Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 21:34
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 265/230/170
BF:
Progress: 37%

I have to put my 2 cents in, i am on atkins lost 20 lbs, then was STUCK for 4 months,did everything right no lbs, couple inches then 2 months ago i stared to Carb up on saturdays and Sundays(thanks to dan )go back to atkins on Monday i was also taking Xenedrine RFA and to date i have lost a total of 17lbs while carbing up and taking Xenedrine, so folks it do work for some people
give it a try if u don"t like chuck it

i am now weighing 229lbs and going down

iyonna
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 06:55

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 182/164/150
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default Now measuring...

You make a very good point about measuring myself. For some reason, I never have done it, although I now wish I did. I've been LC'ing for 6 mths now and this weekend was the first time I took my measurements. So, in the next few weeks I'll be able to see if I'm loosing inches, even if I'm not loosing lbs.

Thanks for the tip!!

Christy
  #183   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 07:45
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS DIET
Stats: 260/225/170
BF:30%/20%/10%
Progress: 39%

Thanks for your two cents Iyonna. Sounds like a good idea.
Not to mention it would be nice to be able to have a couple
of new foods on the weekends. I am taking Xendrine EFX, been
on it for 1 week now. Iam going to take my measurements
tonight and see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

Hope everyone has a great 4th of July, anyone have any other
suggestions love to hear them.

Pammysue
  #184   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 07:27

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Question Is it common to get dull headache when starting on thermogenics?

I started taking Extreme Ripped Fuel this week to help boost my metabolism. I have developed a dull headache. Is this common? Do thermogenics increase blood flow (therefore blood pressure?)? If it's common does it normally go away once your body adjusts, or is this a sign that thermogenics are not compatible with how my body works?

Detailed info..
Tuesday - 1 pill before lunch. BFL Upper body workout about 2pm
Wednesday - 2 pills before early morning 20MAS, 1 pill before lunch
Thursday - no pills yet

Since Monday I cut out all coffee, which was usually only 2 cups of black coffee first thing in the morning.

I am prone to migraines, triggered by anything that increases blood flow to the head. I tried taking ginsing and various female herbal hormone replacement remedies but had to stop all of them within 3 or 4 days because they contained ingredients that increased blood flow to the head, and caused dull all day long headaches.

Since I started LCing, migraines and chronic headaches have gone away completely, unless I eat something or take a supplement that is a trigger.

I haven't been able to determine if the dull headache is from the Extreme Ripped Fuel, or from the intense heat this week (although I have been hybernating inside in the air conditioning)

Any info would be appreciated. I'm mostly interested in finding out more about how the body reacts to the start of a thermogenic routine, so I can make a decision as to whether to continue or not.

ps - I spent time yesterday searching this forum for references to thermogenics and headaches and found nothing.

Last edited by AngelaR : Thu, Jul-04-02 at 12:09.
  #185   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 13:10

Plan: trying low carb, hi fat /
Stats: 220/180/165 Female 5'11" / 71 inches / 178cm
BF:not tracking
Progress: 73%
Exclamation ....but anyone thinking about including the stack should still consult thier DR!

...RIGHT???

I have a question for the "INSPIRING (-looking" at least, nice pic TD) TrainerDan":

If someone is sensitive to caffiene to the point of chronic insomnia, they can't do the stack, so can they do just the nat-ephed & aspirin combo with any fx? I CANNOT do caffiene. Also I had heart surgry on a valve when I was 3. I have decent BP now, low chol, and work out cardio 30 mins NP's. Will my doc laugh at me if I ask if its safe for me to take a nat-ephed?

Thanks
Kara
  #186   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 17:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/104/103 Female 61"
BF:
Progress: 99%

Wow, this is quite an informative discussion y'all have going on here!

I too have decided to try out an ECA stack. After visiting Drumlib.com and checking out the price comparison page, I decided to try Metabolift first (for half dose), and then use Stacker 2 when I want full dose. I'm one of those people that isn't bothered/affected much by caffiene and stimulants, and so far I haven't noticed any difference in the way I feel on 1/2 dose.

Thanks for mentioning body temperaure, I ought to check mine in the mornings while I'm taking this. Its usually under 97 maybe ECA will help up it.
  #187   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 14:44
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default times?

Are there certain times of the day where it is more effective to take an ECA stack? For example, only on an empty stomach.
I eat every 3-4 hours so I don't think it is ever empty except early AM.

