least 8 weeks, have your blood tested If you are starting now in Winter then maybe retest in 3 months it's MORE to see if the amount you are using is sufficient, it's LESS LIKELY to check if you've overdone the D3.

Many of us have used the dry powder forms of D3 MOST SUCCESSFULLY. Dr Cannell has always recommended them and he would by now have discovered if they were sometimes less than ideal. I personally take mine with liquid fish oil so perhaps that helps. I suspect the trouble comes from the tablet form.

Vitamin D3 in oil based gel caps 5000iu $5 Discount Code ~~~~~~. Any of these are fine. There are also Carlsons fish oil D3. I'd avoid the soy oil forms. The MCT oil Country life, sound a good idea, but I've had no problem with the cheapest Now foods or Healthy origins. I'm not sure that the miniscule amount of carrier fish oil in the Carlson is worth the extra cost.

UK online source of Effective strength 2000iu vitamin D3 drops Not sure if they are worth that much but I know some UK people dislike buying from the USA

Calculator to work out time required for your skin/latitude/color/time of day etc remember this is for 1000iu only and we require an additional 5000~7000iu/daily. so either expose a lot more skin or extend the time.

Also he's chickened out of saying anything about UVB lamps. I'm for very limited use of them during the winter in addition to a basic 5000iu/daily D3 supplement. I feel happier knowing I am providing those skin cells that can metabolise D3 into calcidiol and calcitriol with the raw material they require regularly.

Anyone with concerns about safety should read this paper from Vieth.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-31-09, 21:44

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

I was looking at mine for Bio-Tech and the only ing is the D3 50,000 and inactive ing, Microcrystaline cellulose silica, gelatin.

I take it this is a dry power capsule.... whats is so bad about the Powder,..... another question, since its powder what kind of Fat to I take with it, a tbls of Olive oil?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-01-09, 04:32
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hismouse
I was looking at mine for Bio-Tech and the only ing is the D3 50,000 and inactive ing, Microcrystaline cellulose silica, gelatin.

I take it this is a dry power capsule.... whats is so bad about the Powder,..... another question, since its powder what kind of Fat to I take with it, a tbls of Olive oil?
I personally don't think there is a problem with taking the dry powder filled capsules. Certainly I know they work fine for me and I am also certain that if Dr Cannell had observed any failure using them with his patients he would have changed to the oil based capsules. The cost differential between oilbased capsules and dry powder filled capsules is so insignificant cost isn't the issue.

Dr Cannell also makes the point that he dissolved the contents of the dry powder capsules in drinks for his kids. There is absolutely no doubt that they will be fine for you whether you dissolve them in oil first or just take them as they are.

I take a couple of teaspoons of This concentrated fish oil daily. and if you took that with your Vitamin d3 you would know that there was a source of fat available.
mct oil may be a good alternative
But the important thing is to get the D3 into your body ASP and I really don't think you need to worry about the question of it being dissolved in oil or not. I suggest sliding the capsule apart and dissolving the fine white powder in a couple of teaspoons of MCT or Fish oil only as an option NOT as a requirement. I don't bother to dissolve it first I just normally take my vit D and fish oil before breakfast so I'm confident there is oil available to carry the D3 into my system.

There is only anecdotal evidence that oil based capsules are better. I suspect they are only superior to solid tablets.
I have not seen any evidence that the form supplied by Biotech Pharmacal has not proved entirely satisfactory. I've no financial interest in Biotech.
I keep a pack of 50,000iu in my cupboard and will use them for Stoss therapy should I get swine flu and I am absolutely confident that it will do the trick if and as required.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-01-09, 11:24

Thank you Mr. Hutchinson, I will take the D3 in a few min
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-09, 10:54

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:

I just chew up my vitamin D with my breakfast sausage/bacon.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-09, 05:52

Plan: My own
Stats: 290/250/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

With a summer of staying indoors and 500 units of "D" in a Centrum Silver multivitamin daily, my 25(OH)D came back 33.1. I am now taking a Carlson 2,000 unit D3 soft gel daily (sunflower oil) and have also started one Source Naturals Vitamin K2 tablet, which besides 100 mcg of Vitamin K2 (plus 30 mcg in the multi), also has 400 IU of Vitamin D3 and 200 mg of calcium (the multi has 220 mg of calcium). That puts my total Vitamin D supplementation at 2,900 units daily, only 2,400 of which I'm sure is D3.

There are several rules of thumb out there, one of which is that your 24(OH)D will go up 10 points for every 1,000 units of D3 supplementation. That should put me at mid to high 50s by the end of winter.

There's another ROT that says adults need 5,000 units a day, about twice what I'm taking now, and yet another ROT that says I need 1,000 units for every 25 of my 250 pounds, or 10,000 units daily. I have a feeling these are gross overkill in my case, but will see what my test results are at the end of winter.

