Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 13:43
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 232/219/200 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Vitamin D makes you FAT

Low carb dieting can be difficult but supplementing vitamin D is very easy and gives the weak willed a way to think they are improving the health, some might even think they going to lose weight by taking extra vitamin D
http://endo.endojournals.org/cgi/co.../en.2008-1118v1

Lean phenotype and resistance to diet-induced obesity in VDR knockout mice correlates with induction of uncoupling protein-1 in white adipose tissue

Quote:
Consistent with elevation in ucp-1, VDRKO mice were resistant to high fat diet induced weight gain. Collectively, these studies identify a novel role for 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 and the VDR in the control of adipocyte metabolism and lipid storage in vivo.

If you want to raise your Vitamin levels (a pointer to health status not a cause that can be altered with pills) then improve your insulin resistance and lose some weight around your middle .
http://www.nutritionj.com/content/7/1/4
Relationships of low serum vitamin D3 with anthropometry and markers of the metabolic syndrome and diabetes in overweight and obesity

Quote:
In the current study we showed that low levels of circulating vitamin D3 were inversely related to markers of TIIDM (large waist and raised HbA1c), rather than total adipose mass, non-waist MetSynM or MetSyn per se.

Quote:
There are several problems with the vitamin-D hypothesis. First, if lack of this vitamin created the selection pressure that led to white European skin, why are Europeans genetically polymorphic in their ability to maintain blood levels of vitamin D? At least two alleles reduce the effectiveness of the vitamin-D binding protein, and their homozygotes account for 9% and 18% of French Canadians (Sinotte et al., 2009). If lack of this vitamin had been so chronic, natural selection would have surely weeded out these alleles. And why does European skin limit vitamin-D production after only 20 minutes of UV-B exposure? (Holick, 1995). Why is such a limiting mechanism necessary?

Why are Europeans white?
http://evoandproud.blogspot.com/200...eans-white.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 13:56

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

I can see that this thread might find its way to being relocated into the "war zone"...
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 13:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

Would anyone care to translate all that scientific jargan into something understandable?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 14:03
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrus
Would anyone care to translate all that scientific jargan into something understandable?

^...what she said!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 14:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Do I smell a troll perhaps?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 14:07
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Well if you we are going to trade research I've got plenty to show the opposite
If we just have a look at the first paper on that list we find vitamin D deficiency accounts for prevalence of obesity and differences in its onset and severity.
They suggest it may be possible to reverse obesity by improving vitamin D status.
Other studies showed that adiposity is an important determinant of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and may be primarily responsible for the association between low vitamin D status. Decreasing 25(OH)D enhances the prevalence of obesity.

Lower vit d impairs glucose- and arginine-induced insulin secretion in perfused rat pancreas
vitamin D supplementation improves first-phase insulin secretion in type 2 diabetic patients
vitamin D adjusts blood pressure by regulating the renin–angiotensin system
there is a negative relationship between serum 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D levels and plasma renin activity
Don't forget low 25(oh)d is noted in patients with cardiovascular disease and dyslipidemia
and hypovitaminosis D has been associated with increased total serum cholesterol concentration

In other words, vitamin D deficiency is a significant reason, not only for obesity, but also for hypertension, insulin metabolism and dyslipidemia.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Fri, Jul-03-09 at 14:22.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 14:41

but Hutch.....

The opening post suggests vitamin D causes fat. Your statements more or less reflect that a lack of vitamin D causes fat..........

To believe both your post and the opening post, I'd have to believe that the cause of being fat is too much or too little vitamin d.....

I suspect though, it is an excess of calories, not an excess of vitamin D that causes people to get fat, but that's just my thinking...
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 14:43
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hutchinson , I followed your link but I couldn't access the paper, the first one, would you like to quote some of it?

VDRKO mice are Vitamin D Receptor (VDR) Knockout Mice, their vitamin D receptors are disabled to study what effect vitamin D has on normal mice (and people). They didn't get fat eating a diet that made normal mice fat. It can be inferred that vitamin D does the opposite of keeping mice (and people) slim.

