Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1231   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-13, 11:19

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Thanks for sharing with is. This just gets better and better. So many reasons to stick to this WOE.
Sponsored Links
  #1232   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-13, 11:29
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

You're welcome, tbagram!

I'd gotten so focused on weight loss that I'd forgotten about the longevity benefits, which had, for example, been the focus of the Michael Mosley's BBC program on the 5:2 diet. I also recently read Mosley's book on the plan, entitled "The Fast Diet." While I didn't learn much that I didn't already know from that book, I did find it motivating. In particular, it included numerous success stories from people who had contacted Dr. Mosley after going on the diet when learning of it from the BBC program.
  #1233   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 10:16

BF:

Anyone still doing the JUDDD? For some crazy reason I keep getting side tracked and trying new things which are harder to do than this WOE. I have motivated myself AGAIN!!! Looking back at my journal and my Fat Secret food log helped me to see it is the only thing that truly works for me. I am up to 225 now and last July I was at 203. Whats wrong with me? I was so close to seeing the 100's again and again got side tracked. Soooo!!! Any one out there in the JUDDD BUDDD world?
  #1234   ^
Old Wed, May-28-14, 16:37

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbagram
Anyone still doing the JUDDD? For some crazy reason I keep getting side tracked and trying new things which are harder to do than this WOE. I have motivated myself AGAIN!!! Looking back at my journal and my Fat Secret food log helped me to see it is the only thing that truly works for me. I am up to 225 now and last July I was at 203. Whats wrong with me? I was so close to seeing the 100's again and again got side tracked. Soooo!!! Any one out there in the JUDDD BUDDD world?

Hi
I hadn't checked in here yet, but I do JUDDD and low carb (higher, but I wouldn't say "high" fat and protein per Phinney/Volek) together.
I don't know that I might lose any more/less doing JUDDD since I haven't tried my WOE without it, BUT JUDDD has given me the gift of experiencing my hunger again. In the spirit of meaningful fasting, I also do 16 hour daily fasts with a 4-5 hour eating "window" on my UDs. I do 4:3, but have 2 UDs in a row - but my second UD in that row is usually a MD. I did this because my DH is only home on the weekends, so I wanted to have one good UD on Sundays and then again on Mondays because those Mondays are hellaciously long and tedious due to him flying out and school schedules, etc.

This said, I've been practicing intuitive/hunger driven and mindful eating methods, and I believe the above combination has been useful for me.

Anyway, my losses have been averaging 3.1 pounds/week, but this is not to say that since I have so much to lose that I might very well lose this amount regardless of the JUDDDing. I also expect my losses to slow down as I lose more, but I believe that is to be expected.
You said:
Quote:
"Whats wrong with me?"

because you nearly got into Onederland doing what you were doing? Well, I think it is human nature to want to tinker to see if you can further improve even a known successful plan. It's either that or you're addicted to dieting (not kidding, some people really are addicted to serial dieting). Only you would know for sure, but it is something to take into consideration.
Either way, I am around and will be happy to join in on this board should it become more active. Otherwise, I shall keep doing what I do...
  #1235   ^
Old Fri, May-30-14, 12:10

BF:

Thanks Sereen, I am doing pretty good with the JUDDD again. I really am motivated since looking back at my journal. I'm also trying to get more creative in my choice of foods. 500 is too low for me so I have been shooting to around 700 calories.

I do DD on Mon., Wed., and Fri. Sat. and Sun. are two UD in arow but it woks for me.

Yes, I think I have an addiction of trying out new diets. Seeing that in myself helps to controll myself. Another thing that helps me is to not beat up on myself for a slip up. As someone else said..."this WOE is very forgiving". Switching diets when I slip up is really very self defeating. I need to own up to this 100%!
  #1236   ^
Old Fri, May-30-14, 12:29

I finally read through all 42 pages of this thread last evening. LOL
Yes, it seems you did REALLY well when you were focused.
I wish so many life things didn't thwart our efforts! I guess it only happens when we let it, but still... it's hard!
I saw that someone was doing 700 and that worked for her. I think once you are through induction of 500 for the two weeks of 4:3, maybe that sirt-1 is nice and active, so the 700 isn't such a big deal. AND... then you have somewhere to go if/when you need to 'tweak' for plateaus, etc.
Yes, it helps immensely to be gentle with yourself. DO NOT listen to the mean girl voice inside you that berates you for any reason (like off-plan eating, etc). We give that voice the power by listening to it. You keep ignoring it and it will slowly fade and go away.
JUDDD is very do-able, and I really love some of the energy and potential long-term benefits of longevity with fasting.
I do a VLC (generally 20 net carbs or less) ketogenic-ish diet along with JUDDD, and it can be difficult sometimes to get enough of one thing or another, but I am always satisfied.
I tend to use up a lot of my calories with my 2 tbs of coconut oil a day, but it certainly helps to get through the DDs for me.