I also take a 200 mg Carlson Chelated Magnesium daily, along with over 3 grams of DHA+EPA in fish oil, 100 mg of Ubiquinol, and 300 mg twice daily of Alpha Lipoic Acid. Over the years I've found it doesn't take much non-chelated mineral supplement to cause constipation. A tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil twice daily will also help with that.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-09, 08:19
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMoe
my 25(OH)D came back 33.1. I am now taking a Carlson 2,000 unit D3 soft gel daily (sunflower oil) and have also started one Source Naturals Vitamin K2 tablet, which besides 100 mcg of Vitamin K2 (plus 30 mcg in the multi), also has 400 IU of Vitamin D3 and 200 mg of calcium (the multi has 220 mg of calcium). That puts my total Vitamin D supplementation at 2,900 units daily, only 2,400 of which I'm sure is D3
I would suggest the cheaper forms that use MCT oil or olive oil would be preferable although the small amount of oil in a capsule is probably not worth worrying about.
Other readers note that MiniMoe is posting from Ohio Latitude 40ish. In his practice Dr Davis at latitude 42, not that much further north, finds 5000~6000iu generally required to raise to 60ng/ml.
Quote:
There are several rules of thumb out there, one of which is that your 24(OH)D will go up 10 points for every 1,000 units of D3 supplementation. That should put me at mid to high 50s by the end of winter.
But we know that people who are overweight are higher users of D3 because their fat cells emit pro inflammatory cytokines. Generally people who are overweight or have any other inflammatory condition require up to 2000iu to produce the same results.

Quote:
There's another ROT that says adults need 5,000 units a day, about twice what I'm taking now, and yet another ROT that says I need 1,000 units for every 25 of my 250 pounds, or 10,000 units daily. I have a feeling these are gross overkill in my case, but will see what my test results are at the end of winter.
You may be right. My view is that it is far safer to overshoot the target than to remain in the vulnerable zone. If you took 5000iu/daily, retested in February, and found you were in fact right and had reached 80ng/ml then it's no problem to reduce down 2000iu if you are uncomfortable with that highish level. 60~80ng are the levels our bodies would naturally attain and maintain if we lived naked.

I suspect that what evolution found to work best is probably ideal in the long run.

Quote:
I also take a 200 mg Carlson Chelated Magnesium daily, along with over 3 grams of DHA+EPA in fish oil, 100 mg of Ubiquinol, and 300 mg twice daily of Alpha Lipoic Acid. Over the years I've found it doesn't take much non-chelated mineral supplement to cause constipation. A tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil twice daily will also help with that.
Magnesium being hygroscopic attracts water. You need to take sufficient magnesium that your body has a surplus and doesn't absorb it all. You want to aim for some magnesium being left in the colon so perhaps increasing the magnesium ,by adding one extra magnesium tablet daily up to the point things are moving, would be better particularly if you drink LOTS of water. You can then, having corrected the magnesium deficiency situation, go back down with the magnesium to around 500mg daily.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-09, 17:26

I am taking 600 of the magnesium, and 450 of calcium, and have to say not much help in the constipation area.
I have found something strange. I take my am multi pk of Diabetes Vitamins, get hot I am sure from the Niacin in it and then get Nasuated, then take the Magnesium at lunch and it relaxs me and the Nasuea goes away.
I am sleeping so much better to, I take the Calcium and a Magnesium 250 pill at bedtime. I used to wake up 100 times a night, now I sleep hrs, last night it was 6 before I wake up...So it helps that to...
I am eating 1,000 or more of calcium, so I Think I am good there, can't get a answer on that question.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-09, 18:10
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
I am taking 600 of the magnesium, and 450 of calcium, and have to say not much help in the constipation area.
I have found something strange. I take my am multi pk of Diabetes Vitamins, get hot I am sure from the Niacin in it and then get Nasuated, then take the Magnesium at lunch and it relaxs me and the Nasuea goes away.
I am sleeping so much better to, I take the Calcium and a Magnesium 250 pill at bedtime. I used to wake up 100 times a night, now I sleep hrs, last night it was 6 before I wake up...So it helps that to...
I am eating 1,000 or more of calcium, so I Think I am good there, can't get a answer on that question.

As a woman,
If your bones are strong, you need 900-1200 mg/day
If your bones are soft, you need 1200-1500 mg/day
If you have osteoporosous, you need 1500-1800 mg/day.

You can get the calcium from diet or pills. Of course, that means adequate vitamin D3 and magnesium.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-09-09, 14:27

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

From The Heart Scan Blog:

Quote:
Monday, November 09, 2009

What is a healthy vitamin D blood level?