Thanks!
Meg
  #188   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 14:58

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Some people take their ECA about half an hr before working out, so they get the boost for the WO. I take mine on an empty stomach for AM cardio, then another by 3 pm. If I have caffiene any later than that, it keeps me up.

Hope that helps.

Friday
  #189   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 15:18

Plan: trying low carb, hi fat /
Stats: 220/180/165 Female 5'11" / 71 inches / 178cm
BF:not tracking
Progress: 73%
Question Q: about NHF's Thermogen-X...anyone use this?

I just bought it then read somewhere about Guarana root, is that a natural ephedra, or am i mistaken?
I just dont want to take any ephedra products.
I had heart surgury & have mild hypertension when stressed. I am IR & PCOS as well.
I need to lose 40 lbs, have lost 10

It contains:
Calcium Pyruvate 250mg
HCA 250mg
Fucus vesiculosis 130mg
guarana root 80mg
kola nut 75mg
uva ursi (10% arbutin) 100mg
Gymnema sylvestre (25% gym. acid) 30mg
Vanadyl sulfate 100mcg
[in a 14% gelatin/86% h20 capsule]

recommended to take by body weight
on an empty stomach
<125lbs 4 caps
150-180 5 caps
180-225 6 caps
>225 8 caps

I was taking 2 sets of 3 caps (I'm 200 lbs)
then stopped, b/c I didnt know what I was taking.
I THOUGHT that I had bought a supplement that contained cayenne & other thermo-whatever nutrients, but this was beside it on the shelf & cheaper for more caps, and I screwed up.

I get really spinny on these, so i read the label & saw the ingreds & went whoa nelly!
thanks for any help
Kara

Last edited by Kara : Fri, Jul-12-02 at 15:38.
  #190   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 11:21

Plan: CKD
Stats: 260/206/160
BF:23
Progress: 54%
Lightbulb

Hi there and welcome all my first time on forum
First of all, please, forgive my my terrible english

I've begun my fat-loosing crusade abount 5 months ago. It was just a normal, hi-carbohydrate, low caloric diet with aerobic exercises 5 days per week (2 hours of bicycle trips at good speed).

In the last two months i've also started carefully ECA power-ups. As i have alergie to aspirine, i use mix of Ephedra 60 and Caffeine 200 form Kaizen, without any aspirine or salicile boosting.

On this time, i've lost 30 kilograms (66 pounds) including much of my lean body mass (low-caloric diet , decrased methabolism , exercises)

Now i am impressed with my friend's results on hi-fat, hi-proteins, low-carbo diet (calling here in Poland kato or CKD diet, which is quite similar to Atkin's diet i suppose), and i've decided to try the same to loos rest of my fattie

I will put away thermogenic stacks in kato-phase and will take them in carbohydrate-up phase (1 day of last 6 low-carbo days in each week).

Now i'am on third day of "fat-diet" , keto-diastix strips shows ketones in my urine - my body is in state of kethosis. I hope my kidneys and liver will survive this

I am gonna make a diary, so it should be preserved for posterity
  #191   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 19:22
Registered Member

Plan: protein diet and adkins, slenderwiegh, tae-bo
Stats: 220/158/145
BF:
Progress: 83%

Hi Kara,
Guarana is caffiene I'm fairly sure and mahung in ephedra. Good luck and also welcome aboard "beerman". Lisa
  #192   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 23:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 162/151/120
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Thermogenics Plus containing Phosphosterine™???

what is the thoughts on this new product? How can it possibly work? If anyone has any thoughts, let me know!

Clinically Proven Weight Loss
Results 830% greater than diet and exercise alone!

Boost Metabolism
Control Appetite
No Caffeine
No Ephedrine
No Ma Huang
No stimulants
Natural Fat Burner
Fast Weight Loss
Safe and effective
No Failure
32% increased energy levels

If you've watched the news lately, there's little doubt that you've heard of the ill effects and dangers of using any stimulant based weight loss products.
As effective as they have been for a lot of people, the risk is just too high.

A lot of people saw these risky and dangerous products as their way to lose weight. But if you suffer from high blood pressure, hypertension, diabetes and many other conditions, the risk of something going wrong using such stimulant based weight loss products is immesurably high.

Now there's finally a solution. With Thermogenics Plus containing Phosphosterine™ you can burn fat, lose weight and get more energy without the risk associated with products containing stimulants such as MaHuang or Ephedra.