As for the serial dieting: I'm not real sure since I haven't really dieted serially. I gained a lot once then lost it and kept it off for a bunch of years until I got pregnant and all hell broke lose with my body. I have read about individuals who serial diet getting a sense of euphoria starting "something new and promising"... over and over again. Some don't know how to function when dieting isn't the center of their lives anymore, apparently. Maybe that's why it was difficult once you got close to Onederland? Anyway, I'm not a good resource for information on the subject, but a hunger driven eating/intuitive eating book I read (that I try to use in practice when eating to gauge hunger and satiety) called "How to Have Your Cake and Your Skinny Jeans Too" by Josie Spinardi, talked about this a little bit. It was a really good read about binge eating, overeating and dieting in general. If you search Josie Spinardi on YouTube, she has a number of videos there as well if you're interested.
My DDs are: Tues, Thurs, Sat
My UDs are: Fri, Sun
I do an MD on Mondays

Looks like we'll be on opposite days, but I'll definitely help in any way I can!

It's pretty cool to be starting this thread back up again. I do hope we get others, but I will understand if we don't. JUDDD isn't for everyone, certainly.
  #1237   ^
Old Sat, May-31-14, 11:18

Howdy

It's a DD today, so for me, that means up to 520 cals, though when I use a different calculator for BMR, I get 506 cals.
I also have set a self-imposed carb limit of up to 8 carbs for DDs. With so few fat and protein gms for the calories, I generally do more fat than protein on DDs.

I use net carbs (I subtract only fiber and erythritol, but count everything else).

I know the previous posters of this thread seemed to do a lot of really creative cooking for DDs, but when I cook, it just seems to make me feel hungrier - that and I dislike cooking for just myself (probably because the clean-up is just as bad as if I were cooking for two or three persons). The mere smell of food starts me feeling like I can eat (sometimes, not always). Because of either not feeling like eating much sometimes on DDs, I try to keep it simple with foods I really like - even on UDs.

The plan for today and similar for most DDs:
Standard water with lemon and a pinch of salt. (3 Tbs lemon juice or 9 cals / 2.25 gm carbs)
2 cocoa fat bombs (total 246.70 cal / 0.3 gm carb)
1 hb egg (74 cal / 0.6 gm carb)
2 Tbs deviled chicken spread (70 cal / 1.6 gm carb)
3 mugs (teabags) of various herbal flavored teas (0 cal / 1.5 gm carb or 0.5 gm carb each)
The remainder of my calories/carbs are derived from the various supplements I take.
The total for the day is: 510 cal / 49.8 gm fat / 11.5 gm protein / 8 gm carb)

I may or may not eat the hb egg/deviled chicken spread, but I have been trying to do my DDs closer to max calories so I can have "somewhere to go" with them if/when weight loss plateaus/stalls at some point.

I'm not sure right now what will be on plan for tomorrow, but my UD max calories are supposed to be 2600 (2529 for the other calculator), and to be honest, I have great difficulty hitting them most days, so I at least try to have a 1000-1100 calorie difference between my DDs and UDs. I also generally try to keep my daily carb gram average around 10 carbs. I'm not into starvation level intake, but I'm also not into forcing eating just because the numbers say I can. As long as the hunger is satisfied, I'm trusting my body to tell me when it is hungry, and I will (try to!) act accordingly.

I've got some lemon cream cheese fat bombs (which are higher in cals than the cocoa ones, but lower than the natural peanut butter or almond ones I use for UDs) setting in the freezer, so I am thinking they will be nice for MD Mondays.

Hope your UD today is a good one, tbagram!
  #1238   ^
Old Sat, May-31-14, 13:52

As I was noting some information for my own tracking, it dawned on me that I didn't see a scale/gauge posted here so we can gauge our tolerance of our DDs. Sometimes it helps me remember what worked for me and what didn't when I'm doing meal/snack planning.

