Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-01, 08:59

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%
Default Don't want to lose track....

I'm lossing track of the miles that I'm putting on my hiking boots.

Up to this point I have recorded the following:

Aug 2001 - 60 k 37.5 miles

Sept 2001 - 50 k 31.25 miles

Oct 2001 - 51 k 31.88 miles

Nov 1-18, 2001 - 85 k 53.13 miles

Last edited by LC Sponge : Mon, Nov-19-01 at 20:25.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-01, 21:17

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

Whoa, I'm tryin' to convert k's to mi's to get an idea how much you've trekked this mo., SO FAR. Is my algebra just really bad?? (Mr. Baade in 8th grade thought so ) or did you do almost 141 mi. in 18 days??????

YB prostrate on ground, facing north ( the way people face mecca in the east) chanting aaaaaaahhhhhhh in the direction of the great LC SPONGE.

Good grief girl, when you do these weekend hikes, how far do you go in one day??OMG

yb
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 00:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 7%

LC Sponge

Wow and Cool just don't seem to do you justice, but they are all I got right now

Quote:
YB prostrate on ground, facing north ( the way people face mecca in the east) chanting aaaaaaahhhhhhh in the direction of the great LC SPONGE.

YogaBuff I'm right there with you--think it will help any
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 05:09

You guys crack me up! There must be more oxygen goin' to the brain over here in the locker room.

km - 2.2 = mile - 1

I've edited message number 1 to give you the translation.

Kilometers are the ONLY good thing about the metric system. It looks longer

I live in the country and I hike through conservation areas, along old rail beds, or on country roads.

My longest in one day was 18 km. (8 miles)

Have a good one, my fellow heavy breathers.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 07:51

BF:
Progress:

Oh, wow, I must have been doing it totally backwards. Can you believe my two sons are math wizards, in calculus and geometry, etc. They PEER tutor. Obviously something they get from hubby!

Actually I LOVE metric-- knew it pretty well when I was a nurse, but we didn't calculate dosages in k's. I was going, like, OK--if I ran a 5k once and that's 3.1 mi............I'm such a dummy.

Still that's a lotta hikin'. The country would be nice. We live in the suburbs, but poochie and I head down to an old fort from the War of 1812, it's next to a river amd is fairly 'rural'. Nice.
yb
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 17:33

Ahh a fellow dog lover - what kind of pooch?

I've got an old german shepherd - she must be 9, but she's getting up there. She kept up on the 12 k hike yesterday, but she sure slept well. She occasionally does a toe drag thing, that my dh says is a sign she may have had a stroke.

Dog #2 is a rottie rescue from the humane society. Probably found his way there because he is a RUNNER. We put in underground fencing as soon as we got him and that's held him nicely. When he got back from the 12 k yesteday, all he wanted to do was play - just a warm up for him!!!

Have a spectacular time at the huntin' cottage - what a great way to spend Thanksgiving! I envy you the rural experience (what am I saying, I just threw more logs into the wood stove ) ok - the EXTRA rural experience. PS good luck on the hunt. We don't hunt ourselves but we let a neighbour bag a deer on our property this year, so he delivered a bit of venison today as a thank you.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 18:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Spongey,

You may be thinking of pounds not distance, 2.2 lbs = 1 kilogram and 1 mile = 1.6 km; and yes, I was a good math student. I can do the lbs/kg conversion in my head, but have to rely on the 50 mph = 80 kmh (memory not multiplication) to figure out distance.

Your mileage looks good. When you wear those hiking boots out, you'll be able to tell the world what kind of mileage we can expect from our hikers.

TTFN,
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 20:27

Ruth - you are a goddess. No word of a lie.

I can't believe how assinine my calculations were. Thanks so much for putting me on track - not to mention there's more miles in that first post now
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 18:06

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%

LC,

For some stupid reason I put this question to you in my journal, of all places. You have a better chance of reading it here, I would think. Anyway, I'd just like to know if, when you got close to goal did you end up having to cut calories at all to finally reach your goal. Or did you sincerely stay on your Way of Life, oblivious to the slowdown in your weightloss. I suppose I could do either one, and there are some -- ahem -- kind of fanatical types around who think you need to eat 100 times your weight in calories, etc. etc. Anyway, since NO ONE can speak with more authority than you about reaching goal, what is the story?

Thanks a bunch

--Missydog
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 18:14

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%

LC,

Oh, I just found your reply in my journal. Very sensible. I find I am eating between 1400-1500 calories a day to lose, and I think I might even take it lower than that, say to 1350. I'll see.

By the way, I love your image of the plane coming into land. Gives kind of a noble slant on the weightloss slowdown.

Thanks,
Missydog
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 18:15

Hey, are you kidding? - I'm one of your biggest fans!!! I got your question sure enough!!! My answer's in your journal
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-01, 08:25

Aug 2001 - 60 k 37.5 miles

Sept 2001 - 50 k 31.25 miles

Oct 2001 - 51 k 31.88 miles

Nov 1-25, 2001 - 93 k 58.13 miles

Made it out for a 5k run this morning before the rain started. Which is pretty good considering I haven't done any serious exercise since last Sunday.

It's November 25 and the temperature outside was 16.6 C at 7:25 a.m. when I started out. That has got to be some kind of record. Hope to do a hike this afternoon, but it's pouring out right now- If I make it I'll update this entry. Until then - I'm baby quilting - Made it out for a 3k walk (still raining )

Last edited by LC Sponge : Sun, Nov-25-01 at 14:40.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 14:16

BF:
Progress:

Hey, Sponge, the cabin was nice, the weather too warm for this time of year, hubby and BIL got one buck each , and my sons got zippo. They saw lots of mamas with babies, but we never take mamas with babies . We aren't out to eradicate the species. And they NEED their mamas.

I can't believe you're down to 141.5# already!When (and how) will it end? What -if anything- are you doing to slow your loss and stay at goal? Questions pour into my head.

Well, a freezer full of venison, and we;re having fish tonight. Go figure. What does that chef of a husband of yours do with fish?

YB
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 14:19

BF:
Progress:

P.S. We have a yellow lab named Bear. He's 6 yrs. old, and could run WAY further than me. He makes me feel like we're having fun out there.

YB
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 15:32

Hey YB - welcome back to urban society!

Congrats on the deer. It's always nice to have a full freezer at this time of year - it's something that gives great comfort, and will again when February winds blow.

I'm letting my weight loss do what it wants. I'm trying to shift my attention to physical fitness as a main focus. It takes some turning of the periscope tho - that sucker is fixed on the scale something fierce!

Was lucky enough to have lunch with Nat, Lisaf and Muse yesterday (and Nat's beau), and all the Body For Life talk got me really thinking. Nat loves the program and it's doing well for her.

I'm off to northern Ontario for 3 days on business, leaving tomorrow morning. I may have to pick up the Body For LIfe book and give it a read.

Oh yeah - almost forgot to log todays hike - 12 k. First hike this month