Thermogencis Plus with Phosphosterine™ naturally speeds up your metabolism which causes your body to burn food and fat much faster.
  #193   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 05:36

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Lisa

I'm by far not an expert on thermogenics, but I have these observations. If I understand this thermogenics properly, the important part of the thermogenics is the ECA stack (ephedra, caffeine, aspirin). The product you mention doesn't have any of those things, so I don't understand how it can be a thermogenic. To me, it sounds like a wonder pill for quick weight loss, advertised as a stimulant free stack, to get people's interest. I may be completely wrong on this.

I did an internet search on Thermogencis Plus with Phosphosterine and came up with a pile of sites. The one that caught my eye the most was this one that claimed there was a scientific study behind this.

http://www.weightlossanddietingpills.com/index.htm

the so called study was:

In a double-blind clinical study, 20 overweight men and women were divided into three groups. Group A received the active Phosphosterine compound. Group B received a placebo. Group C, acting as the control, received nothing.

Each group was permitted to follow a satisfying 1800 calorie a day meal plan, and asked to begin a modest 3-day per week exercise program. In other words, all three groups were treated the same, except Group A was the only group given the active Phosphosterine compound.

At the conclusion of the six week study the data was independently verified and reviewed. The results were astounding! Group A (the Phosphosterine group) experienced a significant decrease in overall body weight -- an incredible 830% greater than the group who followed the diet and exercise program alone!

----

So that study basically had about 6 people on it for 6 weeks. That's far from a clinical study having reliable results. You'd need far more people and a lot more studies to get true scientific results. We all know that the first month or so of any "diet" program people lose a good amount of weight, most of it water not fat, so I find it hard to believe that the pill contributed to this whopping 830% better results.

The other thing I noticed, is that the sites that sell the pill are all heavy into all kinds of "wonder pills and remedies" like breast enlargement, rapid weight loss, cellulite melters etc.

Real ECA stacks are generally used by athletes/weight lifters. The purpose is to boost metabolism to burn fat not necessarily for weight loss, but for fat loss for toning up. To me there is a difference between the two. None of the sites I saw advertising your product were body building or athletic sites.

That's enough to make me wonder if this is just another bottle of snake oil.

I noticed from your profile that you are brand new to this site, and only a few days into Atkins. If you are looking for a quick way to lose weight...there isn't one. Your best bet is to stick with a low carb plan, and do your time with it. A bottle of wonder pills isn't the answer. If on the other hand you are looking for more info on thermogenics to enhance weightlifting results, then I would suggest (if you haven't already) reading this thermogenics thread from the very beginning. There's a ton of valuable info that should help you make up your mind on wh at course to take. We all have choices. They should be informed choices.

Good luck on your journey.

Last edited by AngelaR : Sat, Jul-20-02 at 15:36.
  #194   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 00:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 162/151/120
BF:
Progress: 26%

Thanks Angela! Thats pretty much what i thought, just wondering if anyone had heard of this. I actually stopped in GNC for an atkins bar as i was starving with no other food options and needed something to tide me over. I have had success with atkins in the past and kept the weight off, but now after a year of being on the pill i am back to square one. so now i went off the pill and am starting back with induction. i passed on the salesmans pitch for this product as i am not one to take any kind of pills (i struggle taking an aspirin!) and again was just curious. Being on birth control has totally screwed up my metabolism and the few amounts of carbs i was eating maybe just wasnt the same with the hormones as i used to tolerate them well. Being off the pill now and back to induction i hope will put me back on the right track! Thanks again for your response! This board is very informative and I am definitely learning even more from my first experience with low carbing as i have this access!
Take care!
Lisa
  #195   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 22:36

Plan: G.I. Diet
Stats: 346/240/225
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Starting Xenadrine

Hey everyone, just finished reading through most of the thread. I'm about to start taking Xenadrine (old school stuff I bought last year) to help bust through my last 15/20 pounds (I've lost about 105 so far from diet in the past 5 months).

What's the recommended advice for dosage/frequency? I have read in the thread 8 weeks on, 4 weeks off and also M-F but not weekends. Does that sound right? Or is it 8 weeks on, 4 weeks off OR M-F no weekends? I'm concerned about overdoing it and dependency.

I will ease into it as per recommendations on the bottle (basically 1/2 dose for the 1st week). Should I take on an empty stomach?

Thanks for your time,

Anthony