It's cool if you don't want to use it. I found it helpful, so I thought I'd share what I've got.

Here's the scale/gauge I use when noting my tolerance of my DDs:

DD Tolerance Scale (worst to best)
1 - Miserable: I feel weak/light-headed and have no energy. I've been questioning why I do JUDDD at all!
2 - Uncomfortable: I don't feel weak/light-headed but my energy seems somewhat low. I keep fighting urges to eat over my DD calories
3 - Comfortable: I've been relatively satisfied today and have had average energy. I could probably eat more, but I don't feel it necessary
4 - Perfectly Comfortable: I've been perfectly satisfied and have good energy. I haven't even thought much about eating today
5 - Awesome!: I have so much energy and I don't even want food! I'm loving these DDs! JUDDD4EVER!!!

Last edited by Sereen : Fri, Jul-18-14 at 17:35. Reason: grammatical error correction
  #1239   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-14, 06:23

BF:

Sereen,, You are so precise. I envy those who are that on top of things.
My son made me a fruit and veggie smoothie so I had that for breakfast. He says ther is 100 calories in the bottle. Hoping that it will keep me from hunger until noon.
I like the scale you have come up with. I will use this and post my number for the day in my Fat Secret log. That way I can look back and see which days were the best days for hunger on the DD.
I have determinded not to be thrown off track with "another diet"! I also decided to weigh myself once a week instead of every day. I did contemplate weighing twice a month. Still on the fence with this.
One thing I have not done is to go only low carb with this WOE. I eat a variety of things and just count the calories.
  #1240   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-14, 07:32

Thanks for the compliment, but honestly? The only reason I'm meticulous is it helps keep me engaged and collects data when something starts being off. Case in point: On a different thread, coconut oil was being discussed, and several people also mentioned that it causes sleep disturbances - and 2 nights prior, I was *so* anxious/bouncy/pinging that I could NOT sleep! It happened out of the blue for me, and since I log everything, I noted that I'd taken my coconut oil both nights too close to bedtime! I love love the anecdotal information from people. I'm not sure if they realize how helpful they are in sometimes off-handed remarks, etc. I'm very grateful. I took the stuff earlier yesterday and slept very well last night.
As far as not low carbing on UDs, etc... Hey? You do what you can! If that's not how you want to do it, don't do it that way! JUDDD doesn't mention eating one way/WOE/diet or another while doing the Up/Down days!
The only real reason I do LC is that if I don't do JUDDD for any reason, I'm still LCing. I like the LC/higher fat/mod protein because it has really nipped the urges to eat off plan, and I always feel satisfied or at least "good" on my DDs. I realized gluten/wheat is a problem for me and had caused inflammation/bloat to my abdomen and was generally sucking the life out of me, and with it gone, it makes me feel soooooo much better. I don't even eat LC wraps and that kind of thing, but that's *my* choice, and doesn't have to be yours!
FWIW, if I could do it, I would do it: true every other day (EOD) fasting of DD/UD/DD/UD/DD/UD/DD instead of my UD/MD/DD/UD/DD/UD/DD. People say the loss is better if you can do the true EOD. Any way I've tried to slice it, it works out badly from a scheduling standpoint. I also get confused, so if I don't have specific days of the week designated as a "DD" or whatever, it throws me off. I'm organized, but I'm definitely not that organized. LMAO
If there was one thing I wish I could do differently, it would be that, but for now, this schedule of mine will have to be good enough.
And really... isn't that what it's about? Making these WOEs fit your life - for life? Because of the benefits of fasting, I know I will continue to do some form of it, even if it is one day a week, for the rest of my life. Not for weight maintenance, per se, but for the longevity and other health benefits.
Also, fwiw, I know it's a calorie punch, but I absolutely make sure I take my 2 Tbs coconut oil every day, even (and especially) on my DDs. For me, I firmly believe it may be what makes getting through DDs possible at all.

Anyway, know what you're doing is right and the first few DDs are the pits. Once you get past it, you will feel much, much better about doing them! Hang in there, I know you can do it!!!