When measuring blood levels of vitamin D (as 25-hydroxy vitamin D), what constitutes a desirable level?

There's no study that directly examines this question, no study that enrolled thousands of people and assigned a placebo group and groups receiving escalating doses of vitamin D and/or achieved higher levels of vitamin D, then observed for development of cancer, diabetes, depression, heart disease, multiple sclerosis, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, etc. Such a study would requires many thousands of participants (particularly to observe cancer and multiple sclerosis incidence), many years of observation, and many tens of millions of dollars. Nope, only a drug company could afford such costs.

So we have to piece together various observations and extrapolate what we believe to be the ideal level of vitamin D. Epidemiologic observations in several cancers (breast, colon, prostate, and bladder) suggest that a 25-hydroxy vitamin D level of 30 ng/ml or higher is desirable (with less cancer incidence above this level). Other data suggest a level of 52 ng/ml or greater is desirable. Unfortunately, much cancer research looked at intake of vitamin D from food and supplement sources, rather than actual blood levels. We also have to factor in the great individual variation in vitamin D metabolism, with a single dose yielding variable blood levels (as much as a 10-fold difference). There's also the variation introduced by vitamin D-receptor variation (genetic polymorphisms).

A new study using vitamin D administration helps chart the desirable levels of vitamin D.

Vitamin D supplementation reduces insulin resistance in South Asian women living in New Zealand who are insulin resistant and vitamin D deficient - a randomised, placebo-controlled trial.

In this New Zealand study, 42 women (23 to 68 years old) were given 4000 units vitamin D, 39 women given placebo. Median 25-hydroxy vitamin D levels increased from 21 nmol/L (8.4 ng/ml) to 75 nmol/L (30 ng/ml). Both HOMA (a measure of insulin sensitivity) and fasting insulin levels improved, with greatest improvement seen at 25-hydroxy vitamin D levels of 80-119 nmol/L (32-47.6 ng/ml) or greater.

We also know that a vacation on a Caribbean beach in a bathing suit will increase vitamin D blood levels to the 80-110 ng/ml range without ill-effect (at least in young people who maintain the capacity to activate vitamin D in the skin, a phenomenon that declines as we age).

So do we really know the truly ideal level of vitamin D to achieve? I believe that, given the above observations, it is reasonable to extrapolate that the ideal vitamin D blood level likely lies somewhere above 50 ng/ml. We also know that vitamin D toxicity (i.e., hypercalcemia) is virtually unheard of until vitamin D blood levels approach 150 ng/ml, and even then is inconsistent. The health benefits of vitamin D supplementation are so tremendous, that I am not willing to wait for the prospective data to explore this question fully. For now, I aim for a blood level of vitamin D of 60-70 ng/ml (150-175 nmol/L).
http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2...lood-level.html
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-09, 05:05

Plan: lacto-ovo moderate carb
Stats: 163/147/141 Female 5 ft 5 "
BF:
Progress: 73%

Ok, I have a question ...

I am a firm believer in Vitamin D3, but am a little concerned about the high doses being recommended here. I do accept that the current RDA is ridiculously low, but the Vitamin D Council's recommendation of upto 10,000IU/day seems the other extreme to me. I may be wrong, though.

I have heard the argument about us evolving in equatorial region with very less clothes on etc ... and I do accept that. But not sure how confident we can be about 2 things :

1. Exactly how clothed we were. Blame it on the Discovery channel documentaries, but early man is always depicted as clad in a lot of animal skins etc. Even though thats lesser than what we wear today, its still far from being "naked".

2. Apart from the time spent out in full sunlight for active hunting/gathering, would it not be likely that we spent the rest of the time in shade, maybe inside caves or under foliage ?
Even the hunting gathering, was it always out in the open ? Gathering nuts/berries could have been done in the shade, hunting maybe not.

Having lived in a tropical climate most of my life, I know that being in the sun is something which even animals seem to want less of, after some time. Unless they have no choice, people/animals generally try getting in the shade or going indoors.

Also, humans moved to colder climates long before the diseases of civilization became rampant, right ? Once there, it seems to me they would have clothed themselves in lots of furs, skins etc to protect themselves from the cold. And moved into caves etc too. Again, how much vitamin D could they get from the sun then, summer or winter ?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-09, 06:33

Plan: My own
Stats: 290/250/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobha
I am a firm believer in Vitamin D3, but am a little concerned about the high doses being recommended here. I do accept that the current RDA is ridiculously low, but the Vitamin D Council's recommendation of upto 10,000IU/day seems the other extreme to me.

Despite having a friend who takes 15,000-20,000 units daily in the winter with no apparent ill effect, I share your concern--that's why I get my Vitamin D level tested. First test, with only the 400 IU in the multivitamin, it was 33 ng/ml. My doctor was happy with that, but I wasn't.

