Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#451   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-22, 09:44

Plan: DDF, P:E
Stats: 237.5/179.4/150 Female 64
BF:55.7%/47.5%/?
Progress: 66%

I've not really been following DDF for awhile now. I did start crossfit in mid Jul and have lost weight. I was regaining while trying to lose on DDF and since crossfit, I'm down 9.6 lbs so at a new low for me at 194.4. A week ago I started with a nutritionist who is also a crossfitter and was told I wasn't eating enough. So I've bumped up my protein and she insists on increasing carbs. I've gone from 20 or less in carbs to 65g at the moment. I'm losing a bit now, so maybe I was starving myself? Anyway, still believe in Marty and his plan...just taking a break for a bit and trying something new. I love the exercise and sleep so much better. later.......d
Sponsored Links
  #452   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-22, 11:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That sound great..glad CrossFit is working for you. I can't see myself at 71 doing it but admire anyone who can!

Neither Marty or Ted Naiman are low carb the way most here would define it. I actually aim for 70g net carbs but often fall short of that…it hard after being VLC for so long to embrace the really carby foods. Black beans and potatoes are about as wild as I get.

I loosely followed what Dr Naiman has in the PE Diet book. Protein 145g for me at 5’9”. Both fat and carbs end up about 50-70g.

In addition to all those Insulin Resistance articles in post #447. Another new one explain in what Insulin does:

Insulin is NOT Making You Fat (and Here’s Why)

https://optimisingnutrition.com/ins...fat/#more-36849

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Oct-19-22 at 06:22.
  #453   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-22, 09:04

Plan: DDF, P:E
Stats: 237.5/179.4/150 Female 64
BF:55.7%/47.5%/?
Progress: 66%

[QUOTE=JEY100]That sound great..glad CrossFit is working for you. I can't see myself at 71 doing it but admire anyone who can!

I'm 68 and been a computer nerd couch potato most of my adult life. I knew I had to do something as I could barely make it up the stairs. One gym here was offering a "Reborn" class, for those that are challenged, very sedentary, etc...and that's where I began, 3 times a week. Three weeks ago i began attending a normal class and found I could hold my own. They still modify my exercise as compared to the young folks but I'm now RUNNING! Me, running...never thought I'd get this far. So now I'm working out Mon thru Fri with an occasional Saturday morning.

The macros prescribed to me were 135g protein, 125g carbs and 48g fat. I end up over 100g protein, 40g or so of carbs and well under the 48g of fat. I'm losing consistently now where I wasn't before.

I have Dr Naiman's book and may revisit that if time permits today. Maybe I've been doing DDF all wrong?

My A1C before the gym was 4.7, so BG has not seemed to be an issue for me. I'm do for my annual soon, I think. Wonder what it will be now?

Thanks for your comments. I always find them helpful.
  #454   ^
Old Sat, Nov-26-22, 05:38

The PE diet is half off, Optimising Nutrition has a sale on all three programs…forever…LifeTime membership. This is what I bought two years ago to make maintaining my weight loss easy.

Quote:
Our Black Friday Sale gets you unlimited access to our Data-Driven Fasting Challenge, Macros Masterclass and Micros Masterclass.
You can round out the year with our Micros Masterclass (which starts Saturday).
Join now at: app.optimisingnutrition.com/lifetimer

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Nov-26-22 at 07:33.
  #455   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-22, 12:49
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hi, I've signed up for the January 7 class and I've been playing with the app and testing blood sugar. It's kind of fun to gameify the numbers and see how I react to foods and the timing of eating. I've been posting all the boring numbers in my journal.

Beth
  #456   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-22, 13:27

Great idea, I played around with the old DDF Spreadsheet for a few months before really committed to the plans. Many of the members of DDF come from a failed keto/VLC approach so many of us have frustratingly high Waking BG, but now we know why. My waking is usually 100-110, then just to throw me off course, this morning was 93 ! Everyone is trying to improve their own numbers...it does not matter if you start as a T2 diabetic near 200 or an elite athletes in the 70s. That Protein First technique really does work.

You may have already done this, but join the Free Optimizing Nutrition Community. That's where all the courses are run, and it takes a while to get use to a set-up that is not Facebook (or at least it took ME a while!) to find my way through the groups. It is an interesting community of people! I am a host/moderator in all three programs and happy to help you.
PS: I go by my FB name there too, Julia Young
  #457   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-22, 13:43
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I am there. I just posted that I was from Maine in the Where in the World do you call home thread.

Thanks,

Beth
  #458   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-22, 14:10

Great, I see it…know who you are now.