Last edited by Sereen : Mon, Jun-02-14 at 07:34. Reason: Good grammar is a virtue? LOL
  #1241   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-14, 15:53

Plan: Low carb JUDDD
Stats: 200/183/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hello all , I have just started on JUDDD . It's good to see all of you 😊
  #1242   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-14, 17:18

Hi Zubenelek

Not to be a Debbie Downer here, but I think I might be the only person JUDDDing on this forum. tbagram made a brief appearance, but has not returned. While there is a wealth of information in this thread, it is old and none of the people who were once here JUDDDing are currently engaged in JUDDDing.
At least one is still an active member here, though definitely not JUDDDing.

This forum still has a number of people with a wealth of information if you're low carbing *and* doing JUDDD, but it isn't required to do low carb and JUDDD. I do low carb when doing JUDDD, so it works for me, but it is a lonely place from a JUDDDing standpoint.

Either way, please feel free to make yourself at home here and if you're interested in support, I'll be more than happy to lend it. Also feel free to poke around in my journal. If you have any questions about it, please feel free to ask me and I'll try to answer you the best way I can.

Welcome to the forum!
  #1243   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-14, 06:29

BF:

Hi all, I'm still here and have made JUDDD my way of life. After years of seeking and questioning everything I have finally come to my resting place and no longer even think of dieting or loosing weight for that matter.

I have determined that the rest of my life will be this WOE. I keep track of calories on Fat Secret, on my DD mostly. Not so much on UD but try to keep it under 2500.

I no longer weigh myself and let the scale control how I feel for the day. My thought is that I may weigh once a month. I no longer care about how much I weigh. I care that I am sticking to this and feel good. I really can tell I am loosing by my clothes and thats good enough for me.

It's kind of liberating to only worry about which day is this is

... an UD or a DD. I guess this is why I don't check in here too often.
  #1244   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-14, 11:49

Hiya tbagram! I only mentioned you since you resurrected the old thread and you were the latest poster (aside from me). Either way, it's good to see you. You've got more JUDDD experience than I, so hopefully if someone has a question, they don't have to rely on just my feeble explanation alone.

Unlike tbagram, I am actively trying to lose weight, but I don't think JUDDD is working for me on that account - or at least not alone. It's all good though because it is helping me in other ways. I still post oddities/changes or whatever to my journal here. It appears that we both sort-of do what we do and don't seek a lot of JUDDD support.

I track everything that goes into my mouth on a spreadsheet (to get a more accurate carb count) and in MyFitnessPal (to watch things like sodium and potassium). I was going to try FitDay, but I just couldn't get there to start this weekend as I'd hoped.
I keep my DDs by the numbers - so right now in the mid-400s, and I just try to get in at least a thousand more on my UDs - like 1500 or so. It might be that I don't do a true EOD schedule and have two UDs in a row on Sunday and Monday, but I don't care since it's the way I need it to be.

Zubenelek: So... while we aren't a big or really active group on this thread, we're here if you need us!
  #1245   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-14, 10:44

Plan: JUDDD 4/30/2012
Stats: 154/141/135 Female 54.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

I am still here…returning after the past 7 months of dealing with my mom's very fast onset dementia…finally have her in a safe place but my eating did not stay in check.

So now back to wanting to relose the 12 pounds I have regained. Sigh.

Restarted JUDDD about two weeks ago. Forums are invaluable IMO for motivation and tips from others. I NEED to be here…and there are other forums out there more focused on JUDDD so more activity and less crickets! I do tend to visit those more often.

I simply cannot do LC anymore. On my DD I tend to stay lower carb because protein works best for me to stave off hunger it seems. I also use CO on my DD. My DD are ~ 700 and UD ~ 1800 or so (light activity calculation). Average of 1500 cals every day, enough to help me lose at a fair pace.

Sereen, you may not be losing weight as quickly as you would like, but our body composition continues to change and you may find your clothes may fit better, so that's why so many of us may not look at the scale as much as we used to.

Also, as an observation, if your DD are 400 and UD 1500 4 x week, that would mean a daily intake average of just over 1000 cals which your body may interpret as closer to starvation mode. You may lose faster if you increase your UD. At your present weight your UD should be around 2100 cals or so, I just did the calculation for me at 64” and 53 years and 250 pounds, and that is the UD number. So your UD calories may be a bit more or less depending on your height and age. What I have learned on other JUDDD forums is that we have to be sure to eat enough on UD to fuel our DD and to keep our metabolism guessing so to speak, which encourages weight loss, and prevents “starvation”, and how the body responds to too little calories.