Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-18, 05:14

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default Don't rely solely on your eyes and instinct - use your tounge

I thought it would be fun to relate this cautionary tale and I guess a confession of sorts. Lately I've been making a desert before bed of 1oz 100 percent bakers chocolate, 1oz pecans, stevia erythritol and salt. I chop up the chocolate and nuts and mix in a ramekin with salt and sweetener.

The last few days this mixture has been really good. Slightly different good. Last night I nibbled on some of the chocolate plain and went, "WTF!?" It was sweet. took a look at the box that I had just tossed into the garbage and it was 56% cacao - ha! I ate some more and confirmed that it was indeed sweet to my tongue. I finished eating and enjoyed the nut mixture and rest of the bar.

Outstanding flavor - it's the sugar that makes it good

I've updated my last 5 entries to reflect the extra 12 net carbs that I didn't track (1 oz per day minus the 2 NC that I did add in) and am bringing the extra 2 bars that I have (less than $2 each at Walmart) to give to friends that eat sweets at the beach.

The last time I was in walmart I didn't read the front of the box and grabbed the "Brown" box (4 of them) and didn't realize till now but had a hint along the way of the flavor change.

So lessons: 1) Read labels and 2) 56% Cacao chocolate is VERY TASTY~! even straight out of the wrapper

Revised NC numbers last 5 days:

KX=Ketonix, NC=Net Carb, LBS=English Pounds, Act=(Type-Intensity[1-10])

Date - Kx - Nc - Lbs - Act
0908 - 36 - 42 - 207 - KiteFoil-8
0909 - XX - 33 - XXX - KiteFoil-8
0910 - 57 - 38 - 207 - Low
0911 - 48 - 32 - 209 - KiteFoil-8
0912 - 60 - 66 - 210 - KiteFoil-7 (56% Cacao - redo NC last 4 days up 12)
0913 - 51 - 00 - 209 -

And some pictures:

No damage done (as far as I know), lesson relearned.

Peace and Love,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-18, 08:23
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I had an "oops" moment with a dark chocolate bar as well. There was an import brand of extra dark Belgian chocolate that I used to buy when it was on sale. It didn't give a % cacao, but the net carbs were the best I'd seen. Then one day I decided to plug the nutrition facts for that chocolate into MY PLAN. It wouldn't take it. I did the math and realized my mistake. The carbs number on the nutrition label had already accounted for the 6g of fiber per serving. It didn't say net carbs, but that is what it was. When I added 6g of fiber to the listed carb count the math worked.

Like your mishap, this too was very good chocolate. I suspected that there was something too good to be true about it. Yep - it was too good to be true. Sugar does that. I don't buy that chocolate anymore. I'd read that other countries often remove fiber from the carb count on their nutrition labels. I didn't realize that they could import it into the US labeled that way. Very confusing to the consumer.

Last edited by khrussva : Thu, Sep-13-18 at 10:28.