Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 14:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/181/150
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Home Made LC Tortillas

OK I really wanted more of the masa flavor and a better texture than the LC Tortillas I found at the store so worked out a recipe.

3/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten = 18gm
1 Cup finely ground flaxseed meal = 9gm
1/4 cup masa flour = 19 gm
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 to 1 cup warm water

Mix together all of the dry ingredients. Blend in the olive oil. Blend in the warm water 1/4 cup at a time until the dough resembles a bread like dough. I used 3/4 cups, I like my tortillas a bit on the tough side. Cover and let rest 1/2 hour.

Roll the mixture into 12, or 14 if you are adventurous, little balls. Cover and let rest 10 more minutes. Heat a fry pan on med heat. Lay a piece of wax paper on your rolling board, set a ball on the wax paper and cover with another piece, roll out as thin as you can get it. Pull the top wax paper off and take over to the pan, flip over onto the pan and pull of the other piece of wax paper. Fry until dry. Now you can use these as flour type tortillas or you can fry them up like the old corn tortillas!

You can use 1/2 cup masa and 1/2 cup vital wheat if you want which will give it a more corn tortilla feel.

you can also add garlic and chili and cumin and oinion powder then cut up like chips and fry, these fry up nice and crisp! Please adjust carb count for additives. 0.5 gm per tsp.

Total about 3.1 grams carb per tortilla!

Couple more points I forgot to add. The Vital Wheat Gluten can get very rubbery, this will require lots of rolling, you roll, it shrinks, etc etc. You just have to be patient and keep rolling away at them. Try rolling one side then flipping the whole assembly over to roll the other side.

Finally you can, instead of using the wax paper, roll in about 1/4 tsp masa flour. This will add carbs, you can try soy flour or even more finely ground flax meal.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 16:20
Registered Member

Stats: 202.5/185/145
BF:??
Progress: 30%
Default WOW and double WOW

I really like this recipe!! The whole thing kinda scared me at first, but i had all the ingredients so I decided to try it. I even made a double recipe today. I got into a groove with rolling one out and letting it cook while I rolled out another one. I didn't reallly have trouble geting them to roll out. (mabye the fact i have a marble rolling pin didn't hurt.) They started out super thin and big and shrunk some on cooking. They also look very brown, but don't really have a strong flavor. YUM YUM YUM! In my book worth the effort. Thanks for sharing!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 23:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 346/295/220 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default A little shift of focus

I tried the recipe, and I don't think I put enough water in the dough. I found that I could roll the tortillas out extremely thin, but when I started to cook them, they shrunk and became sort of thick.

Then, I cooked them too much. However, the ones that I cooked to a crisp I used as a flatbread/cracker. I put butter and cream cheese and ate them like that. They were good.

I also thought that when I try the recipe again, I will add sesame seeds to it and cook all of them nice and crispy.

Thanks for the recipe.

Bobby
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 16:55

Plan: aitkens
Stats: 216/177/150 Female 5feet5inches
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default tortillas

What is masa flour/Can u use cornmeal instead
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 13:24
Registered Member

Stats: 234/220/165
BF:43.8/?/22
Progress: 20%
Thumbs up Thanks!

I'm going to try this. My DH was just lamenting that he couldn't have his usual 3-4 tortillas with dinner.

Selina
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 21:48

Plan: Keto <38 carbs daily
Stats: 316/287.2/132 Female 64
BF:Isn't It Obvious?!
Progress: 16%

This sounds absolutely wonderful! We use SOOOOO many tortillas as a family, that I buy low-carb tortillas in bulk online. Maybe this will work out better for us. I can't wait to give it a try! Thanks!

Kris
"ICanDoThis"
goal: 130
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 09:32

Plan: Anabolic Diet
Stats: 255/223/205
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default LC Tortillas, best tasting, lowest carb, and cheapest way to get them

As stated in the subject, wanted to know your thoughts on the best low carb tortillas around. I have been eating the subway variety for the past week and want to look for alternatives so i can fill it with my own meats/veggies.

I have heard of La Tortilla, how is hte taste/texture?

Are there others out there that are alot better?

Thanks

Sam
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 18:59
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I have heard of La Tortilla, how is hte taste/texture?
Check in the Products Forum for La Tortilla. There's lots of opinions and info on them.

Karen