Since then, I've been taking a 100 mcg Vitamin K2 tablet (plus the 30 mcg of K in the multi) that adds another 500 IU of Vitamin D3 (and 200 mg of calcium plus the 220 mg in the multi), plus a 2,000 IU Vitamin D3 softgel. To balance these, I take a 200 mg chelated magnesium (glycine) tablet (plus the 50 mg in the multi).

I expect that much Vitamin D supplementation to get me in the high fifties. If that doesn't do it, I'll add more. To me, it doesn't matter what all the theories say or what the cave men did, just what my test results are. Good luck.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-09, 07:24
Registered Member

BF:

I think we have to start from more recent perspectives and consider the changes that have occurred more recently.

Vitamin D Levels Are Declining

In 1957 I was 13 and that for me marks my FIRST ever pair of long trousers.
Going from lower school to senior school and wearing LONG trousers was a mark of status back then, having to wear shorts to lower school EVERY DAY of the year was compulsory. I wonder now how much difference wearing shorts made to our vitamin D status back then, probably not as much as being obliged to play outdoors all day every day until bedtime when not at school, also contributed to higher status?

Consider also the invention of picture windows.
When did they become fashionable in the USA?
We know that UVB is needed to process cholesterol into Vitamin D3 but it is a complicated process and UVA is also involved in the creation of pre vitamin D and also in the processing of newly made vitamin D3 into the suprasterols that the body doesn't use.

Irrespective of how many clothes our ancient ancestors wore one thing is certain. They weren't able to sit indoors under glass basking only in UVA sunlight with no UVB content. Our DNA did not evolve to be only exposed to UVA.

The process by which we are protected from Vitamin D3 toxicity by the skin processing D3 near the surface of the skin, on into products the body doesn't use, evolved before the possibility of basking under glass, near a sunny window, or car windscreen in UVB deficient sunlight was a possibility.

Expose vitamin D3 to UVA and it degrades into suprasterols the body doesn't use.

I'm not sure when conservatories became fashionable in the average home but in the UK I guess from about 1980's onwards they have become increasingly common.

Similarly we did not, while humans were evolving, have a diet enriched with high fructose corn syrup. Now we know Dietary Fructose Inhibits Intestinal Calcium Absorption and Induces Vitamin D Insufficiency we may very well find that other recent additions to the human diet also induce vitamin D3 deficiency.

I'm sure you are also aware that many sunscreens work by moving UVB into the UVA spectrum and this as well as blocking UVB and preventing Vitamin D synthesis actually accelerates the depletion of any Vitamin D3 near the skin surface.

25-Hydroxyvitamin D(3) is an agonistic vitamin D receptor ligand.This new research demonstrates how higher circulating levels of 25(OH)D fight cancer.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Wed, Dec-23-09 at 04:13.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-09, 07:35
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMoe
Despite having a friend who takes 15,000-20,000 units daily in the winter with no apparent ill effect, I share your concern--that's why I get my Vitamin D level tested. First test, with only the 400 IU in the multivitamin, it was 33 ng/ml. My doctor was happy with that, but I wasn't.

Since then, I've been taking a 100 mcg Vitamin K2 tablet (plus the 30 mcg of K in the multi) that adds another 500 IU of Vitamin D3 (and 200 mg of calcium plus the 220 mg in the multi), plus a 2,000 IU Vitamin D3 softgel. To balance these, I take a 200 mg chelated magnesium (glycine) tablet (plus the 50 mg in the multi).

I expect that much Vitamin D supplementation to get me in the high fifties. If that doesn't do it, I'll add more. To me, it doesn't matter what all the theories say or what the cave men did, just what my test results are. Good luck.
What matters isn't the amount you take but the 25(OH)D level you maintain. The Latest research into 25(OH)D shows how Cacidiol is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than we thought possible. We has assumed it was a precusor to the real hormone 1.25 (calcitriol) but this new research demonstrates how calcdiol it works synergistically with calcitriol to help it achieve it's role more efficiently.
If you know anyone with cancer then you really must encourage them to take effective amounts of D3 to achieve higher levels than we previously regarded as necessary.

After six days of treatment, 100 nM 25OHD3 had no significant effect on
the growth of the prostate cells, but 500 nM of the compound resulted in approximately 60% inhibition of cellular growth.

500 nmol/l = 200ng/ml this was in a test tube not a person but you cannot expect 40ng/ml 100nmol/l to be effective against cancer.
90ng/ml the top of Mercola's range = 225nmol/l. He must either have the power of predicting the future or some good vitamin D research contacts who get to see the research before it's published.

Mercola

Last edited by Hutchinson : Wed, Dec-23-09 at 04:11.