Here is the other side of the coin mice with high vitamin D activity

Quote:
Recent studies using genetically modified mice, such as FGF23-/- and Klotho-/- mice who mice that exhibit altered mineral homeostasis due to a high vitamin D activity showed features of premature aging that include retarded growth, osteoporosis, atherosclerosis, ectopic calcification, immunological deficiency, skin and general organ atrophy, hypogonadism and short lifespan. The phenotype reversed by normalizing vitamin D and/or mineral homeostasis. Thus, hypervitaminosis D due to an increased 1alpha-hydroxylase activity seems to be a cause of the premature aging.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 15:15
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
but Hutch.....

The opening post suggests vitamin D causes fat. Your statements more or less reflect that a lack of vitamin D causes fat..........
Indeed there is far more evidence suggesting that low Vitamin D status helps prevent obesity that there is to suggest that high vitamin d levels cause obesity.
Quote:
To believe both your post and the opening post, I'd have to believe that the cause of being fat is too much or too little vitamin d.....
Well you have to make a judgement based on the weight and quality of the evidence
Quote:
I suspect though, it is an excess of calories, not an excess of vitamin D that causes people to get fat, but that's just my thinking...
Of course calories and the nature of those calories will have an impact on the way your body stores fat. Taubes Dartmouth talk is probably the best summary, especially as he has now acknowledged the importance of fructose in the equation.
But there is still a role for vitamin d status to exacerbate the problem

We know that D3 is fat soluble so as the fat gets stored away in fat cells it is no longer available to act as an anti inflammatory agent, and the large fat cells grow the more pro inflammatory cytokines they emit so a vicious spiral starts.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 15:23
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lere
Hutchinson , I followed your link but I couldn't access the paper, the first one, would you like to quote some of it?
I have quoted some of it.

Quote:
VDRKO mice are Vitamin D Receptor (VDR) Knockout Mice, their vitamin D receptors are disabled to study what effect vitamin D has on normal mice (and people). They didn't get fat eating a diet that made normal mice fat. It can be inferred that vitamin D does the opposite of keeping mice (and people) slim.
But that is only one piece of research into a complex issue and the majority of the research shows the opposite effect.

Raising vitamin D status does not cause weight gain.
These guys got 3200iu/daily and everything about their CVD improved and they did NOT gain weight.

Vitamin D supplementation enhances the beneficial effects of weight loss on cardiovascular disease risk markers

So what counts most? People or mice.
In the lab or in real life?
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 15:44
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
In the current study we showed that low levels of circulating vitamin D3 were inversely related to markers of TIIDM (large waist and raised HbA1c), rather than total adipose mass, non-waist MetSynM or MetSyn per se.

Sick people have lower D - absolutely.
Sick people can use pills to attain high vitamin D (though they'll need to use an awful lot). Higher levels are not going to make them become any healthier.

Improve your health by improving insulin resistance and losing weight; the D levels will rise.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 15:52
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lere
Sick people have lower D - absolutely.
Agreed. The lower you allow your vitamin D to drop the more likely you are to be ill and die.

Quote:
Sick people can use pills to attain high vitamin D (though they'll need to use an awful lot).
Indeed that is true but not in comparison with the amounts you would naturally acquire laying naked in the midday sun for 20~30 minutes.

Quote:
Higher levels are not going to make them become any healthier.
That simply is not true you have no evidence to back that up. Raising the status of elderly people stops them falling and thus has a major impact on their muscle strength and quality of life apart from the impact on their improved cognitive function.

Quote:
Improve your health by improving insulin resistance and losing weight; the D levels will rise.
Sure there are always more than one way to crack a nut. But raising vitamin D status simulateously with lowering carb intake and losing weight makes the whole process quicker and easier.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 17:32

I wish I had a nickle for every opinion and comment I've read about vitamin D...............
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 17:57
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

Even just a penny will do. ACK!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-09, 02:16
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
I wish I had a nickle for every opinion and comment I've read about vitamin D...............
Now I were paid a £1 for every research paper on Vitamin D I've read I'd also be a lot richer.

It isn't opinions that matter, particularly those of people who haven't read the scientific literature and who clearly aren't aware of what actually happens in practice.

It doesn't take long to see what the researchers have reported since the beginning of this year.
8,220 new items already this year for vitamin d.

Those people who aren't keeping up with the real world of cutting edge vitamin d research simply make fools of themselves when they express second hand opinions.