To others who want to learn more about the Data Driven Challenge. Tons to read about blood glucose, eating to satiety, insulin, all in the links: https://optimisingnutrition.com/dat...nge/#more-30318

Anyone can try the APP for free now, many improvements since starting as an excel spreadsheet . https://app.datadrivenfasting.com/

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Dec-02-22 at 05:51.
  #459   ^
Old Wed, Dec-28-22, 13:26

Part of a New Year email from Marty Kendall about Saiety:

Quote:
Our analysis of one hundred and forty thousand days of data from forty thousand Optimiser shows that our appetite settles down when we give our bodies the protein and nutrients it needs from our food.

It sort of makes sense when you think about it that way, but satiety is not word you hear every day. So we prepared this guide Satiety: How to Lose Weight with Less Hunger to unpack the basics and clarify some of the points of confusion around the topic.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/sat...ith-less-hunger
  #460   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-23, 04:25

The Big Fat Keto Lies book has been just been added to the Kindle store. The price is only $2.99 the lowest allowed by whatever service he used.
The Kindle reformatting pushed it from 300 to 400 pages, but the charts and graphs have been updated, and now easier to read for my old eyes. You can still get the book with some memberships from the community, but if someone wants just the book, such a deal!

If anyone here has used the information in the book, I’m sure Marty would appreciate customer reviews. They can be a sentence or two with a star rating that will improve the starting level. I bought a new copy so my review will show as a verified purchaser, but including that read earlier edition is fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Fat-Keto...k/dp/B0BRL6TBMF
  #461   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-23, 08:51

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Thanks! I discovered it is free on Kindle Unlimited, too. Which is how I'm reading it. At the rate I read, it's a fine budget management tool And I will leave a review, because that is important for all authors.

Also wanted to thank JEY for her work with the program and getting the word out. While I haven't done the program, it helped me immensely in tweaking my customized Wahls Protocol along the lines Marty explains. Upping my protein worked great for me in my ongoing recovery program.

Which is why I'll put in a little pitch for joining any service which gives you so many chances to try out their ideas and different ways of committing to the plan. If, like JEY, I had gotten dramatic results from knowing the program so well, I would consider such support to be highly valuable.

Especially since such help can make things easier, and lower stress.
  #462   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-23, 05:47

Aww, WearBear thank you so much! Upping the protein is magic for many different eating plans.
And for women who have gained weight approaching menopause!

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...567#post9440567

Marty has recipes and articles for about 30 diet goals, Including Immunity, with a free abridged recipe book. https://optimisingnutrition.com/foo...ity/#more-18431. And a brand new AutoImmune Paleo intro and recipes book. In ON community, Recipe Book section, last on list.

All 30 recipe books now show 3 free samples, so you can see the nutrition in 90 recipes if somewhat diet agnostic.
For generic good nutrition, There are the Nutrient Dense Meals, https://optimisingnutrition.com/nut...ls-and-recipes/.

All of the DDF course (over 200 pages) is free on the community.
https://members.optimisingnutrition...6296199/content

As WearBear noted and uses the tips, you can join the community for free, https://members.optimisingnutrition...m_source=manual
(Robb Wolf and Gin Stephens, author of #1 Kindle, Fast, Feast Repeat, charge $30 month)

Thanks for great tip about Kindle Unlimited! I have used it a few times on free trial, but then drop it. If you do that all the books and highlights or notes you took disappear. Why I needed to spring for this one. It is #17 in Weight Loss Diets this morning… Amazon rankings are a mystery.
It didn’t even have the editorial and customer reviews a few days ago, but the title is eye-catching.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jan-14-23 at 06:53.
  #463   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-23, 12:50

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

Hello there. I've been using the old spreadsheet. Not sure if I'm ready to commit to the apps. So confusing. I love to see that green color appear, so satisfying! But does anyone know, what do all these other colors mean?!

I've got White, Red, Pink (different shades of pink), light blue, dark blue......
What?
  #464   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-23, 13:36

If you are only interested in DDF, and not tracking your food on Cronometer, it’s one simple app that functions like the spreadsheet you have now. It’s free plus it gives you access to the community on Mighty Networks.

Was this some type of memory test for me?? LOL. I only saved one blank copy of the DDF spreadsheet on Numbers, so I don’t even have a sample to look at. I’ve also cleaned out the many previous additions of the .pdf of manual and only have the latest one….

But as I remember they were the colors of Traffic signals. The green (or blue in your case). meant good in various levels/shades of green as it got better. The red you’re headed in the wrong way, pink not as bad, yellow was caution or neutral. The latest number entered is compared against your baseline number, (or average) which was in a row along the top before the first date entries.

Sorry best I can remember now…maybe look back to around the beginning of 2021 in this thread…possibly this question was answered before the spreadsheet was abandoned?
  #465   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-23, 13:48

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

I know I'm so behind the times! Old school works best for me. My hubby says "technologically challenged"